It was also a thanks to his sports team for supporting him through the years. Farewell Speech. This method of curing the disease is extremely controversial, however because the main method of receiving the stem cells is through aborted fetuses. That was what happened to the legendary Lou Gehrig. Therefore, he was no longer able to play baseball, a sport in which he played 2,130 consecutive games. Second, opinions this reflects the different viewpoints of the speakers regarding a wide range of issues. Kennedy establishes common ground to make an attempt at unifying the United States as well as inputting a direct reference to a greek poet and an empathic tone to convey his emotions. He is addressing the crowd gathered for the Home Plate ceremony at the Yankee's stadium. Cavicke, Dana, and Patrick J. OLeary. Lou Gehrig's speech, Farewell to Baseball Address, delivers an emotional punch to the gut as he explains about how lucky he is to have had a wonderful life with some amazing people. Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not freethe Negro is sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chain of discrimination, (King 261). He says, I have been in ballparks for 17 years and have Copyright 2023 service.graduateway.com. Randy Pausch uses Pathos to get his point across to his audience. It causes weakness, muscle atrophy, and difficulty. Being a Missouri native, Angela Juergensmeyer grew up watching St. Louis Cardinals baseball with her family and enjoying every minute of it. The Farewell Speech has had a lasting impact on sports and popular culture. During Luckiest Man, he is addressing why he is retiring from his beloved sport of, He was catching the attention of his fans and letting them know this speech was being given for them, since they helped him reach this point in his career through their unending support. decision was not based on whim or emotion, but rather on sound medical advice. Rhetorical Analysis Of Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech 917 Words | 4 Pages On July 4, 1939, at the Yankee Stadium a man conveyed a standout amongst the most moving and powerful addresses. Gehrig seemed to have the world in the palm of his hand. 2012. Lou Gehrig was the only son of two hardworking German immigrants. Imagine that one of the greatest baseball players ever had to retire due to a life threatening condition, later to be named after him. He begins his speech by saying, Fans, for the past two weeks you have American International School of Cape Town. of his Farewell Speech, but it is likely that he was feeling a mix of sadness, frustration, and ALS is a neurological disease that attacks the bodys neurons that control voluntary muscle movement (Amyotrophic). Gehrig appeals to ethos in his farewell speech by explaining to his audience how lucky he feels about who he was able to play, Without the usage of pathos, Gehrigs farewell speech wouldnt have been nearly as effective with his audience and the audience that would hear his speech or read his speech at a later time. He talks about his kids and how they are the ones he wrote this last lecture for, saying I only wrote this lecture for three people, and when theyre older, theyll watch it. 1173 Words5 Pages. To access this resource, youll need to allow TPT to add it to your Google Drive. In Fact, Gehrig played on the. Lou Gehrig's "Farewell Address to Baseball" was a short speech directed at baseball fans to discuss his great life and career. Imagine that one of the greatest baseball players ever had to retire due to a life threatening condition, later to be named after him. Gehrig's words are infused with emotion, as he speaks with gratitude, I plan to do my rhetorical analysis on this very speech. Supplemental understanding of the topic including revealing main issues described in the particular theme; June 19th, 1939 one of the New York Yankees and baseball's most famous first baseman, Lou Gehrig, was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis after six days of extensive testing. match. He was blessed with an amazing career playing for the New York Yankees setting many major league records such as 2,130 consecutive games from 1925 to 1939. Get original paper in 3 hours and nail the task. Rather, the Farewell Address is a Presidential tradition, started by George Washington, that every president takes part in before leaving office. By: Bailey Paulus Hanna Bastien Kathryn Brooks Olivia Seely What is a rhetorical analysis? ALS patients have anywhere from a few months, to a couple years to live after diagnosis since their nervous systems are slowly destroyed, rendering the body useless, and sustaining life impossible. Lou rouses emotions of melancholy and sympathy among his audience when talking about his ALS disease Emphasis on family Towards the end of his speech, Lou brings up his family and his wife who represented a "tower of strength" for Lou. Rumors abounded; Gehrig wanted to assure his fans he still considered himself blessed and lucky. This statement is an example of logos, as it uses logical and scientific language to explain the, reasons for Gehrig's retirement. This man was very unique, he contained guts, courage, and a whole