Ive been making this for years, and make this at least once a week! This was a great recipe! Oh boy! We wont be buying flatbread at the store any longer. So, I am trying to put these in a Tupperware container to take to a potluck, but I keep breaking off a piece to eat! Goes great with the bratwurst for our German themed dinner. I didnt even brush olive oil onto the top. just a few pieces left. This is my first time making any type of flatbread, so Im pretty happy with the result (and somewhat impressed with myself). how do you think it would be on the grill. Love them This recipe is delicious! This is definitely getting bookmarked and tried out next week (after I go to the grocery store again). Thats a beautiful looking flatbread! I must be part hobbit, because good food makes everything better. : ). Thanks again, Deb! And I agree with everyone who has said, just add cheese and a bottle of wine! thanks for putting this up! 37 Best Jason's Deli Copycat Recipes ideas - Pinterest I figured it out by looking at the recipe on Epicurious. That was, um, a very good idea. This recipe is a going to be a regular in our house. I am such a rosemary junkie, I think I have to try it it seems so completely approachable. Sprinkle with sea salt. A made another batch of the feta salsa (kept it pure this time) and followed the link to the flatbread. Thanks for the recipe my family gobbled it up in seconds! I promised the family homemade pizza last night, but didnt realize I was out of yeast, and I didnt want to go back to the store. Happy Cooking! So easy to make! Thank you Deb for taking the time to respond. Any idea if I can freeze them? I love these! You say to heat up one and then oil another? Any thoughts on this? Perfect. Jason's Deli 3 Seed & Sea Salt Flatbread Cracker. I love your version! i have a beach house come on over we will make a batch. Grilled, 100% antibiotic-free chicken breast, sliced avocado, lemon crema, chipotle aioli, jalapeno pepper jack, pickled red onions on a traditional Mexican-style roll. I doubled the recipe, and had to put three in the oven at once so we wouldnt be late, and I ran out of olive oil at 1/2 cup and had to fill up the last sixth with vegetable oil, and I didnt have time to push in little sprigs, and I ran out of parchment paper on bread four, so had to reuse a few, and the papers were singed and my kitchen smelled of smoke BUT THE FLATBREAD WAS AMAZING! They were so ridiculously easy and fast to make I whipped up a batch with rosemary, which is in the oven as I type. Very easy and very good. Just made these and they are delicious, thank you so much for sharing! It would be the perfect base for fresh Lettuce Salads with vegies and a vinegar/oil dressing !! I have amazing flatbread on my counter to prove it! Those among us that have actually tried the recipes share their experiences. I just whipped these beautiful flatbreads out in about 15 minutes. I made this and didnt love it, sorry :-(. Served with blue corn chips and salsa. I just made a batchsent the picture to my bf who (loves all things bread-like and with rosemary on them). Im tempted to make them pull duty as sandwich slices, maybe on either side of fresh vegetables and herbed greek yogurt . I made this today. Or parma. My turn to bring the letter snack to preschool this week. Second batch was *perfect*. this is getting made, tonight, to go along with that end of summer bounty thats been piling up in my vegetable crisper- diced cucumber, radish, carrot, cherry tomtoes and feta, all tossed with plenty of scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. I had some mashed roasted garlic in the fridge and mixed about a tablespoon of that into the dough. I made these this weekend with tarragon and chopped, rosted, sweet onion. Thanks for commenting! I can sometimes squeeze 6 small flatbreads on a half-sheet pan; sometimes I need to bake 1 to 2 in a second batch. Very fun! They are phenomenal and impressed the heck out of everyone. Im here grabbing the url again to send to a friend I just shared some with at lunch. Privacy Policy. Deb, I tried to make the rosemary gruyere sea salt crisps but the dough was far too dry to hold together. (Fresh bread for everyone else, so the gf friend needs something lovely too). And it never gets the credit that it deserves. I made them the night before and although they were kept in a Ziploc they lost a little bit of their crispness. So easy with great results! These are so tasty and easy and Im thanking you dearly for the break from saltines! Its