In the Morning I'll Be Gone: A Detective Sean Duffy Novel (The Sean It must stick to certain rules, including the one McKinty identifies as Chekhovian (and didnt have to, in this genre): Is there a gun? Try. The Characters: Rachel, her daughter Kylie . Choose from Same Day Delivery, Drive Up or Order Pickup. She cant do this, she must do this, she is now a completely different person who has done this. Jewells (I Found You, 2017, etc.) I can't believe what went through my mind while reading itthe things I might be willing to do to save my child. Iactually felt McKinty plumbed far greater depth in the narrative ofThe Chain mastermind than that of Rachel or her daughter.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'bookloverbookreviews_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_1',685,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bookloverbookreviews_com-large-leaderboard-2-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'bookloverbookreviews_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_2',685,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bookloverbookreviews_com-large-leaderboard-2-0_1'); .large-leaderboard-2-multi-685{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:7px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:7px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:50px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}. Amazon.com: The Chain: 9780316463256: McKinty, Adrian: Books "David Lagercrantz, author of The Girl in the Spider's Web and The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series). Description When a mother is targeted by a dangerous group of masterminds, she must commit a crime to save her kidnapped daughter--or risk losing her forever--in this "propulsive and original" award-winning thriller (Stephen King). You have never read anything quite like The Chain and you will never be able to forget it. You wont shake it for a long time. Dark and unsettling, this novels end arrives abruptly even as readers are still moving at a breakneck speed. 2.0 stars I hate to spend a lot of time reviewing this book because I was thoroughly unimpressed. Flashbacks inevitably slow a narrative down, and The Chain is all about momentum. Hang on tight, because once you start this book, you cant stop youll be caught in THE CHAIN. books have won the Edgar Award, the Ned Kelly Award (3 times), The Anthony Award, Barry Award, Macavity . Reasonable shipping cost. The stand-alone thriller was inspired by the chain letters of his youth and contemporary reports of hostage exchanges. McKinty's writing is paced to match. When you purchase an independently reviewed book through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. "Lou Berney, author of November Road"Starting The Chain is like climbing aboard a runaway train. Max Brooks "Booklist (starred review)"The Chain has all the hallmarks of a monster hit, including a terrifying premise that had me wondering: Is this actually happening somewhere right now? Peter (on semi hiatus and trying to catch up), Sandy *TheworldcouldendwhileIwasreadingndIwouldnto, https://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-best-books-i-read-in-2018.html. I asked myself again and againwould I do that? NPR Review: 'The Chain,' By Adrian McKinty : NPR The Island - By Adrian Mckinty : Target Just brilliant. The Chain reaches and surpasses an almost painful level of page-turning intensity that so many thrillers strive for and never quite achieve. Buy "The Chain" on iTunes . He now lives in New York City with his wife and two children. Dannii Minogue and boyfriend Adrian Newman look cosy in crowd at the In Adrian McKinty's thriller The Chain, that's precisely what the victims are required to do. The Chain by Adrian McKinty 0 votes, 0.0% The . On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Human beings are creatures whose lives are governed by deep instincts. YOU WILL BECOME EACH ONE. How? "If the hotel walls had ears, this would be their story", "Roger Ferris, International Man of Mystery", "Five-minute memoir: Adrian McKinty recalls a scary school run during", "Aged 16, I vowed never to read another novel", "Mean season: In Northern Ireland, the Troubles come as regular as rainBy Adrian McKinty (Harper's Magazine)", "From Uber driving to a huge book deal: Adrian McKinty's life-changing phone call", "I gave up writing and found work in a bar a year and a half later my book was sold to 36 countries", "New Thriller 'The Chain' Has An Origin Almost As Exciting As Its Plot", "Troubles fiction too urgent and topical to be historical", "Review - Dead I Well May Be by Adrian McKinty", "Fifty grand by Adrian McKinty | Book review", "Adrian McKinty's Hard-Boiled Belfast Trilogy", "The best recent thrillers reviews roundup", "CLAU - Beehive Award Nominees: 2007-2008", "Spread the Word 2009 | Fiction and Non-Fiction Books | National Book Tokens | World Book Day | Booksellers Association", "2010 Spinetingler Award Best Novel: Rising Star WINNER | Spinetingler", "Booktrade.info - Book Trade Announcements - 2011 Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Longlist Revealed", "2013 Spinetingler Award Best Novel: Rising Star/Legends WINNER Spinetingler", "Le tueur se meurt de James Sallis: meilleur polar de l'anne 2013", "Announcing the 2013 Ned Kelly Shortlist | Australian Crime Writers Association", "Grand Prix de Littrature Policire 2014 la slection", "Long List Announced for Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award 2014", "Carrick author Adrian McKinty scoops literary accolade for Troubles thriller", "20th Annual Audie finalists announced in thirty categories. STEPHEN KING, McKinty is one of the most striking and most memorable crime