font-weight: bold; I am a seasoned digital professional, leader and geek at heart. As a leader, it is important to demonstrate the impossible is possible through your own work, encourage your team to pursue challenges with empowerment and create opportunities for your team to innovate with reward. Strum is deeply committed to serving the local community and has sat on numerous boards throughout his career, including Broward College Foundation, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, FloridaTaxWatch, and the Broward Sheriffs Foundation. All Rights Reserved. margin-bottom:0px; margin: auto; In rural healthcare, there is not a lack of inspiration and a reason to care about their work. Administrative Director of Innovation and IT Clinical, Ancillary and Research Systems at Houston Methodist. Thats $45,000 more than his boss, DeSantis, whose pay is set by law. For example, I went to an AI/IoT conference in Austin, Texas, and leaned AI adoption spectrum framework to adopt AI at the organization. International Students! border:1px solid #FFB81F; Providence invested $10 million of its five-year and $50 million commitment to reduce disparities and racial injustice, partnering with more than 1,200 community organizations. Due to reduced benefit, its $ 672.00 a month. Kimberly Cantees, MD, MBA. In the end, we know that it's this kind of innovation and creative thinking that will help us achieve our goal of becoming the healthcare leader of the future. We analyze what other industries and companies are doing and gain inspiration in not only how to look at a problem differently but also at other capabilities or unique experiences we might not have previously considered. 49th St., Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 33309 | We will go down another rabbit hole of illegal activity like several years back. Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer at Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare (Memphis, Tenn.). Family: Welcomed their first child, Kate Delaney Strum, on Oct. 19 How They Met: Through mutual friends on Oct. 20, 2001. With wellness as a priority, we focus on daily workflow processes/assignments that may impact physician wellness, such as call shift assignment, work hour analysis and anesthesiologist concurrency, as this relates to case acuity. In other words, taking the leap with the hopes that a net will appear. First and foremost knowledge. Salah Foundation Children's Hospital at Broward Health, No Surprise Billing & Good Faith Estimate. Any employee can present an idea to the Innovation committee for consideration. Despite this, the forward-thinking Lindbergh saw it fit to request an introduction to the Nobel prize-winning vascular surgeon, Alex Carrel. We found Florence Eiffler from Strum Wisconsin. This means that as our environment and patients' expectations change, we must too. First, members of my team often work hand-in-glove with operations; we have even had a few transition to operations roles to seek out projects they have started. Likewise, the alterations also watered down the boards ability to fire Strum with cause. For example, a contract provision that allowed dismissal for an employees threatened or actual physical violence was modified to add at the workplace. Threats of violence or violence outside the workplace are not grounds for termination. If we don't make changes; we will continue to see the rates of burnout climb, physician and nurse suicides go unanswered, and we will lose our best and brightest to other fields where they are appreciated. These touchstones provide intrinsic motivation for our caregivers to help solve today's biggest challenges and tomorrow's most exciting opportunities. Part of this work is helping our team understand their role in delivering on the strategic priorities of the organization and embracing a shared governance approach to problem solving. Not one mention of Broward Health stripping hard earned retirement benefits from rule of 80 employees this past November 2020. He worked as deputy secretary to the Florida Department of Management Services and as director of business development at Aplifi, Inc. Competitiveness in higher education and healthcare will increasingly depend on achieving technological advantage that makes any institution a better fit for the exponential digital acceleration our world will experience in the next decade. Julie Gauderman, DNAP, APRN, CRNA. By asking, inviting and listening. David Sylvan. Certainly after the challenges of recent years, personal value, being heard and honesty ring loudly in the minds of most. If you want others to follow, you need to give them hope and a reason to believe that everything is possible. The team is valued for the effort that is put into finding viable solutions and are not ridiculed or admonished for failed attempts. Often, they know just what to do to solve the issue. This generates healthy excitement and discussion all around our healthcare system and raises awareness about the exciting innovations coming forward. Leah Miller. It sounds ordinary, but doing the right work every day keeps my team focused, inspired and looking for the most innovative ways to achieve our goals. Through consistency, accountability and delivery of competent and compassionate care, SAFE has become an enduring cultural pillar for Sanford Health. Shane Strum is President/CEO at North Broward Hospital Dist. To keep the spirit of inspiration and innovation going, we always focus on our Mission and Values as our 'true north.' Our team continues to watch trends across the healthcare landscape, knowing there is much that can be done to improve the experience of patients and providers alike. For our team, innovation can touch many facets of perioperative care, from better quality and patient safety to better operational efficiency and cost containment. Contributors & reporters: Phil