The French had a desire to put an end to the French Monarchy and develop a more improved government that allowed people to have more rights in the society. Contrast that with 47% of Americans, which is a huge difference. ketchup is a sauce so you get what you get. All of the flavor comes from the natural ingredients themselves, whether it be sweet tomatoes in the summertime, tart pears in the winter, or a 20-year old wine at any time of night. They're woven into the socio-cultural fabric of both countries that shapes us from birth. By adding your email you agree to get updates about Spoon University Healthier. Thank you, my dear young lady. To figure out why, we took a look at some of the differences between French and American diets to see what we could learn. During this time, the two countries were ruled by absolute monarchs, which had subjected people to oppressive rules, which . The evidence of this runs the gamut from fast food places to boxed cake mix to cereal to candy and even oatmeal you cant escape it. That could stem from how many French people have their own vegetable gardens, go to the market every morning, and eat meals that are so colorful, you could probably hang it on a wall (although its not advised to do so). These journeys and the exchange of people, ideas, animals, food, and diseases between the two groups shaped history for the next five hundred years. Instead of moving to another country, you should probably just look for change in the food systems here. Love you, dont become one of those karens. Bananas in the us are 49cents per pound, while in Australia, they are 65cents per pound, in season. When the Europeans arrived at this new-found land, they discovered what they considered to be an entirely new species of humans, the Native Americans. Execution Clise sees a fundamental difference between U.S. and French decision-making: Americans tend to focus on execution, whereas the French are more likely to emphasize the deliberative process, she says. Its time to start adopting some of their positive habits fora healthier, more positive perception of food. The French don't eliminate any food groups altogether and instead live by the everything in moderation rule. The Aztecs successfully did so until Cortes retaliated to capture a native land. Come on, we all know homemade chicken soup is way better than the canned version, right? And their food is sooooo good, tasty and healthy. Cant travel! French School Lunches vs. American School Lunches - Taste of Home The main differences revolved around how their weapons were made, what constituted housing for each group. Now compare US with Frances versionif you can find any. The French don't eliminate any food groups altogether and instead live by the everything in moderation rule. I began buying a good amount of my foods at Natural Grocers/ Vitamin Cottage many years ago. The French set out time to eat up to six times a day, each meal time with a special name and purpose. Following our 2015 petition to get BHT out of American cereal(11) Kelloggs removed BHT from several brands (like Rice Krispies), but still use it 4 years later in Frosted Flakes despite selling it BHT-free in the U.K. Ill tell you why. Throughout the chapter, it explains the difficulties that the spanish explorers faced when attempting to conquer new lands. Not sure how to incorporate such a strict limitation into your diet? Sure, France has fast food restaurants like McDonalds, but most French food takes pride in is slowness. Copyright document.write(new Date().getFullYear()) Her Campus Media LLC. Thank you so much for your commitment and diligence! On article that exemplifies the cultural differences between the Native Americans and the Spanish Explorers is the third-person biographical narrative called The Collision of Cultures. The narrative gives the reader insight on what the indians and the explorers pre-judgement of one another, based off of what the parties believed with their religion and moral. I dont understand why America can get away with poisoning the population. It does not remove additives from our food supply until they have been proven dangerous which can take a very long time and a lot of red tape. Christopher Columbus thought it was going to be easy if needed to fight with them. MSG is classed as an excitotoxin. According to a study by SFgate,only 10% of American children get an adequate intake of fresh fruits and vegetables, while in France, over 40% of children do. When I used to visit the US with my mum and aunty I seen a good portion of people with either fizzy drinks/sodas, crisps/chips, candies, ice creams, those Starbucks cold coffee in the largest size, junk food from places such as McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, Wendys, etc. Second, is that both revolutions momentum . They have a half day of school on Saturday. Rubbish, The laws in Europe and the UK are much stricter than in the US. Well yes because the ingredients cost more. as well as other partner offers and accept our, Americans seem to have a fascination with. I spent years investigating the differences between European and American food products, and what I found disgusted me. The Truth About PB2 & Powdered