119:155 Salvation is far from the wicked: for they do not seek your statutes. Strong's Hebrew: 3091. (Yehoshua) -- "the LORD is Therefore, Yeshua is actually an Aramaic rendering of Yahushua. The average English citizen of the dayprobably pronounced the name JAY-zus, which ultimately evolved into ourModern English JEE-zus. While the dialect changes, the object itself does not. [9], Yeshua in Hebrew is a verbal derivative from "to rescue", "to deliver". For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for thenameof the Master Yahushua.. 52:10 Yahweh has made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God. This is why #3443 mentions Yeshuwa as coming from Chaldean (Aramaic) in the above definition (3443. The name occurs in the Hebrew of the Old Testament at verses Ezra 2:2, 2:6, 2:36, 2:40, 3:2, 3:8, 3:9, 3:10, 3:18, 4:3, 8:33; Nehemiah 3:19, 7:7, 7:11, 7:39, 7:43, 8:7, 8:17, 9:4, 9:5, 11:26, 12:1, 12:7, 12:8, 12:10, 12:24, 12:26; 1 Chronicles 24:11; and 2 Chronicles 31:15, and also in Aramaic at Ezra 5:2. Man or Yahweh? Yeshua and the Hebrew Alphabet - Hebrew4christians.com 33:2 O Yahweh, be gracious to us; we have waited for you: be you their arm every morning, our salvation also in the time of trouble. Notice that Celsus was quoting Christians as saying that the name of their teacher (Yahushua no doubt) must not be spoken improperly and that it must not be spoken in a Greek way or Latin way, but in a Barbarian tongue for it to be effective. Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. 5715 || Though the ayin has no sound of its own, it controls a vowel sound. Yahshua is a proposed transliteration of , the original Hebrew name of Jesus. One name is translated from Hebrew into English, the other from Greek into English. Joshua is stated as Jeshua in some English Bibles, and as you read several of these verses, you can see the resemblance of Joshua leading the Jews out of Egypt as how Yeshua would lead and save all people years later as the Savior. ko amar ha'amein ed ha'emet ve'hatzedekve'reishit beriat ha'elohim. In the Septuagint and other Greek-language Jewish texts, such as the writings of Josephus and Philo of Alexandria, (Isos) is the standard Koine Greek form used to translate both of the Hebrew names: Yehoshua and Yeshua. Acts 19:17- This became known both to all Jews and Greeks dwelling in Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and thenameof the Master Yahushua was magnified. Leon Modena argues that it was Jesus himself who made his disciples remove the ayn, and that therefore they cannot now restore it. These things further indicate that Yeshua isnt from Hebrew, but is an Aramaic form of Yahushua. This form gaining in popularity fairly recently. 8142 || Yeshua Dimensional Bracelet - Hebrew Word Pics 7Meanings of Yahweh - God's Name in the BibleThe Meaning of Hosanna - Powerful Name of Jesus from the BibleJehovah Jireh: The Lord Will Provide Name of GodJehovah Nissi: "The Lord is My Banner" Name of GodWhat is the Meaning of the Name El Shaddai? The Hebrew name of Jesus is probably pronounced Yeshua, although this is uncertain and depends on the reconstruction of several ancient Hebrew dialects. 2617 || Yet Yaakov has also undergone metamophosis, becoming James in English, Santiago in Spanish, and Jacques in French! It is amazing how far men will go in order to cleave to tradition! Portuguese speakers call him Jesus, but with a "J" that sounds like "geh," and Spanish speakers call him Jesus, with a "J" that sounds like "hey." The Following Video covers this topic in more depth: Some have written me asking for an explanation of why I use the form Yahushua in reference to the Messiah while others use Yahshua, Yeshua or Yehoshua. Acts 16:18- And this she did for many days. Obviously, this is not literally speaking of the man Yahushua, son of Yahuzadak. It is speaking of the Messiah, called The Branch who would be a Priest AND King. It is important that we acknowledge the full meaning. Acts 5:40- And they agreed with him, and when they had called for the apostles and beaten [them], they commanded that they should not speak in thenameof Yahushua, and let them go. Probably the first monks to do this were German, because the