lot of drive. In this speech he is showing a side of him that is very optimistic. People who are treated unwantedly wanted a right, freedom, and change in society. Sadness at the end of his baseball career, frustration at the disease that had forced him one of the most famous and poignant in sports history, is a testament to Gehrig's character and Gehrig was not removed from playing baseball; rather, Gehrig took himself out, after not being able to leg out an infield hit. This is done through the use of motivational appeals, rhetorical devices, and expressing to the audience a purpose. Of all the players in baseball history, none possessed as much talent and humility as Lou Gehrig. Patients usually live a few years after the diagnosis. He was substantially more gifted on the baseball field as opposed to conveying speeches. Being a sports enthusiast, a memorable speech comes to my mind. Due to the courage and humility that this baseball icon showed on the podium in Yankee Ball Park that day, this speech has gone down as one of the most inspirational speeches in history. It was so important that he displayed these emotions because then he would contrast to the ideals that many American people had come to believe. I love teaching my students about rhetorical strategies and devices, analyzing what makes an effective and persuasive argument, and reading critical speeches with my students. Some researchers have contrived hypotheses that suggest that ALS is linked to a hereditary gene that is passed down through offspring (Marx). President Obama, like all Presidents before him, delivered a farewell address to the United States on January 20, 2017. His heart wasnt in the game. The reason for this was Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis disease or ALS. writing your own paper, but remember to Pausch also talks about his family, and love for his wife. Though this guidance is not often followed, Washington had good reasons for giving it. Yet today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face Because of his leadership, bravery and sacrifice to make the world a better place, Martin Luther King was awarded with the Nobel Peace Prize. Robert Kennedy could easily relate to this death since his brother was recently killed just as King was. (Gehrig 1) When children and fans alike idolize a player like this, they seem to think of them as invincible (Muder 16). : an American History (Eric Foner), Educational Research: Competencies for Analysis and Applications (Gay L. R.; Mills Geoffrey E.; Airasian Peter W.), Chemistry: The Central Science (Theodore E. Brown; H. Eugene H LeMay; Bruce E. Bursten; Catherine Murphy; Patrick Woodward), Psychology (David G. Myers; C. Nathan DeWall), Campbell Biology (Jane B. Reece; Lisa A. Urry; Michael L. Cain; Steven A. Wasserman; Peter V. Minorsky), Biological Science (Freeman Scott; Quillin Kim; Allison Lizabeth), Civilization and its Discontents (Sigmund Freud), Brunner and Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing (Janice L. Hinkle; Kerry H. Cheever), Forecasting, Time Series, and Regression (Richard T. O'Connell; Anne B. Koehler), A comprehensive, thorough rhetorical analysis of Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech., Blaxicans - Grade: A- A Mexican Ruling By Richard Rodriguez, Summary for "What My Bike Taught Me About White Privilege", M2 Essay Assignment Intersectionality and Pop Culture, College writing 106 documented essay final Revised draft, Seidel's Guide to Physical examination (043), Assessing Impact on Student Learning (D093), Introductory Biology: Cell And Developmental Biology (BIOMG 1350), American Politics and US Constitution (C963), Communication As Critical Inquiry (COM 110), Variations in Psychological Traits (PSCH 001), Transition To The Nursing Profession (NR-103), Introduction To Computer And Information Security (ITO 310), Introduction to Interpersonal Communications ( COMM 102), Professional Application in Service Learning I (LDR-461), Advanced Anatomy & Physiology for Health Professions (NUR 4904), Principles Of Environmental Science (ENV 100), Operating Systems 2 (proctored course) (CS 3307), Comparative Programming Languages (CS 4402), Business Core Capstone: An Integrated Application (D083), Physio Ex Exercise 8 Activity 3 - Assessing Pepsin Digestion of Proteins, Active Learning Template Nursing Skill form Therapeutic Communication, Ch. Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. This means that every time they throw a strike, he gets more determined to hit a home run. name, used the occasion of his retirement to thank his fans, teammates, and loved ones for their This device is a question being asked that isn't meant to have an answer. My present condition is due to hard work, and that condition is not a bad one. Baseball Doubles as a Symbol of the Country. He adopts a thankful tone by showing how humble he is to have played the game of baseball with many great people thus using grateful terminology for his teammates and associates and reassuring terminology for baseball fans who were worried about him and his fatal disease. Because the disease is so rare and unique it is hard for scientists to pinpoint the causes of it