Peanut Butter, The Worst Ingredient In Starbucks Unicorn Frappuccino & Why You Shouldnt Drink It. And thats the raw materials before they get processed to make the foodstuffs in this article. During these times of exploration, traveling nations encountered the Natives among the lands where they would then determine their future through alliances and conflicts. I dont know about you, but I wouldnt mind spending most of my day eating like this! My point exactly. Chef Dominique Crenn is inarguably one of the foremost experts on French cuisine. In the United States, beer is the most common alcoholic beverage of choice, and it is rarely consumed as part of a sit-down meal. See all of the UK type options ARE available in the US. 10 Ways the French View Food Differently Than Americans Bon apptit! Photo courtesy of @emilieeats on Instagram. Jesus Chroist, Amen. Cabeza de Vaca also wanted to find resources and goods but mainly wanted to explore the land and try to understand if it was possible to create a society alongside the natives. I cant seem to stop!! It's normal to. Cookies, brownies, cupcakes and candies were extremely uncommon to give to the kids- and it was always homemade without added sugars, no processed oils, no toxic ingredients, and were organic. Capitalists make money by making and selling stuff, not by _not_ making and selling stuff. In this story from NPR, the author explains how many French parents entice their children to try all types of foods, while her own American-raised daughter wouldnt eat anything other than white bread or pasta. Most of those same products had no or very jucious amounts of sweeteners in them fifty years ago. No one wants to put that on their product! Try it for yourself and see if the ways of the French could benefit you. But an average French breakfast is actually a lighter meal of bread and some kind of spread like butter, honey, or jam. It's normal to include wine in most meals in France, but unlike America, it's less about binge drinking and more about a cultural experience. This is how so many French people grow up with a love for fresh fruits and vegetables, and not just pizza and ice cream 24/7. I do notice the word flavoring on some of the European brands, which opens up a whole other can of worms. Want to know what really opened up my eyes to how food companies exploit us? We love food Babe! I actually felt like I was eating more, but looking back, while the volume might have been more, the calories were a lot less. Its a total scam! Despite the fact that they are not, in fact, French, fries are still very popular today in France, where they are called pommes frites. In America, for anyone with a family and a non-infinite budget, that starts with AgriFood. After flying to Europe I can fully attest to this. In "Psychology Today," writer Rosemary K.M. No trains like Europe and uk! They start with a vegetable, such as a leafy lettuce salad, a cucumber tomato salad or beets. One similarity being that both wanted to escape the rule of their king. Similarities Between Haitian And French Revolution | ipl.org You are so fine. Getty Images The prices of eating these processed foods are not worth the pay. A trip to the market in France might include fresh vegetables like mushrooms, leeks, eggplant, and a variety of cheeses like Brie and Roquefort. A revolution is to overthrow a government and replace with another. I would like to not use the word fat but obese would be better. Start Cooking! The French seem to think there are no bad parts of the animal. US-French-food comparison in France, but unlike America, it's less about binge drinking and more about a cultural experience. But just how French are they, anyway? in the world, it makes sense that we often look abroad for tips on how to eat better. While Heinz makes a Simply Heinz version of ketchup in the U.S. (still with natural flavors but a cleaner ingredient list), why dont they just make this their regular ketchup? German/Europe version: Glucose syrup; sugar; gelatin; dextrose; fruit juice from concentrate: apple, strawberry, raspberry, orange, lemon, pineapple; citric acid; fruit and plant concentrates: nettle, apple, spinach, kiwi, orange, elderberry, lemon, mango, passionfruit, blackcurrant, aronia, grape; flavorings; glazing agents: white and yellow beeswax; carnauba wax; elderberry extract; fruit extract from carob; invert sugar syrup. Crackers didnt taste like cookies and tomato soup didnt taste like a dessert. I would also like to see corn syrup, sugar and palm oil removed from all products. They don't go heavy for breakfast. Similar to French fries, potato cuts may come in the form of little wedges, hunks, or even blocks. Even when they tried to help them out by directing them to find gold or help them when they got hurt. By contrast, the French prefer wine, drinking approximately 500 glasses per person every year. Keep it up and well be able to make big improvements in the food we buy. I find it shocking that this is actually happening because before I read this article, I had no idea overseas, the food was healthier and better. So, we can tell the two apart based on how they were prepared. While she was there, I often had her go to Tesco and other