possible to find pareve (non-dairy/non-meat) dough in the Kosher frozen food section or at a Kosher butcher or grocery store. I made this morning and they are lovely. I might use a little bit less olive oil next time. They are a big hit for a wine-time snack! Im following the recipe but I get into a bit of trouble when I roll them out. Glad to have found this quick and versatile recipe. Needed crackers for appetizers and did not want to deal with grocery store traffic on Christmas Eve, this is easy and tasty! I am visiting at least three bakeries every weekend trying to find rosemary bread, as it is simply my favorite! You know? Kept really well in a sealed container throughout the week. I cant wait to try more toppings, maybe flax/sesame seeds? Akin to homemade cheese-its but glorious. The technique is fascinating. Served with chips or baked chips (150/100 cal) and a pickle (5 cal). I have not made any other since I discovered your flatbreadNo needAll my friends swoon when I say I am bringing flatbreadIf they only knew how easy, they would make it themselves!!! And I can see I am not the only one. Love this recipe (my sister also says it is her favorite cracker) and I love making it. Also, it needs a sprinkle of salt before baking, which the recipe says but I omitted and I shouldnt have. I made this for the first time today, and the flavor is delish!! This looks yummy. I plan to stop by the market to get an assortment of cheeses. Oh my goodness. Flatbread? Delicious! 2. This is totally going into my favorite recipes file! It was great for an appetizer and inspired me to make up some new toppings. When I realized just how fast I would run out of fresh ingredients it had the potential to be pretty dispiriting, so I decided that rather than lament what I couldnt have, Id challenge myself to use up the contents of my fridge, freezer and pantry as creatively as possible so I could delay going shopping again as long as possible. Made it as written and loved it! I may have gobbled it all up by tonight, it is so wonderful together, Thanks a lot for adding the weights, too, it makes it a lot easier for me *heart*. Grilled, 100% antibiotic-free chicken breast, sliced avocado, lemon crema, chipotle aioli, jalapeno pepper jack, pickled red onions on a traditional Mexican-style roll. It does sound delicious. Avocado Toast. Fantastic with goat cheese. Ill be checking here daily! I did this to keep the garlic and herb flavors from getting residue on my rolling pin since I dont wash my pin. just made this recipe. I tried it with some sardines, and also a chunky fire-roasted tomato and zucchini dipohhh Heaven. I just finished baking the first one and I just had to come rush back to say thank you for sharing this! Ive made it twice since then.. Oh yeahlove the blog! I skimmed it mostly; I havent had time to go through and see if theres even anything I could add to the conversation, as he covered the topic so well. Its the only sea salt I have in the pantry right now and I like the way black salt looks on light food. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. If anyone out there is debating over this one, definitely go for it! A little late to the party; Ive made this several times and its great. Love it. For my first time, it turned out great. Theres something intoxicating about the smell of freshly baked pastry. No need to heat the tray I mean, you can, but I didnt find any great benefit to it here. Roll it out again! I am serving them with cheese, and a wine infused chicken, the recipe of which is found at http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com/2010/05/wine-infused-beer-can-chicken.html. still came out fantastic. You know, I really love a good flatbread. MMM, looks delicious. I bet these would be good to make quick flatbread goat cheese pizzas. I have a bunch of pizza and dough recipes here, if youre looking for inspiration. 