Consultants studied and copied KVIL, launching dozens of lite-rock imitations across the country. I have the same type of personality, just not as much discipline. It was a woman who had a pink sweater wrapped around her neck. The Radio Hall of Famer died at the age of 85 by leading an exemplary life being the pioneer of radio hosting in the country. Chapman had a . Ron was one of those guys who made this a better place to live.. The Emperor is in his tower . His wife says the best way to get him frantic is to put him in a car without a phone. Dallas radio legend Ron Chapman dies at 85 Ron Chapman's radio career began in 1953the day he graduated from high schoolwhen he became a disc jockey at station WHAV/Haverhill, MA. He is best known as the morning drive anchor of radio station KVIL, on the 103.7 frequency. His family is asking for time right now to process the loss and thanks the community for . Theyre over. Id just started with Chapman, and I did that two or three times before he slammed down the headphones and blew up. Selden, now an aide at a substance abuse clinic in Tyler, believes that Chapman has accomplished what it took him much longer to do: harness a runaway ego and put it to good use. Steve Eberhart was a deejay at KVIL. On the stairwell is a wall full of pictures: Ron in the midst of a million one-dollar bills. Thats reflective of some pretty strong public service. Chapman says. This system is awful. A lot of people couldnt handle it, Dean said of Chapmans style. We dont do that here. But Im serious when I tell you that I learned a great deal from it. Ron Chapman American radio broadcaster (KVIL) dead at age 85 I used to do the 11 to 2 a.m. shift, during college. Dallas radio legend Ron Chapman passes away at 85 Forty-five years in one market. And yet, he would never ask me to be one of the [featured] dancers. Last time I dialed in for any length was the first day of September2000, whenRon Chapman signed off after a 31-year stint as The Voice of KVIL and, by extension,Dallas radio. Radio Hall of Famer Ron Chapman Dies at 85 - People Newspapers So settle down with one of these throws. Dean later called it a dream come true. From 1965 to 1968, Chapman hosted a television dance show for teens called "Sump'N Else." In 1969, he moved to KVIL, where he spent 32 years. (A whole lot better, wife Nance is quick to observe, than the other way around.) Outside the floor-to-ceiling windows, a man-made creek meanders past a resistance pool and a hot tub on its way to the pump. Talk about a cush gig. 26, 2021 at 1:34 PM PDT. Who is available? So Chapman is now going to teach Brad and me how we should broadcast a football game to appeal to his target audience women. And the guy was the typical model. He also hosted a televised series from Northpark Center in the 1960's for a three-year stint. This is a secret, but we take a lot of the staff to the big derrick at Six Flags and put them on top. Woods was Charlie Brown. And it suddenly became a craze. His talent rose above us all. Born plain old Ralph Chapman in Haverhill, Massachusetts, Ron began performing at the ripe age of three. It was Chapman who gave KVIL its sound in 1969: music foryoung adults who'd grown up listening to him on KLIF. He is very perfectionist about his personal things. RALPH CHAPMAN OBITUARY. According to Littauer, Chapmans massive energy manifested itself during his youth in a series of class-clown pranks. He was born in Pittsburg, in East Texas and was raised in East Dallas -- in the area that is now District 5 -- where he graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School. But suppose, suddenly, a rogue meteorite comes falling out of the sky and mashes him into a puddle at the corner of Mockingbird and Central? Ron was a longtime morning host at our sister station KVIL 103.7, where he worked with KRLD's Mitch Carr. The organization said no service will be held for Chapman, but a public gathering of friends and colleagues is planned. But stories of Chapmans sentimentality and generosity are almost as abundant as the tales of his colossal ego. Then by the following Tuesday, youre just gone. Chapman's booming voice is now a shadow of its former self, the result of a stroke suffered just before Christmas in 2012. Ronald Chapman Obituary (2021) - Jordan, NY - Syracuse Post Standard His family is asking for time