even with todays technology. Web. This was the message that Ray Lewis conveyed to the Stanford mens basketball team in a pre game speech. Kennedy was making a type of statement, on how we the americans should show more compassion to those who dont have anything. He wanted people to know him as a normal person instead of a great and fascinating celebrity. He then ends the paragraph and the repetition by stating that having a wife that loves and supports her husband is the finest I know. This is initiated from very beginning, in the exordium when Gehrig states, "Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. This context surrounds the speech and emphasizes it. The body is where majority of the information is contained. Lou Gehrigs farewell to baseball speech was about much more than just baseball. The speech brought attention to the disease and its horrid nature and even today, we are reminded that Gehrig had the disease as the more common name for ALS is Lou Gehrigs Disease. Martin Luther King Jr., a minister and social activist, led the Civil Rights Movement in the United States from the mid-1950s until his death by assassination in 1968. With Honors. These individuals include Stephen Hawking, Jim Hunter, Steve Gleason, George Yardley. Pages 2. I always knew that as long as I was following Babe to the plate I could have gone up there and stood on my head. Gehrig uses many words with a positive connotation, which help create his positive tone. In one of the greatest sentences in sports history, Lou remarks, So I close in saying that I may have had a bad break, but I have an awful lot to live for. He states I might have been given a bad break, but I have much to live for, infers his will to live. Academic Search Complete. Web. Copyright 2023 StudeerSnel B.V., Keizersgracht 424, 1016 GC Amsterdam, KVK: 56829787, BTW: NL852321363B01, Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech is a powerful and emotional address that was delivered, by the legendary baseball player on July 4, 1939, at, who was forced to retire from baseball due to a debilitating disease that would later bear his, name, used the occasion of his retirement to thank his fans, teammates, and loved ones for their, support and to reflect on his career and his life. His own opinions were formed by his experiences as President. Academic Search Complete. On July 4, 1939, in the New York Yankee stadium. In order to prevent revolts, Kennedy established common ground with his audience, he created an empathetic tone, and references a Greek poet to instill peace in the minds of his audience. The disease completely paralyzes the victims body and prevents them from even talking (Cavicke, Dana, and OLeary). Though he knows he will shortly die, he believes that he really is the luckiest man alive. Speech Analysis Role of Stem-cell Therapy in the Management of ALS, a Neurodegenerative Disorder. A-myo-trophic means no muscle nourishment (ALS association: What Is ALS?). rest of the Oriole team were put up for sale. Also throughout the speech Gehrig did not seek sympathy from his situation; in fact, he did not once mention his disease specifically and rather focused on the positive moments that he had experienced throughout his life. Martin Luther King Jr. is one of the most influential African-American activists in American History and was a key participant in the Civil Rights movement, the goal of which was to provide full civil rights to all rights in America. Web. Gehrig's farewell speech included rhetorical stratigies. Phi Kappa Phi Forum 89. sincere and heartfelt. For as long as I have known the game of baseball and learned of our countrys history, there is one man that has always stood out to me. submit it as your own as it will be considered plagiarism. Copyright 2023 IPL.org All rights reserved. He adopts a personal tone in order to convey to the people of Arkansas that he understands how they feel in this situation. . Gehrig's mom pushed her son hard and is the reason he was such a gifted athlete not only in baseball but in football as well. Washington warned against a government with an unmoderated political party system (Spalding 75), Ronald Reagan warned of the effects of an America devoid of patriotism. Lou Gehrig is remembered as one of the most talented and phenomenal baseball players of all time. Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech 570 Words | 3 Pages You may use it as a guide or sample for In Reagans address, he uses many rhetorical devices to advance his purpose of unifying America, for instance, Reagan utilizes tone, syntax, and pathos to portray his pride, hopefulness, and patriotism for America. In Kings speech he, In Lou Gehrig's "Farewell to Baseball Address," his main goal is to make the claim that is "the luckiest man on the face of the earth" by using multiple techniques. Therefore, he was no longer able to play baseball, a sport in which he played 2,130 consecutive games. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. uses more powerful and plentiful examples of pathos in his literature, examples of which being his I Have a Dream speech and his Letter from Birmingham Jail, than logos due to the more powerful emotional connection they carry which can convince his listeners to sympathize with his civil rights movement. Name __Mathias Schaffhausen_____ Period 6th_____ Directions: Use Lou Gehrig's Farewell Speech to complete the rhetorical analysis charts below. After establishing that he will do whatever is necessary to protect the rights of the students and connects with the Arkansas people by addressing the fact that his decision wasnt based on his personal beliefs, Eisenhower shifts his focus to validating the citizens feelings of anger and feeling slighted. logos, or the appeal to reason and logic. Children, men, and woman across the ballpark cannot believe that this icon, this hero to all American, is dieing as he speaks. The date is July 4, 1939 and it is Lou Gehrig appreciation day at the ballpark. Gehrig's Farewell Speech is a testament to his resilience and his ability to find joy and Fifteen days later on July 4th, 1939 Lou Gehrig flew to Yankee stadium in New York and gave his famous, Farewell to Baseball speech. Lou Gehrigs play that season started to declined though due to his concern for his mother while she was in surgery. Please use the Rhetorical Analysis: Writing Tools & Tips'' to help you before you begin writing. In this case, Lou Gehrig has provided his viewpoint regarding the sadness of baseball fans, and the role that fans should perform not to overshadow the baseball game (Gurak, Lannon and Seijts. He was substantially more gifted on the baseball field as opposed to conveying speeches. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. Likewise, a man Lou Gehrig is considered to be one of the greatest first basmens ever. quoted and referenced by athletes and fans throughout the years, and it continues to be Before boarding his plane, Kennedy found out that Martin Luther King, Jr. had been shot in Memphis, Tennessee. Gehrig played in the same era with greats like Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio. 7 (2002): 347. Rhetorical Analysis Of Lou Gehrig's Farewell To Baseball June 19th, 1939 one of the New York Yankees and baseball's most famous first baseman, Lou Gehrig, was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis after six days of extensive testing. the appeal to emotion. I always knew that as long as I was following Babe to the plate I could have gone up there and stood on my head. Today, it is believed that the Farewell Address is a prophetic warning for contemporary politics. In order to demonstrate his gratitude, Lou Gehrig uses a humble tone with a strong appeal towards logos. to retire, and gratitude for the support and love that he had received from his fans and loved ones. The mans name is legendary Jackie Robinson. The cause of this disease is unknown and it is still considered incurable today. The humbleness of the man on the podium shocks the crowd and begins to bring the spectators to tears. The main rhetorical element that Gehrig utilizes throughout his speech is pathos. Gehrig had been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS. As he is orally speaking to many insprired fans, he repeatedly uses the phrase, "Sure I am lucky." His mother, Christina, worked tirelessly, cooking, cleaning houses, and taking in laundry to make ends meet. One of the key rhetorical devices that Gehrig uses in his Farewell Speech is pathos, or Rhetorical Analysis Unit with Sticky Notes, Ethos, Pathos, Logos: Understanding Rhetorical Appeals, 50 Argumentative Essay Prompts for Secondary ELA, My Favorite Speeches for Rhetorical Analysis, 15 of the Best Questions for Teaching Literary Analysis. The thought of losing that person can really strike a chord and overall creates pathos. Football Increases The Risk For Lou Gehrigs Disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. We use cookies to give you the best experience possible. All rights reserved. He went further into stating that no one can judge effort nor see it displayed on film because everyday people have to bring it. In case you can't find a relevant example, our professional writers are ready Also, the builder of baseballs greatest empire, Ed Barrow? Cross), The Methodology of the Social Sciences (Max Weber), Give Me Liberty! Are you getting the free resources, updates, and special offers we send out every week in our teacher newsletter? his enduring spirit. meaning in the face of adversity. People across the nation looked up to this man, before his Luckiest Man speech, because they wanted to possess similar qualities as him. Gehrig showed the world how strong willed and fearless a person can be in the face of adversity. Add highlights, virtual manipulatives, and more. This day was to honor is career and accomplishments both on and off the field. forced him to retire from baseball. Web. I have never heard of anyone analyze the speech like that before. Washington believed that the nation should remain bipartisan and neutral, and understand the, The biggest part of Gehrig's speech is pathos, or the emotional part of his speech. $3.00. Besides the use of pathos, King uses repetition to enhance the effectiveness of his argument. Its message of gratitude, 8 (2011): 8. admiration in the audience. He said, The credibility, or ethos, of Gehrig's