35 gr. Super good! Thanks for this recipe! Im going to attempt to make it tonight for a potluck. Any ideas on dip or ac compliments to the bread? Really eye-opening and inspiring. I made a double batch and cooked them directly on a stone. Had friends call and say they were in the neighborhood, so they stopped by for a quick hello in our backyard (6 feet apart with masks and gloves lol!). I saw this recipe and just had to make the rosemary flatbread. Also, made smaller and cooked in a cast iron skillet (too hot to use oven here, today!) I would have cooked them longer but the edges were already quite brown. sturdy round crackers , i.e. Had a go with this flatbread yesterday evening, a double batch straight on, solely from whole wheat flour and with oregano instead of rosemary (not the season here). Does anyone have suggestions for something to pair this with? As Jane M commented above, I made the flat bread last night after checking in to read the blog and it was simple, quick and DEElicious! As much as I bake I have never thought to make it myself!! Made it with part whole-wheat flour still yummy! Just made this for dinner tonight to go with a braised chicken dish that had leeks and canned artichokes in the bright sauce. Great way to use up all of this weeks CSA rosemary! Thank you for sharing a great recipe! 1064 route de Bayonne | D 810, 40230 Benesse-Maremne, France. I love flatbreads with salads. I put each piece through my pasta machine on #6 and then lay the pieces out on parchment on a pizza peel. I tried this a couple days ago. More cracker than bread, this stuff is dreamy. Thank you. Along with the rosemary, I also added some black pepper. Half of them I sprinkled parm cheese and the other half I made exactly as written. See more ideas about jasons deli, recipes, copycat recipes. But in a word: dont! Nothing makes him leave the lab early. Served with chips or baked chips (150/100 cal) and a pickle (5 cal). Jason's Deli - Raleigh-Spring Forest - Raleigh, NC Ive challenged myself this season to *finally* start making some of these recipes I see and get inspired by. The one thing I would change next time is reducing the amount of table salt. Are two trays being used here.? Any ideas on how to amend recipe to become what I am looking for? It was so easy and so FAST, and so tasty too. It was crisp throughout and nicely flakey. Ive never made lavash before. Oh my god! Im making some tomorrow! These look delicious and shockingly easy! Very good, and just as easy as you said! Would be fun during the holidays to cut into shapes, that is, if you can. They baked really fast, even faster than 8 minutes when really thin. Hey Deb! Havent tasted the other two yet, but what an easy dinner! fantastic flaky crackers. I fit mine one one, barely, but you might need two. I automatically go to hummus or a bean salad, but this could be fun. I discovered your website this morning, tackled the homemade marshmallows earlier today, started the dough for graham crackers, and was hungry/bored at about 11:00 tonight, so decided to see what other yummy recipes were on your site, and found the flatbread recipe by clicking Surprise Me a couple times Im eating it now lol! Thanks for all the inspiration! Good with soups and salads and also as a cracker for cheese and tomato or just butter and a glass of wine! These were very easy to make and totally recommended! How does one make the rosemary actually stick in the dough without all falling off the second you break it up? Marilyn. Thanks! Not having parchment paper OR a heavy-duty baking sheet, I instead cooked these in cast iron skillets. Truly, its a small complaint because it is disappearing rapidlygotta run to get my share :). Fantastic! I loved them on day one, and loved them even more on days two and three, when I popped them in the toaster to freshen them up. :). I may play around with it more, but this was a bit of a miss for me. And then let me know your results! But to start, lets talk about this recipe, something I think everyone in the entire world should have in their repertoire: Flatbread. I make this recipe now about once a month and always as one of my apps if guests come over. Maybe adding cinnamon & sugar, instead of salt + rosemary, will make for a good sweet alternative of this incredible recipe!!! I did follow recipe exactly. Yum!!!!!! They were so good! I should have increased the salt a bit too. Boyfriend and I gobbled it up. Saving up big time for the Maine house overlook the ocean, where it is nice and cool. i did have to be careful to really roll it out as thin as possible but even though the first one was thicker it was still good. I was just out in the garden, frankly a little POd that EVERYTHING I PLANTED SUCKS, except for the lovely rosemary and a little basil. ], It took me until I was on some interminable wait on the phone last week with hold music so awful, they had to have done it on purpose, to finally get to flipping through the July 2008 Gourmet magazine. I also was a little short on the fresh rosemary so I added some fresh oregano too and it was a good choice. Ill add this to my collection of take to work or share with friends recipes. Shes eating it now! Do you know how similar this recipe is to knish dough? Thanks for sharing. Just an fyi from Canada. Love, love, love this recipe! Lastly, for easier blending, use slightly warm water, and mix it and the olive oil together before pouring it in. I just tried this recipe, and wow, it really is simple and delicious. 