Ammann, Roseanne Dunkelberger, A.G. Gancarski, Anne Geggis, Kelly Hayes, Ryan Nicol, Jacob Ogles, Gray Rohrer, Jesse Scheckner, Christine Sexton, Andrew Wilson, Wes Wolfe, and Mike Wright. He scoffed at talk that he wants Browards two public tax-supported hospital districts merged into one with him as CEO of a monstrous health care empire at a salary of $1 million a year. } Shane Strum, Gov. SSBCI was established in 2010 and then recently . In challenging times like these, it is not only important to have the 'best' people as part of your team but having the 'best people at their best.' Teresa Colaluca. If keeping a spirit of inspiration and innovation alive on your team is your desire, then give them the opportunity to feel their talents, creativity and own thoughts be integrated, utilized and appreciated. Sometimes this means that we must stay on top of implementing new updates for our technology vendors and partners to come out with this requires operational buy-in to really be fruitful, since turning a feature on in a system is the easiest part. This is innovation with impact, getting needed therapy to cancer patients who don't have time to wait. The Broward Health system includes the statutory teaching hospital Broward Health Medical Center, Broward Health North, Broward Health Imperial Point, Broward Health Coral Springs, Salah Foundation Childrens Hospital, Broward Health Weston, Broward Health Community Health Services, Broward Health Physician Group, Broward Health Urgent Care, Broward Health International, and Broward Health Foundation. Eric Smith. display: inline-block; Gov. DeSantis adds three new trustees to the board governing Broward 954-603-1351, Florida Bulldog Ron DeSantis selected Strum as his chief of staff. Sorry to the retirees but we are suffering everyday here. You need to allow your subject matter experts the ability to share and inspire fellow team members to share thoughts and ideas in a non-judgmental way. Chief Digital Officer at Sanford Health (Sioux Falls, S.D.). Rick Scott, an executive at Keiser University and a commissioner and later senior VP at Memorial Healthcare System in Hollywood, which is where DeSantis found him. Second, foster the team's passion for improving quality of life for our patients, communities and employees through innovation. A native of Broward County, Strums legacy of public service has spanned nearly 30 years. In Tallahassee, Strum is the highest-paid employee of the Executive Office of the Governor, with an annual salary of $180,250. In the first of his high-profile administration hires, Gov.-elect Ron DeSantis on Monday tapped Shane Strum, a Broward County Republican who's worked for two other governors, to serve as his chief . I think as we build upon existing assets and find new ways to differentiate ourselves from many of the competitors in the South Florida marketplace, well continue to move the needle, says Strum. Education + Add. For now, Strum basks in the reflected glow of DeSantis extended honeymoon with Floridians. Top Companies . President at Sanford Health Clinic (Sioux Falls, S.D.). I don't think we are doing enough to keep the spirit of inspiration alive. Gov. The scheme had gone on for more than a decade. My team starts by hiring people who have passion, curiosity and courage. Sometimes significant contributions are the end point in performance for team members when they work hard and feel unseen. We strive to inspire by focusing on our mission to provide the highest quality of care to our patients while supporting our greatest asset, our providers. Address: 204 37th Avenue North #182 That is a hefty raise at the expense of the tax payers. Shane Strum Broward Health Imperial Point. Director of System Pharmacy Informatics at Houston Methodist Hospital System. Earlier this spring, the North Broward Hospital District Board of Commissioners named Shane Strum as the new President and CEO of Broward Health, one of the 10 largest public health systems in the U.S. South Florida Hospital News and Healthcare Reports number one goal is top quality healthcare journalism written and edited for the regions most successful, powerful healthcare business executives and professionals. font-weight: bold; He is a former Broward Republican Party chairman. With rumors of Strum's departure swirling, insiders float potential The job also involves treating people right, including long time employees and new ones. Florida Atlantic University and Broward Health on Monday announced a partnership agreement that will provide academic medicine to Broward County, and opportunities to collaborate in the areas of education, clinical training and practice, health services administration and research.. He was the Chairman of the Broward GOP and saw something in me when I first entered public service, nearly twenty years ago, LaMarca said. Reputation Score: 2.11 - 3.76. For example, material diminution of the budget. My teams can see the impact that they can have on our patients and care delivery teams firsthand and real time. Our budget changes year to year and its sometimes outside our control., Another example Epstein cited was new termination language in the contract that could make firing Strum with cause more difficult and in my opinion, my legal opinion, could lead to litigation if that were the case.. Box 23763 Karen Murphy. Broward Health hospital system celebrates 85th anniversary | Miami Herald What an insult to the employees. And take the 2 percent raIse with the undertone that if you dont like it there are other places to work. Innovation is the engine that drives superior healthcare -- something we know well at University Hospitals. Whether he was working in healthcare, higher education or government, Strum has always enjoyed serving the community. Ron DeSantis (R) selected Strum as his chief of staff. }, Shane Strum is a Republican political advisor in the state of Florida. 