voices to emerge on the scene in years. "Gene Walz, Winnipeg Free Press"Adrian McKinty is one of the most striking and most memorable crime voices to emerge on the scene in years. Baby Driver helmer Edgar Wright will direct, while Jane Goldman (Kingsman Brooks is a pro at building suspense even if it plays out in some rather spectacularly yucky episodes, one involving a short spear that takes its name from the sucking sound of pulling it out of the dead mans heart and lungs. Grossness aside, it puts you right there on the scene. She must pay a ransom and kidnap another family's child, and then that family must do the same for her daughter to be released. Stanley Milgram's postwar experiments in social cruelty, determining what kind of electric shocks subjects would administer to other people if they thought it was normal, aren't directly cited here, but they are essentially what The Chain is aboutBeneath its surface of high-speed thrills, The Chain is clearly the work of the philosophical thinker McKinty has always beenHe would like you to realize that what you're reading is existentialism in action, with Rachel defining herself moment by moment with each choice she makes. While Rachel scrambles to get the money together (even though it isnt about the money, she is told) and pick a child to steal, it becomes clear that she is being tracked and her every move is being monitored. Enabling JavaScript in your browser will allow you to experience all the features of our site. says the actress. [29], Two more Sean Duffy novels to be published by Blackstone Publishing[70][71], On a blog post dated July 15, 2021 on his oficcial site, McKinty explains that the 7th Sean Duffy novel (The Detective Up Late) may be out in late 2022. Suggested age range - Adult Format - Paperback Product dimensions - 5.5" W x 8.2" H x 1.1" D Genre - Mystery and Thriller Publisher - Little, Brown and Company, Publication date - 09-22-2020 THE CHAIN | Kirkus Reviews We learn Kylies kidnapping is just the latest in a horrifyingly effective ransom scheme, wherein parents are tasked with taking a child hostage in order for their own child to be released. It just doesn't get any better than this. And as brilliant The Chain is a superb construct; it's a self-perpetuating, self-disciplining system that relies on fact that the vast majority of kidnappings are resolved quickly, bloodlessly and profitably. How Marvel went big with Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. To McKinty's great credit, he can make readers wonder at any point whether the ground may fall beneath their feet and how much evil they might be pushed toward. Part of the appeal lies in a fiendishly clever and original premise, a premise Adrian McKinty plots out flawlessly. I raced to the end of the book and then went back to see how Adrian McKinty pulled it all off. It's Taken for mothers. Over and over as you read, you'll find yourself asking, Would I do this? Adrian McKinty steps on the gas early in this pulse-pounding, nerve-shredding, high-octane tale and he doesn't let up. An Amazon Best Book of July 2019: The Chain is one of those white-knuckle, stay-up-till-3 a.m. thrillers that keeps you reading feverishly because you just need to know how this one plays out. We catch glimpses of them. I have been very busy and unable to read a lot lately, but I have been wanting to read this one for a while, so I decided to give it a try. Buch von Adrian McKinty (Suhrkamp Verlag)", Fearless fiction and non-fiction from an award-winning publisher - Serpent's Tail Books, the psychopathology of everyday life - Adrian McKinty's blog, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Adrian_McKinty&oldid=1130181628, Articles with dead external links from June 2021, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, University of Warwick, University of Oxford, 2007 Audie Award for Best Thriller/Suspense for, 2008 Young Hoosier Award and Beehive Award shortlist for, 2010 Spinetingler Award for Best Novel for, 2011 Theakston Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award longlist for, 2013 Spinetingler Award for Best Crime Novel for, 2013 Prix Du Meilleur Polar shortlist for, 2013 Crime Fest Last Laugh Award shortlist for, 2013 Ned Kelly Award for Best Crime Novel shortlist for, 2014 Grand Prix de Littrature Policire shortlist for, 2014 Theakston Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award shortlist for, 2015 Audie Award For Best Thriller shortlist for, 2020 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award longlist for, 2020 Ned Kelly Award for Best International Crime Fiction for, This page was last edited on 29 December 2022, at 00:29. [ This book was one of our most anticipated titles of July. This is the worst version of a chain letter you can possibly imagineand be a part of!! Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date. TO FREE THEM YOU MUST ABDUCT SOMEONE ELSE'S CHILD. This is the eleventh book I have read (well, almost read) by Adrian McKinty. The Chain Author: Adrian McKinty Publisher: Henry Holt and Company/ Macmillan Publishers Rating: 5 Stars Publication Date: July 9, 2019 Genre: Psychological, Crime, Thriller Disclaimers: This book does contain some uncomfortable subjects such as child abuse, depression, kidnapping, substance abuse and elements of the Dark Web.If you are wary of any of these subjects, I would advise to consider . "Adrian McKinty's The Chain is the rare thriller that's not only fiendishly clever but also powerfully empathetic, with both hair-raising twists and complex, fully-realized characters." New York Times bestselling author of Mystic River and Since We Fell - Dennis Lehane [22] Some reviewers have criticised the explicit use of violence in his novels.