10 Things You Should Know Before Eating at Jason's Deli My Pinterest board is full of your recipes! I havent frozen them but dont see why they wouldnt freeze okay. I have been trying to find a recipe for lavash and none of them seem right. jasons deli flatbread crackers recipe My favorite so far has been substituting italian seasoning for rosemary. Any thoughts on putting toppings on this and making it pizza like? I had to use just a little more water, but other than that All Fine! It took no time at all and was the perfect accompaniment to my dinner. I used black salt to top mine. They cook really quickly on the grill. Made these with 1cp ap flour and 3/4cp bobs low carb whole grain flour ( thats what was at my bodega in this time of insanity). I put a lot more rosemary on it and next time I think I will try to knead it with other spices and then put it into the oven. Always love your words (and unflagging sense of gentle humour) about food, life, and the universe! Ill have to give it a try thanks! Crispy and flakey, yet incredibly fast and easy to make. Absolutely delicious and too easy to be true! Ive made these twice now and they are AMAZING! I just have to say that one of the *other* things I love about your posts (BESIDES the wonderful recipes, which I love) is all the people, from all over the world, who comment and give ideas and variations!! They all tasted great. Note: You can watch an Instagram demo of this recipe here. Grilled, 100% antibiotic-free chicken breast, sliced avocado, lemon crema, chipotle aioli, jalapeno pepper jack, pickled red onions on a traditional Mexican-style roll. I dont know what that dinner will be, but it will go with flatbread no matter what, because this sounds so yummy and easy. Thanks for another great recipe. I brought them yesterday as an appetizer for Thanksgiving and served them with a goat cheese spread. Are you serious!? Made this tonight and it turned out great. This has just qualified as a staple in my kitchen. I would give this 6 out of 5 stars. p.s. This is so easy and delicious, cant wait to make it again! 26.9 km from tTok | iF. Was it browned when you took it out? I just made these and they came out delicious! I did 1 C WW pastry flour, 3/4 C all-purpose, worked great! I have old friends visiting tomorrow and I hope to whip up some yummy flatbreads before they arrive. Ive made this at least 10 times in the past 6 weeks since I discovered it. But shes cute! Just wanted to say thanks so much for this recipe. I want you to know that Bee @ deux dilettantes really did serve this to me and it was wonderful. Could I make this with fresh ground whole wheat flour? I made a double batch last fall, baked up half the rounds for a baby shower, then came home and baked up the second half for myself! I bet you could use King Arthurs White Whole Wheat flour in these entirely. Ive made it a bunch of times now. i think well be making this very often. And super easy to make, too! Served with blue corn chips and salsa. You are right, the results are perfect. Thanks for posting this. Thank you! I think youre going to have quite a few new fans, Deb! it will be perfect. Although I found these flatbreads to be very yummy, I also thought they were very dry. It was great! I just made this recipe, in just half an hour from an empty counter to awesome bread, and it is so unbelievably GOOD!! Id bake it again but I managed to set off our WAAAY too sensitive fire alarm so I am a little nervous about that they werent even burning and only mildly browned! Could I make these with non-gluten flour mixes like: rice flour + quinoa flour + sorghum flour + tapioca flour + xanthin gum? I used 100% freshly milled wheat, a mixture of both soft white and hard red. (Whole wheat pastry flour is usually a great substitute for all-purpose flour in almost any recipe. Thanks for sharing!! Thank you for sharing. I do like the rosemary, but my hubby isnt a huge fan, so I might try oregano or some type of seeds next time. I love rosemary and I am addicted to Gourmet mag but have been away a lot and not cooking for various reasons. I really love it. Does it have to be parchment paper? Served up with cilantro and jalapeno