right now to process the loss and thanks the community for their "kindness, understanding and prayers.". One time, I finally asked him, You seem to like my dancing, but why dont you ever ask me to be one of the dancers? And he said, Well, to be honest, youre too sexy for our show. ", At that age, Fairchild said with a laugh, I didnt really know what he was talking about.. She loved going to NorthPark to dance with other teenagers during the daily weekday broadcast of SumpN Else. Ronald Chapman July 23, 2021 Ronald Monroe Chapman, 77, of Jordan, died peacefully in his sleep at 2:32 am on July 23, 2021 while at home surrounded by his loving family. Remembering Ron Chapman. Ron Chapman Obituary KVIL - - InsideEko.com News Media | Facebook "And when he left, that was it.". Hey, says Chapman, most people like living here. This duality is a big part of Ron Chapmans magic. Ronald Edward Chapman. Hes like the man who juggles chain saws while singing Verdi. And I do have a good memory. In 2000, as radio began to change once again, Chapman moved to KLUV, a Dallas oldies station where he stayed until announcing his retirement in 2005. First it was six to nine. On the mike, butter wouldnt melt in his mouth. "Dusty Attics", Episode 23: Ron Chapman - Jody Dean And that means dont do anything to KVIL. "Three time radio Hall of Famer and Dallas radio ICON Ron Chapman has passed," the organization said. In the service, Chapman was the Fifties equivalent of Robin Williams, doing a sort of Good Morning, Korea. On the troop ship the first night out, his sister recalls, it came time for the sergeant to hand out assignments. Ron, how come my offer to buy KVIL never worked out? Im sitting there, and Im cracking up. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Dallas, Texas 75201. Ron would fairly often show up while I was on the air to go in a studio and record a promo that might run overnight, only to plug something that was going to be on his show. (To Everything There Is a Season) by the Byrds. Chapman had already carved out a legend as one-half of Charlie & Harrigan on KLIF. Who could follow Ron Chapman? Ron Chapman Radio Hall Of Fame He died Monday at age 85. I can make her feel good about the day, or I can make her feel crappy about the day, and of course, the choice is to make her feel good. And this was totally not intended. Read our daily updates at 12:30, 2:30 and 4:30 p.m., and our complete obituaries in The Herald-Dispatch on Wednesday and Michael Granberry was born and grew up in Dallas. You people dont listen to me, and you are going to lose $100,000 on this auction! When she replied that the auction had never made anywhere near that much, he snapped, Thats why!. A secretary, yeah, sure, absolutely, but she wont be for long. KVIL wasso named for its original HQ in the Highland Park Village, after Charles Meeks acquired a broadcast license from the feds to open up shop in 1958. That's a very sad commentary on the times. In honor of his life, we reproduce this 1989 profile of Chapman. But telling Brad after 20-plus years how to broadcastDont be talking about blitzes and the nickel defense. And Chapman was being pretty emphatic about it. Like a handful of other stations in town, at least until they all change formats again. But it was impossible to replicate a station that made a growing big city feel like a small town. Youd be walking down the hall, and nothing would stop him from putting you down in a very loud voice in front of anybody. TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - Longtime radio personality Ron Chapman has died at the age of 85. "It was what it was when it was. He also had a stint on television with the local ABC affiliate, WFAA-TV, where he was featured in the mid-60s on the "Sump'N Else" show. KVIL TIDBITS: Ron Chapman's radio show was simulcast live with video on KXAS-TV as a 30-minute daily program (mid-1970s.). RON CHAPMAN ANDERSON - Ronald Ray Chapman, 67, of Anderson, died Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at Rainey Hospice House. So we hit the air, and Ron got it. "Dallas radio legend Ron Chapman dies at 85. And I think he said, This would be a good time to go to commercial.. Chapman is not just guessing at what his audience wants to hear He is downright methodical about it. Meet Jody Dean: A man for this season: Lost job leads to a better life