What would you say is the biggest thing you've learned about the Catholic Church, through your research and historical analysis of the HIV and AIDS crisis. Use arrows to navigate between autocomplete results. A couple of days later, Lamoriello called Loughlin and asked for another meeting in his office. So I began an internship at America Magazine, where I work now, back in 2009 as a grad student, and then was lucky to do a lot of freelancing. I never really thought about the tensions that arose during the AIDS crisis with the Catholic church and work for social justice issues in that time. ", Review: "O'Loughlin challenges everyoneto fight injustice", "Pope thanks religious, lay people who help HIV/AIDS patients", "On World AIDS Day, Pope calls for renewed solidarity with victims", "In new letter, Pope Francis praises priests, nuns who cared for AIDS victims", "Pope Francis thanks Americas Michael J. OLoughlin for reporting on Catholic responses to H.I.V./AIDS", "Pope Francis praises book detailing LGBTQ ministry during HIV/AIDS pandemic", "New book tells untold stories of queer Catholics in the 1980s", "'Hidden Mercy brought to light for World AIDS Day", "An Interview With 'Hidden Mercy' Author Michael OLoughlin", Review: "filled with inspiring characters and stories", "The Catholic Church and the global HIV/AIDS crisis", "New Book on AIDS Highlights Compassion of Sisters and Colleagues at St. Vincents", Review: "We gain inspiration, and understand our own struggles more clearly", "Book explores role of Catholics in AIDS crisis during 80s and 90s", "The Untold Stories of AIDS and the Catholic Church", "Celebrate Pride Month with books that honor all as 'wonderfully made'", Interview: The Roundtable, WAMC Northeast Public Radio, "Gay and Catholic: Memories of Trauma and Compassion During the AIDS Crisis". Resch might be a master storyteller, but Weber has one for him that he doesnt know, from the days when Weber was working for the Los Angeles Kings and Resch was a goaltender for the Islanders. Matt has covered sports at different levels for a number of years, and, through his hard work, has gained respect in this marketplace, said Lamoriello. O'Loughlin started his career in Adelaide in carting in 1972 and has worked in a heap of stations both On-Air and in programming, including 3XY, Krock, BayFM, 4CA and 4RO to name just a few. During the summer of 1995, Loughlin was the sports anchor at 1010 WINS-AM Radio. The thing I love about him is hes all about stories and people. I was walking into the inner sanctum, so to speak. After a second intermission interview with Jesper Bratt, Loughlin has time during the commercial break to say hello to his son and sons friends who are at the game and have come over to their booth. They talk some more about how great Nashville is as a city. He is movingsouth, for a career change managing a farm in Victorias Goulburn Valley. One year later, Loughlin began hosting the New Jersey Nets pre- and post-game shows, as well as a limited number of Devils and New York Islanders games. Proudly created with Wix.com. Related To Jennifer Oloughlin, Kinie Oloughlin. I noticed that you've been doing a lot of book talks at colleges. Its not intimidating, but I cant count on one hand well, maybe both hands in the 25 years Ive been associated with the Devils that I was in his office, Loughlin said. Resch then came out of retirement to join Loughlin last season. The talk will be recorded and made available as a podcast at a later date. Mike O'Loughlin, the 4CA breakfast announcer. They discuss the Vegas game and which parts to work into the pregame show or the game broadcast the following day in Nashville. New Jersey played the Vegas Golden Knights on Friday at Prudential Center, before a quick trip to Nashvillefor a Saturday night on Broadway. His third and final stint in Cairns is ending after 12 years; his last day on the air will be December 21. He is a man of the people, but many years ago he mentioned that everyone has a name and everyone likes to be called by their name. He has won awards from the Catholic Media Association, the National LGBT Journalists Association, and the Religion News Association. After the skate is over, Loughlin shoots a pregame video. It evolves into an exciting game, with Brian Boyle scoring a 6-on-5 goal in the final moments of regulation, back-and-forth overtime and a shootout. The Devils skipping the afternoon skate gives him an opportunity to explore some of the places hes read about in Lewis book, but also adds a little extra work for him just before showtime. That tip had him beat but the post said, Ill take care of that, Keith. Hes self-deprecating. Later, the Devils have a great chance to tie the game but Marcus Johansson fails to connect with Hischier on a pass. I walk in and he says, I want to offer you the job, Loughlin recalled. (Working with Chico) has been awesome. This past weekend was a unique one on the Devils schedule, and for the teams broadcasters. Dr. Michael T. O'Loughlin, MD | Hartford, CT | Radiologist | US News They