Member Profiles - NetGalley Client Knowledge Base I hope to get more approval s from net galley. If you do have a website even if its just to host the main pieces of your portfolio add a link to that too. NetGalley proudly works with publishers and authors, large and small, throughout the world. As you go, make any necessary updates. Very true! Make sure to include the department you work in, the events or programs you plan, any purchasing youre in charge of, the outlets youve written for, and more. I currently have XXXfollowers. Just wish I was still there sunning myself haha. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. NetGalley reports are an incredibly useful tool for a publisher using the site. You can find them by navigating to a title's Feedback page or by clicking the purple gear icon on the right-hand side of the Manage Titles page. From there youll be able to write a review, leave a brief opinion, or (in rare instances) note why you didnt finish the book. I find that the percentage of publishers accepting my requests are not very high, so I hope by improving my profile and making it look more professional Ill have better chances of getting more ARCs in the future , Good luck, I hope editing your profile bio helps get you a few more accepts on book requests!! Make sure youre opted into receiving those emails in the Account Security section of your Profile, under Subscriptions.. Mine shows 351 but technically only 136 are from WordPress. When a publisher looks at your Profile, they can see the list of Categories that youve chosen, which means you dont need to worry about listing them in your Bio. Are you an OwnVoices reviewer? Your reviews and feedback are essential to publishers, authors, and other readers! I am frequently approved for ARCs and I think this is most likely due to my role as a librarian and person in charge of ordering books for my facility. Glad youre visiting! NetGalley provides a quick snapshot of a member's behavior on NetGalley with stats like: - Feedback Ratio calculates the percentage of feedback based on approved access to books and audiobooks (this includes Read Now, Listen Now, Widget Invites, and Wishes Granted). Writing And Scheduling Posts, What Tools Can Help Me Be An Organized Blogger? Find Titles; Narrowing it down shows publishers youre serious, and improves your own experience as well; this way, youll only read genres you actually like! however, social media followers dont take up that much space! If you apply for romance books, your preferred categories needs to have romance in it. I use NetGalley and have gotten 85 books (not all romance) but I think I've been rejected for every direct request I've made. When she's not working, Kelly can be found color coordinating her bookshelves, eating Chipotle, and watching way too many baking shows. Despite the vastness of the NetGalley community, these other sites are much better-known mainstream hubs. There are six member types on NetGalley (reviewer, book trade professional, librarian, bookseller, educator, journalist or member of the media) and publishers have different goals for working with each one. Sunday Summary | 28th 4th June BookBum, How to write book request emails to publishers BookBum, The Mystery Blogger Award, take 6 BookBum, My Experience with NetGalley as a Newbie | Mint Loves Books, How To Order Books By Email JanetWhardy.com. I love middle grade, womens, scifi and some literary too. When a valid ALA, ALIA, ABA or BA member number is added to a NetGalley account, you will see the relevant logo next to their name when they request a title or when you view their Profile. Are there any example profiles available to look at for best practices examples? https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/readnow Sometimes there are just samplers or previews of the first 4 chapters or so, which make for very fast reads. I have yet to get approved when it comes to big popular books but it's alright. And you have to handle all of these book requests, that, honesly, probably just drain the life out of you, cause honestly, there are just so many bloggers, you sometimes just feel the publishing industry is sitting on a huge anthill. Publishers make digital review copies and audiobooks available for the NetGalley community to discover, request, read, and review. Note, those will come to your email from the publisher directly, they've been caught in my email's overactive spam filter a few times :(. Booksellers can add their ABA member ID number to their NetGalley profile. Your Bio is the perfect place to share this information with publishersas long as youre comfortable, of course! How to Write a Netgalley Profile - First Second Books Favorite Authors By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Its true that NetGalley is one of very few publicly accessible routes to those precious ARCs (i.e. I currently have XXXfollowers. We love to read ourselves! With a my new profile pic and bio, I used this to help, thanks SOO Much! Everything you could possibly want to know about using NetGalley, youll find right here in this post. We feel that everyone should love to read, and that that would make the world a better place. General Member Resources | the American Booksellers Association This post describes my position exactly although about a year later xD Thanks for asking the question, and I'd love to be one of your -- probably many now -- goodreads friends. As for the profile text itself, you can keep it the same as NetGalley! One of the top complaints from NetGalley authors is that giving away tons of free copies often only results in NetGalley feedback which may be useful to authors on a personal level, but not so much on a promotional level. There are six member types on NetGalley (reviewer, book trade professional, librarian, bookseller, educator, journalist or member of the media) and publishers have different goals for working with each one. As for Edelweiss while it does not have a ratio as such, its still not good overloading yourself with books, as youll struggle and might even have to join myState of the ARC meme or #ARCsAnonymous group to keep up with your stack. https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/43524129-bree, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50706457-love-is-a-rogue, https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/readnow, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43438815-all-scot-and-bothered, https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/124102284-megan. Publishers