hummus. What an absolutely wonderful and simple recipe. Served with blue corn chips and salsa. So thank you for the simple recipes and pumping up the courage with success at the excellent spelt everything crackers. My housemates loved it. Hmmm, I think this goes perfectly with what were having for dinner tonight. For the next batch will use for pizza, thanks so much for sharing. Thank you for checking. And so easy! We made this last night but substituted Indian spices for the rosemary. This inspires me. I am going to a Cheese Club. each). Divide dough into 3 large or 6 smaller pieces and roll out one piece at a time on an unfloured counter, to about 10-inch (for larger pieces of dough) or 7-inch rounds (smaller pieces) shape can be rustic; dough should be thin. Anxious to make again tomorrow. I appreciate the recipe, but gf isnt great. The dough, though, makes it a bit difficult: it was kind of shrinking and tearing apart when rolled probably because the flour is really whole grain, so I added some water after the first rounds and it was better, but in the end, the shape didnt matter. I added a little dried basil as well, and was happy with it. Served with a cup of au jus. The first cracker I made really did turn out more like a flatbread didnt roll it out as thinly as I shouldve and while my husband preferred the later crispier versions (especially for scooping up baked feta with tomatoes), I think that first one might work as a substitute for pizza dough when I make the leek-corn-chard topping tomorrow. I just made these, with 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour. I am thrilled to have just tried this exquisite recipe!!! People always love to help themselves, dont we? The dough wont fight the rolling pin if it gets a chance to chill out. Turned out perfect using a pizza stone and no parchment paper. Lift flatbread onto prepared baking sheet. Maybe I didnt roll it thin enough. Quite good. We loved it with our beef stew. Can you make this with whole wheat or white whole wheat flour? He suggests ways you can use schmaltz instead of oil in the dough (or, I bet, cut in butter). I found this recipe after trying some delicious commercial (small bakery) rosemary flatbread. Im going to go buy this magazine the moment I get off work flatbreads with dinner tonight! I used thyme as thats all I had on hand. Or what else can I do? I made these the day before yesterday. Thanks for a keeper! The rosemary is running rampant in my garden right now, and Im desperately looking for ways to use it up. I brought it to a family gathering and it disappeared in literally 15 minutes the whole batch! Im already regretting not making a double batch. Perhaps I didnt roll my pieces out thin enough, but I felt that this lacked flavor the texture was somewhat off it wasnt doughy enough for a lavash or true flatbread, but it wasnt crisp enough as a cracker. These are great. Have a batch in the oven right now and cant wait to make more! I topped them with salt and black sesame seeds. I love your site! Perfect!! (ingredients vary yeast, milk, butter). This comes pretty darn close. Got all of them on at the same time. Im going to try dill and basil (pesto?) Dear Brooklynbee. They translate to whole wheat quite well! Sounds delicious! Woke up this morning wondering why I stupidly didnt save myself even a small piece and just got finished making a batch all for myself. I am making these right now. I could control the crispiness when doing on the stovetop. Like Amy, I used white whole wheat flour and it was delicious. Its funny, because I was just wondering this weekend if there are any recipes out there for crackers. :). She will not shut up about that zaatar. Thanks for sharing Deb! But it was so quick and easytonight:-). Help? Thanks from a lazy baker. First published August 22, 2008 on smittenkitchen.com |, You can watch an Instagram demo of this recipe here, http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Olive-Oil-Tortas, http://foodanddo.lindsaybeeson.com/2011/10/08/day-18-of-101-chipping-away-at-my-fifty-recipes/, http://prouditaliancook.blogspot.com/2010/05/wine-infused-beer-can-chicken.html, an entire drool-worthy series about knishes, 1 3/4 cups (230 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary plus 2 (6-inch) sprigs (optional), 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil plus more for brushing. Ill get right on that. :). Required fields are marked *. I would enjoy hearing about successes and failures I find it would contribute to the collective Smitten Borg Mentality. I also added some grated parmesan, cracked black pepper, and slivered basil leaves on top and it came out wonderful. Nice and light and simply wonderful. They just werent quite crispy enough for me a bit bendy in the centers. Made with herbs de provence and cut up into cracker shapes pre-baking. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with olive oil. The only thing I could think is that because Im in Florida, the humidity here means that I need to reduce the amount of water. Substituting honey for olive oil and putting in about a 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds and then sprinkling cinnamon sugar on top is awesome, too (if youre feeling adventurous; it tastes like a not-so-sweet cookie). So just a little confused about the baking pan do you use two? True story with our first two births, this is what we had for dinner the night before, mere hours before labor began. I made this for the moms in my playgroup and it went over very well, especially with the vegan mom. I made these yesterday to bring to a family dinner to go along with smoked trout pate. and finding bread alternatives for the carb lover that I am is very hard especially things I can bake at home. EVERYONE raves on it. Time to get the second one out of the oven! A heartier flour or more dry climate could affect it though. I baked mine on a standard cookie sheet and did not need parchment paper. This recipe makes even better flatbread! I also think it could be a great hostess gift, for all of you angling for invites to beach houses this Labor Day weekend. It was wonderful. I just made this flatbread and its awesome! Ive made it lots of times just as it is written, but made it again today, subbing corn meal for about 1/3 of the flour to make a heartier, more corn-chip like cracker. And he in fact ordered me dinner due to the fact that I found it for him lol. Some things you can try: with herbs, try fresh basil, parsley, or oregano; with the flour, switch out half for oat or chickpea flour; with the baking powder, try two teaspoons and 400 when you want a softer bread. What do you recommend? I added a lemon tahini sauce on top of each flatbread and then topped them with olives, onion, and mushroom and it made a very tasty elegant pizza. Cheese? I have had this recipe bookmarked for a long time and finally made it today. Though I may do different herbs, since I have a sneaking suspicion that I dont have any rosemary. They usually last about, oh, a day. Do you think you can cook all of the breads at once, instead of one at a time? Recipe really does seem to be a good base for most flavors. Super easy, super delicious although thanks to the twins I forgot to add salt to the first batch. Show Prices. I mill my own, so the texture is much different than whole wheat thats been sitting on the shelf. I made these with Zaatar and they turned out great! Its so good I ate the whole first cracker when it came out of the oven and realized I needed to make a second batch. I have one baking in the oven right now. I had no idea it is so easy to make! I love the richness of the color and thickness of the glass. Avocado Toast. They are dead simple and absolutely delightful. This dough was perfect, we cooked it until very lightly browned, then added our toppings, then put it back in the oven. Ooo, this reminds me of the homemade herb crackers I made awhile back. I tried this with 100% whole wheat flour, you know to feel less guilty about eating the whole thing! Dchetteries et ramassage d'encombrants Ustaritz and it was DELISH! Thank you, Well. And unlike most college kids, ramen and Easy Mac arent on the shopping list. Keep up the great work! I recommend making Paula Wolferts hummus recipe to dip the flatbreads. Roll it out part of the way, let it relax more. Easy, versatile, and very yummy. Too bad I cant use the two of them together. I am making this tonight to take to Sunday dinner. I love fresh rosemary! I added about a tablespoon of extra oil (used EVOO) and skipped the rosemary but topped with a middle eastern blend of spices called Zatar. Thanks for sharing! Since Ive started making these, I almsot never buy crackers at the store. I make these at least once a week. I would eat it all! Husband liked it too and of course, started thinking of variations for it! I love, love, love this recipe (and so does anybody who tries it). Its great to have those who have gone before! With this recipe being half oil you shouldnt need anything. An outstanding share!