letter j inthat language sounds the same as the y in English, as still seen in theirlanguage today (German ja is pronounced yah). Talshir suggests, even though Galileans tended to keep the traditional spelling for Yehoshua with waw for /o/, they still pronounced the name similarly to the Judeans, as 'Yeshua' [jeua], who tended to spell the name phonetically as , perhaps reducing the name thus: [jhoua] > [joua] > [jeua], with the /o/ palatalizing (via dissimilation) before the //. To demonstrate this, lets look at the individual letters of. Since they understood that the J sound is not in the Hebrew language, Yahshua was apparently considered correct. It is all these changes that have brought about the confusion. Acts 9:14- And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Yourname. 15 But the Master said to him, Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. Adapted from Living Word Pictures by Dr. Frank Seekins. A Jewish teacher (Jesus) speaks to His Jewish disciples, from the Hebrew Scriptures, while in the land of Israel. 70:4 Let all those who seek you rejoice and be glad in you: and let such as love your salvation say continually, Let God be magnified. Is, Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law? Jesus replied: Love. 4438 || The vowel points are the little dots and dashes under and above certain Hebrew letters. 30:15 Terrors are turned upon me: they pursue my soul as the wind: and my salvation passes away as a cloud. In short, those who insist we exclusively call Jesus Christ Yeshua are overlooking the fact that how the Messiah's name is translated is not essential to salvation. In the Hebrew, this name is spelled . 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall grow old like a garment, and those who dwell in it shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished. When the Gospels werewritten in Greek, therefore, the Evangelists had a real problem regarding howthey might render our Lords name into acceptable Greek. Acts 8:12- But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of Elohim and thenameof Yahushua Messiah, both men and women were baptized. All of them, of course, in their own language. Unlike English, Hebrew was written with mostly all consonants. Recently, an ossuary box was found in Israel that some believed to be the burial container for James, the brother of Yeshua. For it to mean Salvation it would have to have the Hebrew letter heh added to the end of it, changing the spelling to(Yod Shin Waw AyinHeh) and it would need to have the Sheva vowel point under the Yod. If His name was Yeshua, why do we call Him Jesus? | GotQuestions.org Acts 19:13- Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call thenameof the Master Yahushua over those who had evil spirits, saying, We exorcise you by the Yahushua whom Paul preaches.. This late pronunciation is found nowhere else in the the scriptures. 22:1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? 42:5 Why are you cast down, O my soul? We know the Bible can be hard to understand and you want to get more out of it. 8451 || It was up to the reader to supply the vowels in each word based on the context of the word. Such a familiar name as Solomon was actually Shlomo inHebrew; Samson was Shimshon, and Samuel was Shmuel. [40] But E.Y. (2021, September 3). If you visit a Hebrew-speaking community of believers, you may notice that it is not only Jesus name that sounds unfamiliar. Exodus 14:13 And Moses said to the people, Do not fear, stand still, and see the salvation of Yahweh, which he will show to you to day: for the Egyptians whom you have seen to day, you shall see them again no more for ever. 6663 || 4467 || 62:2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved. But while this may be true in some Hebrew words, there is evidence to support that this was not necessarily true in ancient times. Yahweh is the one who named His Son and we simply have no business changing it. See transcription in Bauckham essay in Quarles. Followers of Messianic Judaism, Jews who accept Jesus Christ as the Messiah, think so, and they're not alone. Learn Religions, Sep. 3, 2021, learnreligions.com/jesus-aka-yeshua-700649. Because Hebrew does not need to have the extra wawto give us the shua sound (the Hebrew language does not always supply vowels), this would explain the shorter spelling. Acts 21:13- Then Paul answered, What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? He hath gold, and all the forces of power. 