Load data for the 45 colt rifle | The Firearms Forum Pyrodex P is the equivalent of Triple-F or FFFg black powder. In slugging the barrels of later pre-World War II guns with wider flat lands, serial numbers 347xxx (1924) and 355xxx (1936), along with two factory. It has never failed me. This lets it feed in many cowboy-action guns and use common 45 ACP load data. One problem inherent with the original #454424 was the fact that when sized to 0.451 to 0.452 inch, the crimping groove almost disappears. For the 45 Colt, I especially prefer the 250-grain RNFP and the 255-grain SWC. These two examples were produced in 1875 (left) and 1887 (below). Instead of being overly large, Rugers have been way too tight, with some measuring around 0.449 inch, but now Ruger is cutting all cylinder throats at 0.451 to 0.452 inch. Moving up to the second level, loads at around 1,000 fps with the same-weight bullet are used in the Colt New Frontier, Smith & Wesson Model 25/625, Ruger Flat-Top New Model, and the Ruger New Vaquero. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: They are my choice for everyday use and also for hunting larger, tougher game. All Rights Reserved. We were soon shooting 300-grain bullets at 1,200 fps from a 7.5-inch-barreled Ruger revolver. In ranking the various 45 Colt sixguns now in production from the least strongest to that capable of a handling the heaviest loads, I would set the following order. I shot all kinds of bullets and powders from my 45 colt from 200gr to 350 gr trying to find something that was better than the other. The original .45 Colt bullet profile is known as a truncated cone or round nosed flat point (RNFP). Normal powders vary quite a bit and also have a larger spread between shots. Stocky's Owner Don Bitz walks David Faubion through the company's new rifle stocks for 2023. The Colt Single Action Army, Colt New Frontier, Ruger New Model Flat-Top, Ruger New Vaquero, and Smith & Wesson Model 25/625 are all very close strength-wise. SCCY DVG-1 Sub-Compact Striker-Fired Pistol: Full Review, Buyer Beware: Buying 'Bargain' Guns Can Be Risky. SWC - 9.0 grains Unique Lyman # 452664 , 250 gr. There were no 45 Colt heavyweight bullets available at the time, so we sized down 300-grain 45-70 bullets in several stages, going from around 0.460 inch to 0.452 inch. Clays, Universal, HP38, HS6, HS7 and H4895 are products of Hodgdon Powders. A bullet with a copper gas check or copper plating is best for INDOOR ranges to keep lead vapors out of the air. Dropping down to 30 grains results in an easier-shooting 835 fps and a group of 1.13 inches. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. 2020, Lyman Products Corporation, printed in U.S.A. All other trademarks in this catalog are the property of their respective owners. Contest open to U.S. residents only. As always there are occasional exceptions, including two guns manufactured in 1900 and 1902 that slugged .458 and .453 inch, respectively, but they seemed to be more out-of-spec than the normal. I found the following heavyweight bullets all would work through both the Winchester and Marlin actions: NEI 310 Keith, NEI 325 Keith, Lyman #454629GC 300-grain FN, RCBS #45-270 SAA weighing around 284 grains with my alloy, and I also checked the #454490GC design by Ray Thompson, which is a 255-grain Keith-style gas-checked bullet. The .45 Colt was developed in 1872 and first chambered for the Colt Single Action Army revolver in 1873. Most are either .451 (jacketed) or .452 (lead) and Sierra even makes jacketed bullets for the Colt SAA that are .4515 splitting the difference. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Contrary to popular belief, the Mason patented spring-loaded, cylinder-pin release catch first appeared in 1896 around serial number 164,000, which were still black powder guns. This revolver is fitted with a new line-bored cylinder that is tightly chambered with .452-inch throats, a .003-inch barrel/cylinder gap and the forcing cone cut to 11 degrees. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. I use the same industry measurement as the .45 ACP .470 inch. Some of my most accurate loads are as follows: The Lyman/Thompson #454490 GC over 20.0 grains of #42274 gives a group at 1,275 fps or 20.0 grains of #2400 for 150 fps more velocity and a group just over 1. We are currently populating the cartridge drop-down menu with updated cartridge renderings, new propellants and bullets, and links to complimentary product pages. now im looking for top performance load data to ass to my load data book for this caliber. Idaho Department of Fish & Game, State Agency: Handgun Data - Speer .45 Colt Rifle Data (Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition) Soon after smokeless powder came into use, throats were increased to .4555 inch (according to Colt specifications), which worked fine with .456-inch lead hollowbase bullets contained in Remington and Winchester ammunition. Starting load is 12.4 grains and top load is 15.4 grains of Blue Dot. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. I have yet to find any levergun or sixgun that does not shoot this Dick Casull-designed bullet exceptionally well. Jacketed bullets are also more difficult to push down the bore and therefore produce less velocity than a cast bullet of equal weight. The on-line Hogdon load data shows the following for TiteGroup and a 255 gr LSWC: Starting load of 5.0 gr for an approx 716 feet per second and a pressure of 7.6K cup. Technical Specifications (based on the respective safety standard - see more details in tab "Datasheet" if available) Caliber: .45 Colt. There are some excellent jacketed bullets available for use in the 45 Colt, including the Sierra 240-grain JHP,Hornady250-grain XTP-JHP, and the Speer 260-grain JHP, all of which I prefer for deer-sized game. This was achieved with 40 grains of black powder. HS7 is slowest of the group (Similar to 2400) There were no 45 Colt heavyweight bullets available at the time, so we sized down 300-grain 45-70 bullets in several stages, going from around 0.460 inch to 0.452 inch. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. Alaska Department of Fish & Game, State Agency: The new-for-2023 lineup includes ultralight hunting stocks and a VGA 2-pound adjustable vertical-grip stock. For comparison the above .44 Magnum factory loads (which are admittedly conservative) have a TKO factor only slightly higher at 17.35. One problem inherent with the original #454424 was the fact that when sized to 0.451 to 0.452 inch, the crimping groove almost disappears. I usually select an expander ball that is at least .003 to .004 inch smaller than bullet diameter, which helps prevent bullets from jumping crimp and aids in achieving consistent powder ignition. (See note on Powders below or read all about various Powders.) The Judge has been promoted! Beginning in the early 1980s both Winchester and Marlin began offering .45 Colt leverguns. On paper, the 357 Magnum was the first cartridge to exceed the 45 Colts muzzle energy, but many knowledgeable sixgunners, Elmer Keith included, believed the 45 Colt actually offered more practical power than the First Magnum. Today, it remains one of our most popular sixgun cartridges. It has never failed me. Arizona Game & Fish Department, State Agency: Oregon Trails 250-grain RNFP over 8.0 grains of W231 clocks out just under 1,100 fps with three-shot groups of 1" or less. However, my first test with OLD Nitro 100 were very light, too light. It is impossible to go wrong with the 45 Colt. The proud tradition and history of Lyman Products began simply in the late 1800?s when William Lyman, an avid outdoorsman and inventor, created a product that resolved problems with gun sights of his day. Box 488, Escondido, CA 92033. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Everyone who has a Ruger Blackhawk or Freedom Arms single-action revolver realizes the roots of these modern guns go back to the Colt Single Action Army. Arkansas Game & Fish Commission, State Agency: The final level includes custom five-shot Rugers and the Freedom Arms Model 83. Subscriber Services. Lyman has been an important name for shooters for well over 100 years. I would think that the load you are using would be safe. Facing off in a handgun challenge featuring the smallest professional-grade enclosed red dot sight on the market, Eric and Tom put the Acro P-2 to the distance test by doing a walk-back challenge. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. It is often associated with its vital role in settling the western frontier, where it found favor with lawmen, outlaws and anyone that needed a potent sixgun. El Hombre Sin Nombre Members 6.3k Gender:Male Location:Oakland, CA SASS# 101096 Richmond Roughriders, Coyote Valley Cowboys, Faultine Shootist Society,Two Rivers Posse, River City Regulators Posted February 18, 2017 In addition to outstanding terminal performance and accuracy in guns with correct internal dimensions, it offers low pressures, mild muzzle report and controllable recoil, all of which make it especially practical for an outdoorsman who uses a sixgun daily. Colt single actions are right around 0.454 inch. When Ray Thompson was designing his line of bullets, he did not neglect the 45. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. In fact, an axiom with me is, When all else fails, try IMR 4227 before giving up. Years ago, after tiring of oversized 45 Colt chambers in Colt Single Action Army revolvers and New Frontiers, I started with a 357 Magnum New Frontier, had the cylinder rechambered properly and tightly to 45 Colt, and then had a new 4.75-inch Colt New Frontier barrel fitted. I soon developed an appreciation for reliable performance on game using. We were soon shooting 300-grain bullets at 1,200 fps from a 7.5-inch-barreled Ruger revolver. In guns with .452-inch throats, the Magma designed 250-grain RNFP offered by most commercial cast bullet companies (Oregon Trail used here) can be surprisingly accurate. There are many good jacketed bullets for the .45 Colt. SWC), 853 (Powder UP see note) (Hi=872.5 Lo=827.5 Spread=45 fps)(some unburned powder), 802 (Powder DOWN see note) (Hi=809.2 Lo=792.6 Spread=16.6 fps). Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winners. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. (NOTE: Sections marked Ruger Only are not for the New Model Blackhawk Flat-Tops or the New Vaquero!) Its also a good choice for hunting. It is impossible to go wrong with the 45 Colt. The revolver and ammunition were officially adopted for service in 1873. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. .45 Colt (180-200 grain bullets) .44 Mag (180-200 grain bullets) .38-40 (180 grain bullets) I had hangfires in the .45 Colt with less amount of Reddot. 45 "Cowboy" Special | Handloading Notebook Chris Johnson, FN Senior Product Manager, walks us through two new FN striker-fired pistols at SHOT Show 2023: the FN 510 Tactical, chambered in 10mm Auto, and the FN 545 Tactical, chambered in .45 ACP. (NOTE: Sections marked Ruger Only are not for the New Model Blackhawk Flat-Tops or the New Vaquero!) Contest open to U.S. residents only. Addeddate 2019-02-26 16:21:01 Identifier No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. in pistol calibers than the old. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, State Agency: ), RCBS #45-270SWC (284 gr.). Some people have tried to load the .45 Colt to levels of the .44 Magnum. After that date bore diameters were reduced to .451-.452 inch, the same as the .45 Auto. I can only assume the above statement of bore diameter was intended to indicate groove, diameter. The day of the percussion revolver would soon be over, and even Colt could see the future and began converting 1860 cap-and-ball sixguns to fire cartridges. Because case capacity is large, trying to produce lighter loads with slow-burning powders can give very poor results. .45 Colt Handgun Data (Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition) For developing the accompanying data, a 1970 vintage (second generation) Colt New Frontier SAA with 5.5-inch barrel was. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. LYMAN Reloading Products A trusted Brand since the 1800?s. your comments are very greatful. No purchase necessary. barrel differ from a 4 4/5 revolver by .45 Colt Handgun Data (Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition) Warning! Taurus Marketing Manager Caleb Giddings highlights the features of the new Taurus Raging Hunter 460 Magnum, a purpose-built revolver with a 10.5-inch barrel and an effective recoil-taming brake, with Guns & Ammo Executive Editor Joe Kurtenbach. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. It is my most used powder both in cap-and-ball and cartridge-firing sixguns when black powder loads are desired. It is superbly accurate and will often shoot well in sixguns that are cranky about shooting plain-based bullets. The 9.2 got the best SD and EP, if that means much to you. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/ad.php?t=78528, http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi&id=1465047205, Vintage Boxes - Gear, Shell, Case, Primer, Group Buys Design, Active , Waiting and Archives, Closed Buys/Waiting for delivery/in shipment, If this is your first visit, be sure to