can see which genres you prefer to read and review, and by also sharing your favorite authors, you can help provide an even better understanding of the types of books within those genres you most enjoy. If youre not comfortable sharing your own photo, use the official brand logo from your bookstore, library, or school. Below, I've curated some of the best real professional bio examples I've ever seen on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and the various websites. Yes! Amazon: Once published, I will post my reviews to Amazon. Dont: List all of your favorite genres First Second Welcomes Editorial Assistant Kiara Valdez. Your Bio is the perfect place to share this information with publishersas long as youre comfortable, of course! Instead, carefully choose 3-4 categories that you really enjoy, maybe 5 if youre truly passionate about all of them. If youre a reviewer, clearly state where your reviews appear. ), which is similar to Netgalley. Our site uses cookies. Ive had an account but had NO idea how to set it upepic fail. Add your school's website. Once you start picking up books, you have to provide feedback for most of the titles you read. Your Bio is the perfect place to share this information with publishersas long as youre comfortable, of course! Im so glad this blog came in handy! If youve ever wondered how to snag an ARC of a much-anticipated book, or enviously browsed Goodreads reviews of as-yet-unreleased titles, then you may already be familiar with NetGalley. This was very helpful. I bet you could add several from those! Lets start at the bottom and make it fun! Include information about how you use books (and audiobooks) from NetGalley in your classroom. A little bit of everything! As you go, make any necessary updates. There is also Edelweiss (I think that's the spelling? Marking that you listen to audiobooks or are a member of a book club helps ensure you get relevant promotional emailsincluding announcements of newly uploaded NetGalley books, limited time Read Now opportunities, and more. I Review everything I rate 4 or 5 stars. NetGalley is fairly simple to navigate, and you shouldnt have any problems. You can also do a few read now books to get your stats up. Typos and links that arent working can be a sign of a lack of attention to detail, so be sure to give your Bio a final proofread every time you update it. I have been trying to make my profile stronger. section of your profile, youll find the email address associated with your account. Just add any social media/sites where you discuss books (even if it's just Goodreads!) All Rights Reserved, 2010-2019 NetGalley LLC. Some publishers dont provide a lot of information either, so its been mostly guessing what they are looking for in general until my bio looked somewhat decent. Netgalley is a book marketing platform through which authors and publishers pay to share proof copies of their latest books, prior to publication. NetGalley helps publishers and authors promote digital review copies to book advocates and industry professionals. Just like you. Here are a few Dos and Don'ts for your NetGalley profile, and 10 Things You Should Include in Your NetGalley Profile -- brought to you by We Are Bookish, NetGalley's editorial blog for members. Netgalley makes a big deal about the fact that having a good bio will make publishers more likely to accept your requests, however, they don't really give you a lot of support in terms of what publishers would like to see there, so you're left to your own devices to make something up. Just what I was looking for! Click here to browse our publisher list. Did you know that there are over 130 Stephen King short stories in existence? Your coffee is rapidly cooling, you have a conference call scheduled in about 15 minutes, and youve got to look at all of these goddamn requests. Now, I have heard that a lot of people do not get approved on Edelweiss! NetGalley community | Digital Review | Books Forward Category Preferences Even book-related information like the age you were when you first learned how to read, whether or not you read to your children, how big your book collection is, etc. You have the option to make this email address hidden or visible to publishers. As with your preferred categories, it might seem like you should hedge your bets by going big, but its actually better to be selective yes, even as a new reviewer. Ive explained roughly what you need to write in the why part (mostly, it needs to be about why its good for the publisher to give you the book rather than why you want it!) I am starting to post my book reviews on Netgalley, but Im noticing that they arent separating into paragraphs and are just combining all togetherwhich looks ugly. Your Profile includes a section titled Where I Share Reviews. This is a crucial place to provide links to any websites or social media where you share your book reviews, the media outlets where you cover books, or the bookstore, library, or school where youre employed. for more insight into what you should include in your Profile based on your member type. If you have a blog or other form of bookish social media, talk about the type of content that you create. This is what Ive mentioned before!) Well I hope this helps you out if you decide to update it! There are six member types on NetGalley (reviewer, book trade professional, librarian, bookseller, educator, journalist or member of the media) and publishers have different goals for working with each one. Read thread below. Well, it all depends on what you want, as well as what you can realistically expect. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for book recs, interviews, and favorites from our editor. Ive set this section of my Netgalley bio up by separating all the different sites I use to review. I don't give an ARC to people who write one-line reviews. Book recommendations come in many forms, and its helpful for publishers to see if the books they approve you for may also end up in a listicle, Booktube video, Bookstagram picture, or more! Do you run a book club? Its also just a guaranteed way to suck all the fun out of NetGalley! Congratulations to :01s New Associate Art Director, Andrew Arnold! Finding Your Beauty Queen Dumplin by Julie Murphy, 5 Feel Good Books For When You Have The Lonelies, but you still want to see how many followers the blog has. You can find a specific publishers Approval Preferences on their Publisher page, and the information there can help to shape what you share in your Profile. 