118:14 Yahweh is my strength and song, and he has become my salvation. 7676 || The use of Yeshua in Hebrew text connects more to when Jesus emerged in the presence of those around Him, as well as Hebrew being mentioned, earlier, as the holy language. [37], Some of rabbinical sources comment on the reasons for the missing ayn from Yeshu, as opposed to the Hebrew Bible Yeshua and Yehoshua. No. 12:3 Therefore with joy shall you draw water out of the wells of salvation. 2472 || "[38][39] Against this David Flusser suggested that the name Yeshu itself was "in no way abusive," but "almost certainly" a Galilean dialect form of Yeshua. Waw Also called Vav. Indeed, Yeshua is the Hebrew name for Jesus. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." Around 178 CE, a pagan by the name of Celsus engaged in written debates with Christians. What a story! But as mentioned before,is not a legitimate Hebrew word. Jehoshua), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Israelites:Jesus.. Although the term, Yeshua, cannot be found among Christian Bibles today, the hints at Yeshua can be found among mentions of Joshua, son of Nun, in Deuteronomy 32:44 (Joshua leading the people of Israel out of Egypt with Moses), Nehemiah 8:17 (the gathering of the Feast of Tabernacles that was lasted performed in the times of Joshua), Acts 7:45 (the tabernacle in the wilderness brought to the Gentiles by Joshua), Hebrews 4:8 (Joshua speaking of another day ahead for Gods people), and in the books of First and Second Chronicles and Ezra. This is the ignored letter in the pronunciation Yahshua. What Is the Meaning of Immanuel in the Bible? 11 Take the silver and gold, make an elaborate crown, and setiton the head of(Yahushua)the son of Jehozadak, the high priest. The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth (Exodus 34:6). In fact, parts of the book of Ezra are written in Aramaic. They would then have to say Adonai Adonai, a rather odd (if not a bit embarrassing) phrase. (4QJoshA, bracketed text missing from manuscript), Joshua 6:7 Then[said] to the people, [Go forward, march around the city, and let the armed guard march ahead of the ark of Yahweh](4QJoshA, bracketed text missing from manuscript), The longer spelling is also found in Deuteronomy 3:21 of the Dead Sea Scrolls(4QDeutM). An argument in favor of the Hebrew reduced form , Yeshua, as opposed to Yehoshua, is the Western Syriac language, in which the pronunciation is Yeshu /jeu/. Acts 2:21 says, "And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (ESV). In the documentary The Lost Tomb of Jesus, archeologist Amos Kloner stated that the name Yeshua was then a popular form of the name Yehoshua and was "one of the common names in the time of the Second Temple. In Luke 1, the archangel Gabriel tells Mary (or Miriam) to name her son Yeshua, meaning salvation. An angel also tells Joseph, you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins. (Matt 1:21-22) Much like other Hebrew names, it was His calling and destiny from the beginning. Original Word: Part of Speech: proper name, masculine; proper name, of a location; proper name Transliteration: Yehoshua Phonetic Spelling: (yeh-ho-shoo'-ah) Definition: "the LORD is salvation", Moses' successor, also the name of a number of Isr During times before the Rabbis came to prominence, Yahwehs name was considered to be very important to pronounce. (Interestingly, at the timeof Jesus, the Paleo-Hebrew characters were used to write in Aramaic!). (Psalm 14:7), Let those who love Your salvation (Yeshua) say continually, The LORD be magnified! Fairchild, Mary. The Gentiles of the RomanEmpire spoke Greek and Latin, and simply could not pronounce Yeshua. The English spelling of Yeshua is Joshua. However, when translated from Hebrew into Greek, in which the New Testament was written, the name Yeshua becomes Isous. We cannot know for sure, but it is unlikely. The English spelling for Isous is "Jesus.". Also, as