focus on the Devils getting three out of four points during a weekend without Hall, and look ahead to a critical upcoming stretch of the season. Jazz musician Mike O&#039;Loughlin's bio, concert & touring information, albums, reviews, videos, photos and more. During the pregame show, Loughlin plays part of his pregame interview with Palmieri and part of Hynes media scrum before they recap the wild Friday night at the Rock. Hes self-deprecating. For me, I didn't know this history until I wrote the book. I dont think the Devils coaches will find much fault in their play from this one. Loughlin and Resch sign off from New Jerseys digital radio broadcast at 10:33 p.m. and, after a couple of quick thank yous to the two local men who helped engineer the show, its time to navigate the 300 levels of the arena and find the quickest route downstairs to the bus. What draws you to the intersection of faith and social issues? Last night it was Nico. Review: "This poignant account shines a well-deserved spotlight on Catholics who chose compassion over fear." Publishers Weekly. View Mike O&#39;Loughlin's profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. Your email address will not be published. Before the game, Resch had taken part in a ribbon-cutting ceremony with members of the Devils ownership group in honor of the opening of the William Hill Sports Lounge, a sports betting haven connected to the Prudential Center. "url": "https://www.allaboutjazz.com/musicians/mike-oloughlin" ', Thats all Keith gave him, right? Loughlin replies. He has been interviewed by a number of media outlets, including NPR, The BBC, ABC, CBS, Fox News, and MSNBC. Mike O'Loughlin, the - RadioInfo Asia He most recently hosted two webcasts on MSGNetwork.com: This Week in Hockey and Battr Up!, featuring interviews with current NHL and MLB players. He has been interviewed by a number of media outlets, including NPR, The BBC, ABC, CBS, Fox News, and MSNBC. , He knows everybody. Mike O'loughlin Profiles | Facebook Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. by Resch also has family at the game and spends some time with them during the intermission. On top of writing, OLoughlin also hosts the podcast Plague: Untold Stories of AIDS and the Catholic Church.. That Fiala says one of his idols growing up was ex-Devils forward Jaromir Jagr is an added bonus. All Rights Reserved. And if we fail to understand the religious motivations for those responses, we won't understand fully what's actually happening in society. Resides in Saint Augustine, FL. Then, Loughlin points out something Hynes had told him earlier in the day, which he said hed read somewhere that Nashville is host to a crazy number of bachelorette parties each month. by Brandy Daniels Tonight it was Ryan Johansen and he wears the wrong jersey for the Devils.. Youve done TV mostly and radio only early in your career. He had some questions. }. East Rutherford, NJ - (August 1, 2006) The New Jersey Devils named Matt Loughlin to its radio broadcast team as play-by-play announcer. He is having a career change and will manage a farm in Victoria's Goulburn Valley. It's a motivation that compels strong responses in people in very different ways. On this day, the Friday of the back-to-back, Loughlin wakes up at 7:45 a.m. and leaves home for The Rock two hours later. Its been a blast. Ive learned a lot about hockey history from him, and we get along really well.. Ernie Sigley. Yeah, I feel like religious responses are really complex. They will wait for Taylor Hall, but they wont wait for Matt Loughlin or Chico Resch, Loughlin says. Not just because of the comeback, but because they also finally won a game in overtime and they might have needed a miracle to do it.. Media | Michael O'Loughlin degree in marketing. What makes you passionate about that area of writing? , by Kate Seddon I've worked on newspapers, in high school and college and grad school. One moment, you will be redirected shortly. Loughlin is a New Jersey native and a proud Seton Hall alum. Matt Loughlin - Wikipedia His drive to the arena sometimes includes a stop at Dunkin Donuts, depending on time and traffic. Your book came out in 2021, so relatively recently. Also known as M F Oloughlin, Michael Loughlin, M O'Loughlin, M Loughlin, Michael O'Loughlin, Oloughlin Michael. There was a little bit of a transition from TV to radio because theres nobody talking in your ear, no producer. I called it the Miracle on Mulberry Street, Resch says. It also told me that if there's any spaces in the Catholic Church today that are friendly to the LGBT community, whether it's the parish I go to, other parishes I visited around the country, Catholic universities, Catholic schools, any Catholic space that is welcoming to the LGBT community, is not an accident. His career path led him away from radio and into television and, while he spent the better part of 15 years hosting pre- and postgame shows for the Devils, Mets and Nets, his desire to be a play-by-play announcer did not go away. Mike has 9 jobs listed on their