In 1969, he teamed up with local radio men Hugh Lampman and Jack Shell at the newly born KVIL. Next to it is a portable telephone, complementing cellular phones in his and Nances cars. The Texas Radio Hall of Fame says "his family asks for time to process this loss, and thanks you for your kindness, understanding and prayers. By signing up you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, Stand with us in our mission to discover and uncover the story of North Texas, We can't say goodbye to KVIL until its legendary voice Ron Chapman gives it a proper sign-off, CBS Radio has rebranded 103.7 on Your FM Dial as the Amp, Charles Meeks acquired a broadcast license from the feds to open up shop in 1958, Woman arrested in killing of 3 children at Italy, Texas, home in Ellis County, Frisco Liberty battles back vs. Lubbock Cooper to claim UIL Class 5A state championship, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones defers comment on revival of sexual harassment lawsuit, What we know after 3 children killed, 2 wounded at Ellis County home, The Cowboys are closer than you think to a total makeover at running back, American Airlines, flight attendants file for mediation during contract negotiations, New Uptown office tower lands second major lease, Years after North Texas bid for Amazons second headquarters, retail giant halts plan, Mesquite to become the site of new 2,500-home community, North Texas builders see influx of activity in new year, but challenges persist, Mark Wahlberg pours tequila for fans at Dallas restaurant during thunderstorm, Dude Perfects trick-shot town could find a home in North Texas, or somewhere else, Slow start for Luka Doncic? Dallas Radio Legend Ron Chapman Recovering From A Stroke - Blogger Chapman joined the staff of KVIL-FM/Dallas-Fort Worth as morning . How would he like to be remembered? No spam, ever. He was always very, very kind. People just trusted him, Dean said Monday. Remembering Ron Chapman Vocal Majority - Pure Harmony Chapman knows how to be reassuring to women who are fighting an uphill battle day after day. WATCH: Steve Eberhart reminisces about late radio legend Ron Chapman - KLTV In 2000, Chapman moved to KLUV/Dallas, an "oldies" station where he stayed until announcing his retirement from radio in 2005. Because shes gonna move up. While many have attempted to imitate his formula, nobodyat least locallyis likely to remotely approach his mastery of it. There is no excuse for making a mistake. Knowing Ron over the years has been an adventure. The slightly bugged eyes turn flat, focused inward. From 1965 to 1968, he became Dallas rarefied answer to Dick Clark and American Bandstand, as host of the wildly popular Sumpn Else, a teen dance show carried live from NorthPark Center on WFAA-TV (Channel 8). There was some serious speculation for a while in Haverhill about the Ghost Tuba Player. 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. Ron Chapman on the State of Radio and Why He'll Never Make a Comeback And she looks so good by the time she gets to the office, she had to be up by 5:30. Chapman invited him to come watch the show at some point. Hes now a program director for ABC Dallas radio and an adjunct professor of TV production at the University of North Texas.We did Sumpn Else at NorthPark. Weve become Coke. After I left, there were several attempts to be 'the new KVIL,' but KVIL left such an impressive mark on Dallas that they were neverable to shake this old image of its old people there, me being among them.". His family asks for time to process this loss, and thanks you for your kindness, understanding and prayers., There will not be a service, but, the Hall of Fame noted, a public gathering of friends and colleagues is being planned.. The other bold stroke by the founders of KVIL was its attitude toward Dallass sister city, Fort Worth. But they werent really buying the station. He was so popular in Dallas in the 70s, 80s and 90s that his station, KVIL, sold for more than the Dallas Cowboys. The station is branded as "Alt 103.7" and airs an alternative rock radio format. Both of which I left, unconsumed, somewhere in Rons car. Obituaries Search for Ron Chapman - Dignity Memorial In 1989, KVIL reigned supreme for three consecutive quarters, reaching 10.5 ratings points in the July Arbitrons, 3.1 points ahead of runner-up KSCS. The