seen in the above scans of the Strongs Lexicon (and the Hebrew manuscripts as well), the scribes used the Sheva vowel pointing to replace the Ah sound in Yahweh and Yahushua, not the Tsere vowel pointing as is found in the name Yeshua. Article Images Copyright 2023 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. The Late Biblical Hebrew spellings for earlier names often contracted the theophoric element Yeho- to Yo-. The bible code is found in Leviticus. (See image above of the Dead Sea Scrolls Manuscript.). Acts 15:14- Simon has declared how Elohim at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for Hisname. (Modena was a 17th-century polemicist and does not have reliable linguistic evidence for the claim.) (Luke 2:30-32), It is extraordinary that he said my eyes have seen yeshua while he was actually holding baby Yeshua in his arms! Kutscher showed that the ayn was still pronounced in Galilee, refuting a thesis by Paul Kahle. What Does It Really Mean That Your Body Is a Temple? 2022 One For Israel is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization headquartered in Israel. How would Yeshua (Jesus) have written His Name? | Jewish Voice Personally, I want nothing to do with the unscriptural tradition of saying Adonai/Lord/Elohim/God in place of Yahweh. Why dont Christians use it today? Acts 15:26- men who have risked their lives for thenameof our Master Yahushua Messiah. 2376 || Acts 18:15- But if it is a question of words andnamesand your own law, look [to] [it] yourselves; for I do not want to be a judge of such [matters].. The name Yeshua/Jeshua is the Aramaic form of the Hebrew name ( yehoshua, Strong's #3091), which means "Yah is salvation." The Latinized form of Yehoshua is . 25 ways to help you pray & learn about Israel and the Jewish people! But your walls are better. 106:4 Remember me, O Yahweh, with the favour that you have towards your people: O visit me with your salvation; When the Normans invaded England in 1066, they brought with them theFrench language. In biblical Hebrew, a name of a person (or town) was more than just a unique identifying title. The reason for the two different Strongs word numbers is Ezra 5:2 is a part of the book of Ezra which was written in Aramaic (Ezra 4:8 through 6:18; 7:12-26). Yeshua - Wikipedia Yeshua is the Aramaic form of Yahushua and Yshuah is the Hebrew word for Salvation. Blair Parke is a freelance writer for BibleStudyTools.com and editor forXulon Press. Pronunciation of the Messiah's Name (Yahushua) - EliYah Ministries marks for the vowels were not invented by the Masoretic scribes until somecenturies after Messiah, and were simple dots and dashes, placed above orbeneath the letters. In the Holy Land at the time of Messiah, Aramaic had replaced Hebrew ineveryday conversation, although Hebrew remained Lishon HaKadosh (theHoly Language), and was used in worship and daily prayer. Thus, they pointedto produce the same sound seen in Yehovah.. 13:14; 22:20; 1 Kings 10:6; 22:16; Prov. #Yeshua #Hebrew #hebrewroots #wisdom @RAVIKUMARNITTURU1 Did you know that Yeshua is revealed in a Hebrew letters? First, it is the understanding that Yeshua is a more personal name of Jesus because it originated in the lifetime that Jesus was alive on earth. The latest Jewish Voice news, articles, and resources sent straight to your inbox. 3722 || Not a small number of people have found, Some have claimed the New Testament is wrong about Genesis 3:15? Then followed the first of two almost insurmountable problems withHebrew and Aramaic pronunciation. Since we seek to walk in the truth, we should want to proclaim His name as Yahweh gave it. Yeshua HaMashiach - Anointed to Save | Jewish Voice Each letter is trimmed in a smooth finish with hammered and oxidized interior background with a black leather strap. The Hebrew word for Salvation is word number #3444. Yeshua was the Aramaic version of the Hebrew name Yehoshua (Joshua), and means Yahweh saves.. This letter is nowhere represented. We are not commanded to call upon the name of the Lord exclusively in Hebrew. Retrieved from https://www.learnreligions.com/jesus-aka-yeshua-700649. The Hebrew names which begin with(Yod Heh Waw) are all written Yahu- and never Yeho.