The yard belonged to Catty Nelly and the cats and kittens were her kids so to speak. Off we would go and buy ourselves a lovely hot OXO drink. Another industry that was introduced, was that of salt-panning, later expanded upon in the 15th century, polluting the air and surrounding land. It was a long haul with 3rd rate equipment. In 1943 and 1944 in Italy there was a war. Sweets were wrapped in a square of newspaper which was rolled into a funnel. Comments made on this page may be used in follow-up sto See more 39,850 people like this 42,967 people follow this https://www.shieldsgazette.com/ +44 191 501 5800 gazette.news@northeast-press.co.uk A new book recalls the vibrant era of the 1950s when South Shields, like other towns, began looking forward after the dark days of war, Sign up for our free newsletter on Dave Morton's nostalgia and local history stories sent direct to your inbox. [citation needed] The fort was abandoned as the Roman Empire declined in the fourth century AD. Now we have the flyover, but imagine the line of cars if it hadn't been built. [3] Divisions living at the fort included Tigris bargemen (from Persia and modern day Iraq), infantry from Iberia and Gaul, and Syrian archers and spearmen. They handed over their wages every week and an allowance was given to each of them. This is a 35mm slide. Then we come to the jewel in the crown - "The Chute". The school was founded in 1867 to provide education for the children of the labouring and manufacturing and poorer classes, with regard to the principles of the established church of the same name which was affiliated with the school. cullercoats north-shields tynemouth whitley-bay. Right lads, give it plenty of wind. In 1864, a Tyne Commissioners dredger brought up a nine-pounder breech-loading cannon; more cannonballs have been found in the sands beside the Lawe; these artifacts belonged to the English civil war. I travelled to night school on the old fashioned buses, with the driver up in the cab on his own. 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s. Boxes were provided for customers to sit down until it was their turn. This is a 35mm slide. The 145-foot clock tower contains a Potts chiming clock and five bells, and is topped by a weathervane in the shape of a galleon. I went to Queen Victoria School. [4] The name South Shields developed from the 'Schele' or 'Shield', which was a small dwelling used by fishermen. This is a 35mm slide. The platform at the former South Shields Metro station is situated on a bridge directly above King Street the town's main shopping area. childhood local-history other royal-family transport wartime working-life. On Saturday morning I used to clean six doorsteps in our street and put rubbing stone on the edges. since 1860. When we were threshing we had to tie the bottoms of our dungarees as the rats and mice were scurrying all over the place. The baker bought ingredients for his gorgeous pasties from the local butcher and greengrocer. We were cycle troops, pedalling inland to secure a site. I would sit in the front of the van next to a small sink where the driver could wash his hands. We had a Cinema Club, although I seem to remember that most of the films were Laurel and Hardy. Historic Maps of South Shields and the local area. It was taken in 1962. Going to "the threepenny squash" picture house. celebrations-events childhood fashion shops-shopping. There is a mosque at Laygate, including the Yemeni School, which was visited by American boxer Muhammad Ali in 1977. The memory entitled Childhood in Howdon and Willington Quay brings back some very happy memories - strange how seeing something like that tugs at the old heart strings. childhood pastimes-entertainment shops-shopping working-life, I stand there in Northumberland Square, looking at the harbour view, 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s, celebrations-events transport working-life. I thought, Im terribly out of control here. and There were vague memories of a dentist living in the big house near the Hall, with a caravan in the garden which he used as a surgery. Posts. I was assigned to the toilet department and had appalling visions of being surrounded by mountains of toilet rolls. I think it was the biggest travelling shop in the world at that time! Historically in County Durham, the town has a population of 75,337, the third largest in Tyneside after Newcastle and Gateshead. 1960s Revisited - Ocean Beach Pleasure Park - Tripadvisor A Whitley Bay lady talks about her fathers experiences as a taxi driver during the 1920s and 30s. The new school was built at a cost of 19 million on the King George V School site and was opened in September 2011. As a young woman my mother was asked if she would be prepared to take an appointment as a Nanny to the local Spanish Consul in North Shields. The Roman garrison built a fort here around AD 160[2] and expanded it around AD 208 to help supply their soldiers along Hadrian's Wall as they campaigned north beyond the Antonine Wall. Going into the Tyne Tunnel was an exciting experience for a child, especially going down the incredibly long escalators. 