following obituaries have been provided by local funeral homes. Everyone I knew went to college. He did not. Ive had two scoops of everything, Chapman likes to say. He was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 2012. Says Chapman, Electronically, we dont do much, but we are very conscious of highs. We play some stuff that cooks pretty good, but there are a lot of songs we wont play at all. This time, the gala planners were prepared; the system had been checked and rechecked by technicians. One former employee, who asked not to be named, speaks for many when she says, Hes the most unfeeling, cold-hearted son of a bitch I ever met., And this woman counts herself among his admirers because of his genius at making KVIL a raging success. Thats what we started doing. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones defers comment on revival of sexual harassment lawsuit, Q and A: How MLBs streaming, TV options will impact Rangers fans ability to watch team. Suzie was initially an airborne reporter, but was later given her trademark "KVIL-o-Van" (bearing the vanity plate, "SOOZIE.") Her efforts were honored in 2004 as an inductee to the Texas Radio Hall of Fame. Warmth, a man who seems to genuinely feel that his biggest contribution to the world is sending his listeners off to work happy and chipper, so that each in her own little way can help make a kinder, gentler Dallas. Homepage; Contact US; About US; Ron Chapman Net Worth, Age, Height, Weight. Nance likens her life with Ron to living with P.T. Chapmans on-air name was Irving Harrigan. Of course, back in those days, I was also given to partaking in the pleasures of cannabis and had a couple of joints with me for the ride. But if anyone were to remember me, I would hope it would be as someone who took radio disc jockeying and maybe gave it a little respect. The program, based on . For two weeks, while everyone else painted and scraped, he sat in a deck chair and interviewed people to see what their talent was., After Chapman had been in Korea for about a month, he got a parchment scroll commending him for lifting the morale of the troops. 12:02 PM on Apr 26, 2021 CDT Updated at 4:57 PM on Apr 26, 2021 CDT. The station is branded as "Alt 103.7" and airs an alternative rock radio format. Im talking to a thirty-year-old female. We could go AOR. But off-mike, in what employees call his little Come to Jesus talks, that mouth can get hot enough to melt pig iron. The station would cycle through many owners, all of whom readily admittedthey were really buying Chapman-- "a warm and fuzzy tyrant," D called him in 1989, which he took as compliment. During his 31 years at KVIL, Chapman became famous for his upbeat humor and his participation in outrageous stunts and giveaways. We put them on constantly.. So when we cut away to commercial, we would turn off the lights so the studio would get cool. Nance (pronounced Nancy), Chapmans wife of three years, is the centerpiece of the home tour. Chapman liked to say he was a poor kid who grew up behind a grocery store, which his father owned in his native Haverhill, Mass. I cannot say I will miss KVIL, mostly because I haven't listened to it in years -- couldn't tell you its format since, oh, 1985? During his 31 years at KVIL, Chapman became famous for his upbeat humor and his participation in outrageous stunts and giveaways. Not only is he 110 percent fireproof and the goose that laid the golden egg, but he is shadow management, and he must be catered to and appeased. His hard-scrabble experience inspired him to say, Ill show them. And his broadcasting career accomplished exactly that he showed them. Ralph Chapman Obituary (1936 - 2021) - Dallas, TX - Dallas Morning News CBS Radio has rebranded 103.7 on Your FM Dial as the Amp, a moniker also bestowed upon energy drinksand vitamins that promise "alean, ripped physique." In the meantime, you play every night like it was opening night, kick ass, and prove me wrong. Garrett remembers Chapmans blowing up at him for reading the same filler story at several news slots. He is best known as the morning drive anchor of radio station KVIL, on the 103.7 frequency. He was just a wonderful, wonderful guy., And yet, on a professional level, Chapmans reputation carried with it a darker side. And its not just the lower-downs, but the higher-ups who have their