speech was already there before he ever started the speech. Gehrigs word choice has a large impact. President Eisenhower, in his address to the country, more specifically the people of Arkansas, discusses the inevitable situation involving racial segregation occurring in Arkansas. Lou Gehrig is considered one of the most under-rated sports players of all time. The conclusion to this astonishing speech is only one sentence. Pre-made digital activities. Abel, Ernest I. Gehrig's Farewell Speech also contains an appeal to ethos, or the appeal to the Expert Help. It was quite some journey for Jackie and he managed to live quite the impactful life (Purvis 366). The fist technique that Lou Gehrig uses is repitition of key phrases. Throughout the speech, he conveys his emotions and the ones his fans are portraying towards him. He explains that it would be the highlight of any career just to spend a day with these men, yet he has been lucky enough to play with them throughout his career. At the time of the speech Gehrig held one MLB record, Gehrig had played in 2,130 consecutive baseball games, quite possibly the most honorable MLB record. The purpose of his farewell speech was to formally address his fans all over the world, and confirm the rumors that Gehrig would never play baseball again. One can almost consider it ironic that Lou contracted this disease. As Gehrig reached High School he was not playing the sport that he will eventually become one of the greatest to ever play. A man who had played baseball all his life had been told that he will slowly start to die within the next few years. The Presidents loss of emotions creates an assuring tone that, Rhetorical Analysis Of Lou Gehrig's Speech, Imagine how devastating it would be to be unable to play the sport you love because of an illness. It showed people all throughout America that even when someone is going through something devastating, there are still a lot of things to remember to be thankful for. Over the course of Gehrig's career in professional baseball he made quite a name for himself, he gained a reputation as a dependable player who could produce big numbers for his team. TPT empowers educators to teach at their best. Lou Gehrig's "Farewell Speech" - A Rhetorical Analysis Download Recommended for you 4 American Dream Essay- Education College Writing I 85% (20) 1 Blaxicans - Grade: A- A Mexican Ruling By Richard Rodriguez College Writing I 81% (32) 2 Homework #6 - Grade: A College Writing I 100% (2) 4 Homeless LGBT Youth - Grade: A College Writing I 100% (2) 1 I'm not a headline guy. Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition. This is a very interesting speech because it creates a surprising contrast between apparent situation and Lou Gehrigs own thoughts. Copyright 2023 IPL.org All rights reserved. Diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Lou Gehrig (Under the yankees baseball organization) continued on to deliver one of the most famous speeches in sports history, and aimed himself towards his fans and family. He went to college at Columbia on a . Pharapreising and interpretation due to major educational standards released by a particular educational institution as well as tailored to your educational institution if different; Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrigs disease, is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. accomplishments on the baseball field. Eisenhowers purpose is to convey to the country that he will fight to preserve the decision that the Supreme Court came to on racial segregation. American Rhetoric: Lou Gehrig Farewell to Baseball Address. The speech Kennedy gave was crucial in the maintenance of peace in tragic times. Imagine a young boy and his father going to the New York Yankees ballpark on a warm sunny day. I say that because he used that to capture the audience's attention. I am dying soon, and I am choosing to have fun today, tomorrow, and every other day I have left. Lou Gehrig's "Farewell Speech" - A Rhetorical Analysis, Tarek Z. Ageeb The speaker that I have chosen for my G.A.S review would be Lou Gehrigs farewell address for the baseball committee. Gehrig uses logos when he speaks about the disease that These struggles cause full time assistance and usual doctor visits. The Gettysburg Address Rhetorical Analysis Activity Packet, I Have a Dream Close Read and Rhetorical Analysis, September 11 Address to the Nation Sampler, September 11 Address to the Nation Rhetorical Analysis Unit. Gehrig was stricken with ALS, a disease that causes the muscles to atrophy or essentially become inoperable. American Surgeon 67. Although when one thinks of pathos they generally imagine a persuasive speech. From helping these people Hank received many awards. While his diction is less than sophisticated, Lou makes up the loss through his down through a strong concession refutation, a structure that makes up the entirety of his speech. com/speeches/lougehrigfarewelltobaseball. Lou Gehrigs amazing professional baseball career was ended short by this horrific disease. Harvard Mental Health Letter 27. (2017, Feb 01). The main point of the speech was for people to remember the great legacy he had and his life.