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s, Ten-year-olds would carry glass jars full of sulphuric acid to and from the shops and no-one thought anything of it. If I wanted to buy a dress I went to Bell Bros. or D Hill Carter. Today, the Yemeni population of South Shields numbers around 1,000. The Kppen Climate Classification subtype for this climate is "Cfb" (Marine West Coast Climate/Oceanic climate).[15]. Friends visited specially so they could go to our shops. [48], In 1999, the white sector of the light was intensified by the addition of a PEL sector light above the optic, with the same occulting characteristic but a range of 19 nautical miles[49] (rather than 13, as previously). Timber yards, the prop yard and the river were the playgrounds of the children living there. Now I could be wrong, but the nurse would shove that needle in with all her might and half the time you thought she was using a spear. There was a wire to cut the cheese and a slicing machine for the bacon, The goods were delivered on Thursday or Friday, beautifully wrapped in parcels with brown paper and string. Tide marks were where the water either ran up your arms or down your neck, so you just let it dry or gave a quick rub with your sleeve. When the winch was released I was terrified and would have paid five pounds to get off! The Church of the Good Shepherd has been a haven for me - so full of wonderful memories of people and clergy. The Bangladeshi community is the third largest in the North East of England. Only one bomb hit us, but horribly it was plumb on the focsle. 1901, Popular Edition South Shields Town Hall - Wikipedia Sometimes, just for the hell of it, we would go looking for a chase. We just thought it was a great song. I used to love to go out with the carts and then take the horses to their stables, childhood house-home my-life working-life. On washing days two families shared a wash house where there was a tub pos-stick and a boiler. 1925, 3-Map Boxed Set I spent 15 months of my apprenticeship on board that ship. Maps of different years, series and scales available to browse and buy. The resultant play RIOT was staged at the venue in 2005 and 2008. celebrations-events shops-shopping working-life. It was the flagship, HMS Ark Royal, the biggest ship in the Royal Navy. We covered the shelter with soil from the park and my dad put an armour plated door on it. flexible offerings for business. We used to invade the cinema and fidget about upstairs, munching appalling concoctions of sticky goo. A bomb had hit a coal shed containing ten tons of coal, which duly vaporised, covering all who ventured out with coal dust. Also a laser quest and bowling ally on site too. You would occasionally hear an announcement Weve got a little boy with red hair, 5 years old and hes lost his mummy. Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right. The first showing of these films was on a white bed sheet propped up at the bottom of the yard. The shipyard men had their own distinctive tea cans and red and white spotted bait hankies. Longbenton was one big, muddy building site! It shows the arcade of Callers Store, Newcastle upon Tyne. The staff were given the job of painting a big red 'V' onto each of the cream drinking mugs. I had a weeks holiday from school, then went straight into the yards. Furthermore, Bede records Oswin giving a parcel of land to St Hilda for the foundation of a monastery here in c.647; the present-day church of St Hilda, by the Market Place, is said to stand on the monastic site. Cousin George could sing all the verses of the Lambton Worm plus many other Geordie songs. Save. [11] Later during World War II, the German Luftwaffe repeatedly attacked the town and caused massive damage to industries which supported the war effort, killing many innocent residents. We would eat the eggs no matter what state they were in. The coal was frozen solid in the railway trucks and could not be delivered on time to people. This photograph shows the Tynemouth Police First Aid team of 1956 in the Muster Rooms after winning a trophy in 1956. South Shields Town Hall is a Grade II listed building on Westoe Road in South Shields, Tyne and Wear, England. It was full of sticklebacks and wed spend many happy hours there fishing. We were the first firm in Whitley Bay to work a five day week. Guns were going and I said, Mum, look at all the shrapnel. She said, Never mind the shrapnel!. South Shields, King street .Road Safety 1950`s - YouTube I can remember going to Redheads, on the High Street, to get the accumulator charged, which meant carrying a container of sulphuric acid around! Louvre. The manager took pity on us and offered us a barn with clean straw by way of accommodation. - Newcastle restaurateur Terry Laybourne on reopening St Vincent for first time since Covid, Top city chef and 21 Hospitality Group owner Terry Laybourne talks about the March 9 re-launch of quayside restaurant St Vincent, the effects of the pandemic, the cost of living crisis and Newcastle's current dining scene, The 20 restaurants taking part in Morpeth's first ever Restaurant Week, Morpeth will host its first ever restaurant week from March 20 - 26 - here's the list of those taking part and the deals on offer, Afternoon tea in Harry Potter