hands full of Chapman ego. He doesnt want to look for cuff links., And as for keeping up with the competition, well, Chapman has a television parked in front of his toilet. After 45 years in radio, Ron Chapman retired from his morning show on June 24, 2005. Catch up on the day's news you need to know. He then did afternoon drive at KVIL-FM for several years until he was fired by Ron Chapman. @theoldgreywolf once told me, "Chapman was the pioneer, the seer." "I was always on the quest of doing something new and dramatic and different and surprising," Ron said in 2010. . Chapman, who was inducted to the Radio Hall of Fame three times, started his career in 1953the day he graduated from high school, according to his bio on the organization's website. He said, Thats the second time youve used that item and its the last! Incidentally, the quarterback is the guy behind the center. Before SumpN Else finished its run, Fairchild had already scored her first movie credit, appearing as Faye Dunaways double in the Oscar-winning film, Bonnie and Clyde. He was No. Dallas-Fort Worth radio legend Ron Chapman has died, officials with his former station KLUV-FM confirmed. Thanks a lot, everybody! They were pissed off, and they loved it. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The obituary was featured in Dallas Morning News on May 16, 2021. And Id walk a mile for an impression., Part of the magic of KVIL is that it is positive and upbeat, even when its poking fun at the news, the politicians, or the Cowboys. Barnum. It almost looked like a squirrel. My wife made me admit it publicly: yeah. Ron Chapman and Mitch Carr Photo credit Courtesy Mitch Carr. Chapman joined KVIL in 1969 where he would remain a fixture for 32 years. Ron Chapman Obituary KVIL - Death : DFW Radio Legend Died: Funeral - KVIL and DFW Radio legend, Ron Chapman died aged 85, on April, 26th, 2021, with. Robert Wilonsky, Special Contributor. With that warning, we move through room after room of airy, fresh pastels, past furniture that looks as if it never gets touched, with the exception of Rons well-worn leather chair. However, Ron Chapman's cause of death remains yet to be known but it is suspected that he died of natural causes. April 26, 2021 - TOP INFO GUIDE Turn! Chapman says he and Nancy were in excellent health at that point but age was a factor for him wanting to retire. Ron Chapman's radio career began in 1953the day he graduated from high schoolwhen he became a disc jockey at station WHAV/Haverhill, MA. Chapman rounded out the 1960s by joining the staff of KVIL-FM in 1969, when AM radio was yielding the spotlight to the purer sound of FM stations. It was the only way we could get a feel for the publics impressions on what we were doing. Imagine working in a situation for five or six years where your first question every day had to be, What kind of moods he in today?, Tony Garrett got a dose of it too, though he took it philosophically. Its mascot was an incontinent kinkajou. "It's a shame it's gone, but KVIL had a great history," he said. Our ears are in mourning. 750 North St.Paul St. Theyre gone. what happened to archie in monarch of the glen; funeral poem our father kept a garden. Hell suddenly realize he needs to talk to everybody he knows.. Chapman and his morning cohortsSuzy Humphries, Jody Dean, Michael Rey, et al.are saying, in effect. Ron was a legend already in the 60s in Dallas, Fairchild said Monday from her home in Los Angeles. Chapman was a giant in radio in Texas, and was inducted as a member of the Radio Hall of Fame in 2012. The winning name was Chief Rain in the Pants.. An announcement in this newspaper heralded his arrival, along with the promise that KVIL would play music that was "always in good taste, but contemporary in all ways" -- a rather unwieldy slogan. Chapman maintains that the station turns down huge amounts of revenue from advertisers who are dying to get at his listeners: Massengill, Preparation H, etc. Legendary Dallas DJ Ron Chapman dies at 85 - Fort Worth Star-Telegram Ron.. He became widely known, according to his bio page on the Radio Hall of Fame website, for his humor, outrageous stunts and giveaways. And for his astronomically high ratings. Especially this woman right here., And Brad says, Well, how about if we start the play and say, The quarterback comes up to the line of scrimmage.