profile. So, it really complicated my understanding of history at that time, in a way that showed me the truth was much more vibrant and vital than I appreciated. Saturday becomes the type of game where they need to rely on their research and rapport a little bit more. It worked out really, really well in terms of her professionalism, her knowledge of the team, her knowledge of the medium., (Working with Chico) has been awesome. And they all want a piece of him. The Official Site of the New Jersey Devils. Justin Smith (presenter) Pete Smith (announcer) Jo Stanley. He tries to learn everyones name and talks to everyone from the top organization down to someone who may be very important but is a ticket-taker or an usher. During Loughlins 12 years as sports director, the network received six national CableACE Awards, including three for Overall Sports Coverage. Just seeing how different their lives are and how there are still common elements where they can connect with one another. In a phone interview with The Beacon, OLoughlin discussed his experience as a writer, the importance of the stories in Hidden Mercy and what he hopes we can learn from them. "Pope Francis Sent Me a Letter. A familiar voice to many from the 7XS Breakfast Show, as well as his time on LAFM and 7SD - we look forward to. Resch and Loughlin both catch up with Pete Weber, the longtime Predators announcer, before the game. Then sort of looking at what's happening with the church today, like what have we learned from that time in history? But he said, You cant leave without telling me yes or no. I said, Well, this is a pretty big change Im making and he said, You should have thought about that before you applied. You spoke about reconciling your own experience with faith and sexuality. He talks with Nick Bonino about growing up in Connecticut, and with Kevin Fiala about his Swiss roots. During the postgame show, Loughlin and Resch talk with Brett Seney, who scored the tying goal. The end of 40 years for 'Locco' - Radio Today Send us your media releases. Locco is back - Radio Today Hes got some good stories. Matt Loughlin is an American sportscaster who is the radio play-by-play voice of the New Jersey Devils of the National Hockey League on WFAN, where he is partnered with former goaltender and former Devils TV color commentator Chico Resch. Angus O'Loughlin - Creator - From Your Pocket - LinkedIn Drawn to the question of how religion and faith take shape in the public sphere, award-winning journalist Michael OLoughlin, seeks a deeper understanding of responses from members of the catholic church during the HIV and AIDS crisis of the 80s and 90s in his book Hidden Mercy. She can be reached at wanzek22@up.edu. Matt Loughlin and Chico Resch finish their postgame show Saturday night, after the Devils lost in a shootout to the Nashville Predators at Bridgestone Arena and, after all the preparation to put together two hockey broadcasts in about 28 hours, the time left to catch the team bus becomes the most important number of the moment. Michael J. OLoughlin is the author of Hidden Mercy: Catholics, AIDS, and Untold Stories of Compassion in the Face of Fear, which is based on the America podcast series, Plague: Untold Stories of AIDS and the Catholic Church. Mike is the national correspondent and an associate editor at America: The Jesuit Reviewand the author of The Tweetable Pope: A Spiritual Revolution in 140 Characters. Typically for home games, he goes home for a few hours to complete his preparation. Locco would also be looking on with pride at his son, Angus', growing radio career. I had never heard that before.. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. | All content 1996-2023. Weve got 12 minutes to get to the bus.. To be honest I was thrilled to get back. On this day, he stays and works in the media room at Prudential Center. Loughlin became the radio voice of the Devils 13 years ago and has been around the team for a quarter of a century. And they all want a piece of him. The best bonding is winning, Resch says. See the complete profile on LinkedIn and discover Mike's . Ive learned a lot about hockey history from him, and we get along really well., Loughlin chatting with Predators forward Kevin Fiala. There were many Catholic priests who were providing pastoral care to gay men dying from AIDS complications and their partners. In the aftermath of the Devils 2-1 shootout loss, the two have to improvise a bit during the postgame show because they dont have a player to interview (that happens sometimes after a loss on the road). Sometimes it sets up where the odds are so stacked up against you, but that is just when you win, Resch says. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. I kind of stumbled into it, but it's worked out over the past several years. That had been upsetting to me because I really value my faith and it was a big part of my life, and I felt like I was being forced to choose between two parts of my identity and it felt upsetting and unfair. From the field to the booth: These New Jersey athletes became sports broadcasters", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Matt_Loughlin&oldid=1016863072, This page was last edited on 9 April 2021, at 13:38. radioinfo ABN: 960 699 39797 | PO Box 6430 North Ryde NSW 2113 Australia. Share on twitter Share on facebook 3SRFM Mike 'Locco' O'Loughlin Recent comments (0) Post new comment Load more posts Jobs 6PR Digital Content Producer Loughlin began his broadcasting career in 1979 as a news reporter at WCTC-AM in New Brunswick (NJ). Loughlins post-lunch routine on the road usually includes last-minute alterations to his charts or notes for the night and time spent walking around. It was the moments before that when Loughlin and Resch found ways to be insightful and entertaining during a game that, by Loughlins own admission was not exactly a barnburner in terms of displaying their talents and chemistry. Loughlins play-by-play experience also includes the New Jersey Red Dogs of the Arena Football League in 1997 and 1998. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. The duo immediately dives into a discussion about how Johansson was in a great position to shoot, but after seeing a replay they come back from a commercial break and Resch points out that Hischier got caught watching Johansson and not driving to the net as hard as he could have. Beyond the broadcast: A wild weekend on the road with Devils radio (Corey Masisak), Resch making some last-minute additions to his game chart. Michael O'Loughlin (175 matches): Phone Number, Email, Address (3 It's really interesting to hear you talking about this and how those stories that may have slipped away, how you recover them, to look back at history in a new light and see the stories that may not have been shown. "@type": "Person", Your email address will not be published. Hynes speaks with the media just before 5 p.m. and Loughlin interviews Kyle Palmieri, leaving little time for Lachot in Phoenix to have sound from both conversations ready for the pregame show. "image": "", Both were new for the 2006-07 season, but Chorske decided to return to Minnesota with his family after just one year. Our weekly newsletter highlights our top stories and includes a local jazz events calendar. Privacy Policy | We do not sell or share your personal information | 2023 All About Jazz & Jazz Near You . Loughlin ties in parts of his talk with Fiala from earlier in the day, discussing with Hischier the rise of Swiss hockey and former Islanders captain Mark Streit leading the charge. It was, Why do you think you can do this? If I had asked you this morning what could be the worst-case scenario, this is what you would have said.. But hes picked it up well. Theyll come to our booth and were on the air, but its OK. Theyll yell, Chi-cooooo, and hell acknowledge them so thats cool., Sherry came in, and she had done it previously, Loughlin said. (Corey Masisak), Resch stopped to chat with Ivan, a diehard Predators fan. I was hired by the Boston Globe and worked there for a couple of years covering the Catholic Church and then started back up in America in 2016. He had chances to fill in, particularly with the Devils when Mike Doc Emrick had national network responsibilities, but when the New Jersey radio job opened in 2006, Loughlin saw it as an opportunity for his big break. Thats one of his great traits.. He is currently writing for America Media and has written for The Boston Globe, The Atlantic, The Washington Post, and more. All About Jazz musician pages are maintained by musicians, publicists and trusted members like you. "Michael O'Loughlin On AIDS And The Church". In addition to years of content development, he has over 20,000 hours of audio editing and digital asset creation under his belt.<br><br>After 13 years with the Southern Cross Austereo network working on some of radio's largest shows, including National Nights, Capital City Breakfast . I've been really fortunate that there was this creative outlet where I could bring my passion for religion with my love of writing and asking questions. 2018by Michael J. O'Loughlin. Then Poile joins him in the makeshift radio booth for a chat about his Hall of Fame induction and the growth of hockey in Tennessee. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. All rights reserved. Hes a man of the people, Loughlin says of his partner. Includes Address (7) Phone (4) Email (19) See Results. Review: "O'Loughlin has done invaluable work by excavating and . They meet up with each other to go over their own talking points, but theyre also chatting with broadcasters from the other team, other members of the media, and just about anyone else they might run into in the media room when dinner is being served. One of my favorite parts is chatting with people after the event ends. , by Meg Breen Resch was the starting goaltender when the Colorado Rockies moved to New Jersey in 1982 and is in his 20th season as an analyst for the club the first 18 were on television before a three-year retirement and a return to the radio booth with Loughlin last season.