954.355.4400. What I try to instill in my teams and leadership is that we have to be fair to our patients and organization at all times. He also oversaw Memorials strategic planning, marketing, community relations and global health functions. All Rights Reserved. Stratos lawyer, Chris Kleppin, plans to take Strums deposition, so things could get messier. As Strum plows through a steady stream of 15-hour days, he has a troublesome issue to deal with back in Broward. At Houston Methodist, we're searching for innovative ways to connect with everyone within the organization when it comes to our diversity, equity and inclusion efforts beyond training and recognizing cultural holidays. Ron DeSantis, the relentlessly upbeat Shane Strum rides herd over 28 state agencies, hashes out policy and politics with lawmakers and shapes the governor's message and image which faces its toughest test with the states wobbly response to the novel coronavirus disease. STOP WHINING: you are uninformed. Pick the right people and let them drive success. I am comfortable with (and encourage) calculated risks, and the attendant failures, as long as we learn from them. And this option requires me to establish an environment of safety to promote innovation my folks' successes are theirs and any failures are mine. Gaslighting has become the new normal at Broward Health. I teach and encourage my team to simplify complex problems and to keep a laser focus on what matters most to our patients and to our caregivers. January 24, 2023 - Florida Atlantic University and Broward Health on Monday announced a partnership agreement that will provide academic medicine to Broward County, and opportunities to collaborate in the areas of education, clinical training and practice, health services administration and research. With the district finally operating on level ground thanks to the operating skills of Mr. Santorio, the Board needed to hire a CEO with the strategic vision to take Browrad in the right direction for the next generation.. Mr Strum has many years of successful leadership and should prove the Board made a wise decision. Finally, celebrate the small wins. Neisha Mitchell, Ed.D. - Adjunct Professor - LinkedIn Gov. Steve Bousquet is a Sun Sentinel columnist. Reputation Score: 2.30 - 4.17. Hoda Asmar. We can't talk about the future of nursing and healthcare without acknowledging where we are right now. Before he joined Memorials executive team, Strum served on the South Broward Hospital District Board for several years, including two terms as chairman. Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world. INSPIRA derives from inspiration. We are taking it in the throat one more time. Shane Strum, 40 [Photo: Ray Stanyard] . Circling back to the overall goal or vision, as a leader you never let this go, but rather continue to guide and steer the individual work in a manner that is inclusive of the energy of all of your team members. As I understand it, the rule of 80 retirees get $2,850 and $2,150 annually for their spouse of TAX-PAYER money to purchase healthcare when there are Medicare Advantage Plans that are basically free to them! You also need to be aware of workloads and burnout. In addition, innovation is one of our pillars. When someone is charged with a specific role that is matched to their interest, strengths and passion, their performance and intrinsic motivation far outperform any deliverable from a team that is given the large goal and no ownership. Question: What's your secret for keeping a spirit of inspiration and innovation alive on your team?. Phone: (727) 642-3162 If not, all the great plans for expansion and delivering more services will fall flat.. It's a win-win! On June 29, 2020, in News Releases, by Staff. Charlie Crist and was an adviser to Rick Scotts gubernatorial transition team in 2010. Shane Strum: While Broward Health is no longer facing a COVID-19 surge, we continue to manage issues related to labor shortages and inflated labor expenses. padding-left: 10px; The governor wants to talk to everybody, Strum said. Chief of Staff to the Governor of Florida, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Shane_Strum&oldid=8265315, Pages using DynamicPageList dplreplace parser function, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections. - Employees are seen as people, not machines or tools. At Sanford Health, our employees come to work each day knowing that everyone is accountable for safety and that their voice matters. Rewarding that curiosity and ensuring that staff at all levels are empowered to develop creative solutions, take risks and learn from failure is key. background-color: red; From his start as a member of Browards Young Republicans, he became chairman of the county GOP and later, a chief of staff to former Gov. In addition he has the political skills and business acumen required to lead a business as complex as Broward Health. They are going to give this man a thirty percent raise on$ 900,000+. High reliability and all the benefits it provides in redundancy and resiliency as well as the impact of developing a collaborative just culture is truly inspiring. When the goal is too large people on the team can struggle with not feeling like they have a significant role or are underutilized. Vice President of Digital Services at Intermountain Healthcare (Salt Lake City). This platform and all of its content are owned by Extensive Enterprises Media. In my experience, no single thing is both necessary and sufficient to keep inspiration alive and innovation flowing. Executive Vice President and Chief People Officer at Providence (Renton, Wash.). } I want my team members to take on challenges. PDF Press Release - FAME: FLORIDA ASSOCIATION FOR MEDIA IN EDUCATION It's also about connecting with people on a personal as well as professional level. The secret to keeping a spirit of inspiration and innovation is reward.