classroom promises to be a magical treat at Durham Cathedral, Durham Cathedral will be opening its rarely seen Chapter House which featured as Professor McGonagall's classroom in the Harry Potter films, Newcastle Beer and Cider Festival to celebrate a return to normal this March for first time since Covid, The March 29-April 1 festival at Northumbria University's Students Union will recapture the spirit of its pre-pandemic years, Ryan Riley recipe: miso, mustard chickpea dip with coriander crumb, In his latest Journal recipe, the Life Kitchen founder aims for a dish to mark the arrival of spring, BBC's Call the Midwife 'replacement' confirmed and it's an old favourite, The BBC has announced what will go into Call The Midwife's Sunday night slot after the end of its latest series, Saturday Night Takeaway's Ant McPartlin 'breaks' rules minutes into show as game takes chaotic turn, Ant and Dec bent the rules on Saturday Night Takeaway after a game of Ring My Bell attracted a bit too much interest, Lotto results draw LIVE: Winning Lotto numbers for Saturday, March 4, We will be bringing live breaking updates and results from the National Lottery's Lotto and Thunderball draw on Saturday, March 4, Ohara Davies defeats Lewis Ritson to set-up WBA super-lightweight title fight, The Forest Hall Fighter is back in action in a title eliminator against against London's Ohara Davies, Charlotte Crosby confirms Geordie Shore 'axe' as MTV make major change, Geordie Shore star Charlotte Crosby has spoken out about the future of the long-running MTV programme, Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway guest goes 'missing' at key moment in show, Ant and Dec were left hanging for a few moments as they crossed to speak to a guest on this weekend's Saturday Night Takeaway, Newcastle United notes: Bernardo Silva's big sign of respect and the huge Champions League bonus, The Magpies may have lost 2-0 to the Premier League champions but there were plenty of positives to take from the day, BBC's Steve Cram back on commentary duties after Newcastle fans Wembley 'insult', Athletics legend and BBC pundit Steve Cram was the subject of a chant from Newcastle United fans at Wembley, International Women's Day 2023: Events happening in Newcastle and the North East, International Women's Day will take place on Wednesday, March 8, How tip offs helped DWP fraud investigators catch these benefit cheats, The team in Newcastle can spend years investigating cases to bring swindlers to court, Eddie Howe's 'vital' Newcastle group almost change Man City game as positive found in defeat, Eddie Howe now has a vast bench to choose from at Newcastle United, 380 homes without heating or hot water in Stanley after water gets into the gas pipes, People in Stanley have been left without heating and hot water overnight after problems with gas and water mains, Snow set to hit rural areas but miss more built-up parts of the region, North East is set for Met Office yellow weather warning of snow and ice from Monday to Tuesday - but some parts will remain relatively unscathed, ITV's Ant and Dec hit with Saturday Night Takeaway 'ban' by defiant guest, ITV hosts Ant and Dec received a dressing down from guest Mimi Webb as she appeared on Saturday Night Takeaway, Inside the Whitley Bay butchers that has been serving Geordies for more than 100 years, Kathryn Meadows is the fourth generation of the family to take over Nicholsons Butchers in Whitley Bay, Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United: Missed chances and Pep Guardiola tactical switch cost Magpies, Newcastle United lose to Man City at the Etihad Stadium once again on a day of squandered opportunities, Olympic Gold Medalist Rebecca Adlington to open swimming facility in Benton, To celebrate its opening the centre is offering a week of free introductory swimming lessons for all children aged 0-11 years old for a limited time, Vicky Pattison opens Dirty Gertie's - the 'world first' mullet-only salon in Newcastle, Vicky Pattison arrived by rickshaw to celebrate the opening of a rather unique salon, Saturday Night Takeaway's Ant McPartlin 'break' rules minutes into show as game takes chaotic turn. We would have races and snowball fights and all things like this. The club was voted out of the league at the end of their second season and the club disbanded shortly afterwards.[103]. Play in the arcades or the This story is covered in a documentary film, The King of South Shields. It was taken in 1962. The club recently shot to fame with a run to win the FA Vase in 2017. Climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year-round. On Sundays a big crowd of people used to gather at Marshis Ice Cream Parlour at the top of the High Street. Fly away Valiant Heart on your silver wings. The population increased from 12,000 in 1801 to 75,000 by the 1860s, bolstered by economic migration from Ireland, Scotland and other parts of England. Anything that stayed still got painted white, We were hanging on to an empire, they were fighting for independence. I had a knitted two-piece bathing costume, north-shields tynemouth wallsend whitley-bay. I knew something unusual was going on - my Mother was still in bed at lunchtime!