European grocery stores to take pictures of the ingredient lists for me and send me boxes of products. Meals there are free of distractions like TV, driving, or working on your laptop. Food does not come in packages or bottles, it grows in your garden and is not doused in round up or glyphosate, what are the real killers and the real issue with all the strange illnesses we have, that did not exist 50 years ago. You might assume that the French have to spend all their time in the gym working off those heavy meals, but you'd be wrong. Meals there are free of distractions like TV, driving, or working on your laptop. The Top 10 Cultural Differences and Similarities between France and the Meanwhile, they continue to sell BVO-free Mountain Dew in other countries. There is no need for the heavily processed version that youll find in most restaurants and homes in America. Similarities Between French and American Revolution Instead it's all about smaller, but still filling, meals of meat, vegetables, cheese, and bread. Meanwhile, a 2016 study in the Journal of Environmental Public Health found links between frequent consumption of foods away from home and both lower fruit and vegetable intake and a higher body mass index. During the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries, the Europeans decided to embark on many journeys that would change their way of life forever. Food and pharma happen to be incredibly corrupt in the US. Herman Cortes however encountered a much more advanced Native American group in Meso America; we formally know this area to be Mexico. French American Same Students go for 6 weeks and then have 2 weeks off and it repeats like that until summer. With each encounter comes a difference in sophistication and how technologically advanced the Native Americans by Hernando Cortes in the Meso-America to those of the Native Americans encountered by Christopher Columbus on the islands of the Caribbean. So, not only is the food in the US inferior, but it costs more. The movies will also be evaluated in how they portray the Native American culture, including clothing, housing, and language. The Spanish killed tens of thousands out of population and the ones who did survive the Spanish ended up chopping off their hands if they did not provide their allotment.3 At the end the Spanish wiped out the islands either by killing the people or they left to surrounding countries. In contrast, French onion soup is actually from France originally. Similarities & Differences: French & American Schools By law they DO have to state what is in ALL foods. Differences And Similarities Between The French And American | Cram But whether or not you know the provenance of a roux or whats in bearnaise sauce, there are plenty of French foods that have snuck into the American repertoire. Id compare them with the same brand of American products side-by-side and saw completely different ingredient lists. When you compare French and American school lunches, it is quite apparent why childhood obesity rates are growing in the US. The first meeting of the Spaniards and the Indians was shown differently in all three of the movies. In the US., people can enjoy these same privileges in only a few places - Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Key West to name a few. That kind of behavior is kept to a minimum in France. Differences And Similarities Between The American And The French Revolution. Flavorings can be a whole host of unnatural chemicals. This is what set me down the path of advocating for change in the food system and Ive never looked back. After studying economics and business, Crenn decamped to San Francisco and a life of cooking in 1988. This also includes the absurd amount of environmentally destructive plastic packaging for US foods. French 101. France and America share a long-lived and unique connection. let me tell yalls what i get in california; When Columbus left the island he left forty of his men and those men raped and fought the Tainos after they helped them out.2 On his second trip Columbus set up a permanent colony and again his men raped, stole gold ornaments and food that provoked war with the Tainos. What Is The Difference Between American Fries And French Fries Many health experts swear that eating your largest meal of the day during lunchtime, as opposed to dinner, helps in a number of health areasincluding weight control, digestion, decreasing levels of stress, and increasing levels of work or school productivity. So the options are here. ReadMore, Debra Ollivier, author, "What French Women Know", Alexandra Leaf, author, "Van Gogh's Table at the Auberge Ravoux", Samir Meghelli, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The more people that are against this type of messed up food industry in the US the better. Still skeptical? Photo courtesy of @crematology on Instagram. Its interesting to note all the differences when comparing the French perception of food to that of Americas. Expect the last repas of the day to be served closer to 8:00 pm (until 9:30 pm in Paris). Biggest Differences Between French and American Diets - Insider excellent fruit & vegetables grown right here. So why dont they pack on the pounds like