10 Things You Should Include in Your NetGalley Profile Email Typos and links that arent working can be a sign of a lack of attention to detail, so be sure to give your Bio a final proofread every time you update it. Get started by signing in or joining for free. Individual writing samples on different sites can be linked here as well. How Do I Make A Good Edelweiss Or NetGalley Profile? Librarians and booksellers order and recommend books to their patrons, media professionals interview authors, reviewers and bloggers write about books online and leave reviews on retail sites, and more. But how does NetGalley work exactly, and is it worth signing up as a reader and reviewer? If I DNFed, I say why. Look through which Categories youve selected, check that your links are working, and reread your Bio. This was super helpful thank you so much for posting this!! Review Macmillan. Nicole @ FYFA To The Rescue! This will help publishers to notice you when they are reviewing your requests, and to make sure you are a legitimate reviewer. When a publisher looks at your Profile, they can already see all of the Categories that youve selected (under the. We help book advocates and industry professionals discover and recommend books to their audiences. document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', (event) => { Now you can request books. Reading Preferences: Your Topics - share how you interact with books. Your Bio can help to give publishers insight into your role and how you can best work with them. NetGalley - Wikipedia "I love to read." First Second uses Netgalley they're a galley service that lets people request advance digital [] (Have you noticed theres a message at the bottom, saying that you should rather leave links in the links section than in the text? Dont you?). When you request books on NetGalley, publishers will see the ABA logo near your name, allowing them to easily identify you as a confirmed ABA member. Now, we're taking a look at how to review our new favorite format: audiobooks! Whats the thing you want to see? Look through which Categories youve selected, check that your links are working, and reread your Bio. Most authors and publishers who put books on NetGalley are after one thing (well, two things): reviews on Amazon and Goodreads, where other readers actually spend their time. It was around this time that both self-published and traditionally published authors came to recognize the importance of reviews, especially of the very first write-ups that a book receives. Your Bio can help to give publishers insight into your role and how you can best work with them. requests a title from a publisher via Netgalley, that publisher has to go through by hand and approve each request. You can filter for genre but there aren't that many ReadNow, I just look at it every few days and scan through the latest. Based on that, they can decide you're a juvenile delinquent a person who struggles with their responsibilities, and not grant your request! Dont: Get too personal I enjoyed mangas and graphic humor books (I got a lot of books from comic artists I follow on IG). Including important stats about your platforms, such as average monthly pageviews to your blog or social media following, is very helpful for publishers. A lot of the time, this is a really easy decision! Thanks for the insight! Press J to jump to the feed. Set your own deadline a week before the publication date if possible, so you wont be scrambling to write a review at the last minute. , No worries, Im glad it was useful for you . If your bio makes your head swim with the numbers, 99% says its going to make the publicists head swim too! Founded in 2008, NetGalley began gaining serious traction a few years later, buoyed by the rising tide of Goodreads and similar review sites. This pays off if you track it daily, I snagged ALL SCOT AND BOTHERED by Kerrigan Byrne on a 1-day ReadNow and I tried to alert a FB group I used to be in but it was already gone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43438815-all-scot-and-bothered, I gave ALL SCOT AND BOTHERED a sincere 5-star review and St Martin's apparently decided it likes me because now publishers have reached out and given me widgets (pre-approved links) to read other historicals. Your reviews can help an unknown author find their audience. Im going to give several bloggers profiles as examples! While you may think that selecting more categories will increase your chances of picking up books, resist the urge to do so. Im also experiencing a major change in my personal life that is the worst negative possible I suppose. In the Account Security section of your profile, youll find the email address associated with your account. Great advice as always, Zuky. Dec 27, 2022. You can read. I saw that your profile picture updated on Instagram, which I really love! Any other information religion, marital status, professional degrees, non-book-related careers youve had dont need to be included in your profile. How was your holiday?! If you are a bookseller, book trade professional, educator, librarian, reviewer, journalist or in the media, NetGalley is for you! tab), so theres no need to list them again in your Bio. Are you an OwnVoices reviewer? which categories you prefer. However, you also have to fill out your company (presumably helpful if you work in publishing or for a magazine/newspaper) and your role. Youll be asked what appeals to you about this book: author, cover, description, or I just keep hearing about it!. Pamela @ Reverie Society Educates! Including important stats about your platforms, such as average monthly pageviews to your blog or social media reach, is helpful for publishers. As for the profile, if it says anything other than Excellent, click on the little pencil symbol beside it. , Really useful Zuky no wonder you get approvals all the time , Thanks Nicki and hmm yes maybe Maybe I need to change it so I get declined more because god knows I need to shorten my NG shelf lol, This is so helpful, my bio is crap! Sorry I almost forgot the Rise of Aurora West and Battling Boy. Blogging Calendars. One thing I forgot to mention, but have now added, is that remember to update your stats reasonably often to keep everything up to date .