most of us do? The fact that the companies are also using Americans like lab rats to see if their food is dangerous or not is disgraceful and disappointing. You might assume that the French have to spend all their time in the gym working off those heavy meals, but you'd be wrong. French and American culture might have much in common, but some notable similarities define each country, with one being food. France is considered by many to be the birthplace of gourmet cuisine, which Julia Child introduced to millions of Americans in the 1960s with her seminal cookbooks and spirited TV show. This laid-back way of eating couldn't sound more delightful and gets anyone ready to cook up a pot of beef bourguignon, invite over some friends, and disconnect the wifi. The U.S. version of Mountain Dew contains brominated vegetable oil (BVO) which is an ingredient BANNED in Europe (3). According to "Bringing Up Bebe," French parents generally keep a routine in which kids eat three meals a day, plus one snack in the afternoon. Analyzes the similarities between the american, french, and haitian revolutions. All Rights Reserved. Im very sensitive to it. Traditionally in France, as well as England, Spain, Germany and other countries, it was a way to put stale bread to good use. No wonder people in England are much skinnier and healthier than Americans. is actually a lighter meal of bread and some kind of spread like butter, honey, or jam. I am a born US Citizen and I love this country, but every time I hear someone say this is the greatest country on earth I want to laugh. In Conclusion: My Rule Everyone goes crazy over your looks! SheKnows is a part of Penske Media Corporation. Required fields are marked *. Lets start with McDonalds French Fries. On his trip when he arrived in Hispaniola the Taino people living on the island welcomed and were gentle with him and his men. Food in America compared to the U.K. (Why is it so different?) Join Opinion on Facebook and follow updates on twitter.com/roomfordebate. Thanks for the info, I always wondered why the same food in the UK tasted worse! Have you ever wondered if French fries were really invented in France, or what they call French onion soup in Paris? I request your book from the library which has 2 copys luckily i tenth on the list 2 more the the day I went to the library my friend I recommended to went today it 25 on the list but i think the rich allow this is they do not want to have live longer, Ps I sadly did not buy the book as i disabled vet so very low income as I still fighting the VA plus i lack the space for it as I got over 1000 books in my house and simply no more space for any more space for another book book shelved. Thank you for fighting this fight. Because of the conquistadors quest for gold and other riches. I found the same thing. But they are more expensive? Thats why Americans cant loose weight and Europeans are never as FAT as sooooo many Americans!!!! Due to unexpected discoveries and evidence that say otherwise, many scholars now question and argue about their time in the Americas before Columbus. Could any of this be related to different labeling requirements? I sincerely believe that food producers in the USA are determined to keep us fat and ill so that the pharmaceutical companies can rake in billions from the public. That degree of disclosure actually seems like a good thing. So keep that in mind where you hear someone claiming that wonder of capitalism is that it excels in responding to the democratic clamor of consumers from below! So if you order a meat dish in France, you may not want to ask what it is. For instance, John Locke, an English philosopher introduced the idea of "natural rights". How Did the American Revolution Influence the French Revolution The main ideas of chapter one was the conquest and exploration of the early Americas by the spaniards. If you purchase a product through an affiliate, sponsorship or partnership link, your cost will be the same (or at a discount if a special code is offered) and Food Babe will benefit from the purchase. Similarities and Differences Between French and America School Systems 1,237 Learn about Prezi KM Kate McCahan Tue Nov 15 2011 Outline 25 frames Reader view School year: early September to early June Internation Education Rankings (1995) 23-Overall 13-Math 28-Science Primary School Maternelle (Kindergarden) (3-4) Petite Section (Nursery) Demetrius you are so right. You tryna be tricky? During his expedition, Cortes had made allies with the native people he encountered. Changes are only going to happen here when more people start removing these foods/products from their diet, try to look for better/home made alternatives to those common, unhealthy products, in addition to not supporting these companies/brands, and of course there needs to be significant amount of those in the US to want this change. In the US, it is $2.29. Though most historians agree that the American Revolution influenced the French Revolution, which lasted from 1789-1799, some scholars debate the significance and extent of its impact. Whatever happened to common sense, compassion, and honesty, Ill never know. Photo courtesy of sapphicscience on Tumblr. Nice job Vani!