Hes lying! The blessing made manifest. That leads me to ask, Does the world see God in your everyday life?. None ever waited in vain. Ishmael's marriage, but most probably to the former. The most comprehensive longitudinal study in history is a research project called the Grant Study. I. His circumcision (Genesis 22:4)_ shava) in this pericope (23, 24, 31, 31). 17 The Angel comforteth her. Genesis 21:34 Commentaries: And Abraham sojourned in the land of the 34 Each of the following people made several hugesacrifices to achieve world change, and obey their conscience. I. He wasnt perfect, but he had reality with God and Gods gracious hand was on him. had once laughed through unbelief; now being ashamed of that, she Thus, Beersheba can mean, well of oath, or well of seven. So, outside of the name, Beersheba, the word shava occurs three times and the word sheva occurs three times in this passage. Because of that fear, before they left Haran, he and Sarah had worked out a deceptive scheme to pawn her off as his sister (20:13). Around the mouth of the well is a circular course of masonry, topped by a circular parapet of about a foot high; and at a distance of ten or twelve feet are stone troughs placed in a concentric circle with the well, the sides of which have deep indentions made by the wear of ropes on the upper edges The second well, about 200 yards farther south, is not more than five feet in diameter, but is formed of equally good masonry, and furnishes equally good water". So that place was called Beersheba,because the two men swore an oath there. The league is proposed by Abimelech, and Phichol his prime-minister of state and general of his army. Good men should do all they can to make others so. 22-34 Abimelech felt sure that the promises of God would be fulfilled to Abraham. all-commanding. Genesis 21:34 - Bible Hub He was just living the ordinary, hum-drum, day-to-day existence of a nomad with his flocks and herds. 4 He is circumcised. So if Abimelek gives the well back to Abraham, Abimeleks servants might react, You believe that foreigner over us? fear 14. Abimelech and Phichol. Lesson 44: Faithful God of the Ordinary (Genesis 21:22-34) NOR WITH MY SON, NOR WITH MY SONS SON.] genesis-21:22-34 - Bible Commentaries Yet in spite of Abrahams sins and insensitivity, Abimelech here seeks him out because he recognized God in Abrahams life! What makes us happy? Theyre people who live rather ordinary lives, except for one significant fact--their lives count for eternity because they are used by God to help fulfill His purpose. For these promises to be fulfilled, God had to provide Abraham with a son, which He did in an extraordinary way in the birth of Isaac. 3 Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore him, Isaac. Wells of water are scarce and . I like this. This passage raises three questions relevant for believers today: Application: Seven lambs sealed the covenant between Abraham and Abimelech, but it was one spotless lamb named Jesus who forever sealed Gods covenant with His people. Now, without Abrahams initiative or schemes, Abimelech comes and proposes this peace agreement, so that Abraham receives from God what he previously had tried to get through his deceptive scheme. And Abraham replies, These seven lambs are a witness that I dug the well that your servants seized. But it is significant that Gods blessing on Abraham is evident even to this pagan king, Abimelech, who tells Abraham, God is with you in all that you do (21:22). In this section THE FOLLOWING COMMENTARY COVERS CHAPTER S 20 AND 21. Show to me and my country the same kindness Ive shown you. Genesis 21 Commentary Birth of Isaac (21:1-21) When Isaac was born, Abraham circumcised him as commanded. The days spent in Philistia left behind them some enlightenment. (Haydock)_ And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to 8. Abraham. EXPOSITION. 2 And Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age at the time of which God had spoken to him. Most of Gods people have been simple, ordinary folks who are not famous or politically powerful. 3. Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible - The Birth of Isaac 7. 'Do not do anything to him. And yet he was used in Gods great purpose of blessing the nations through Abrahams seed, the Lord Jesus Christ. 21:25-26 Interrupting the covenant-making ceremony, Abraham airs a grievance that he has with Abimelech related to Abimelechs servants taking possession of a well that Abraham previously dug. Are we cheerful and pleasant, even when were mistreated, or do we grumble and complain like everyone else? Each time, the young man, who was retarded and knew only this one verse, responded simply by quoting John 3:16. Another highlight of this passage is the explanation for the origin of the name Beersheba. And it came to pass at that time,possibly in immediate sequence to the incident of the preceding chapter, but, "according to the common law of Hebrew narrative, probably not long after the birth of Isaac."(Murphy)that Abimelechthe king of Gerar (Genesis 20:2; Genesis 26:1, Genesis 26:16)and Phi-cholif the name be Shemitic, "mouth of all," i.e . So we never bear witness for Jesus Christ, which is precisely what Satan wants. 4. I. - Genesis 21:22-23 Review After waiting years, God blessed Abraham and Sarah with their promised baby, Isaac. _God is with thee in all tha 1 Isaac is borne. 1. and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken (Genesis 21:1). Abraham a sojourner in that land, afterwards the troubler of Israel; for his sake as discipline, for their sakes as opportunity. You, our leader and master, have pulled the rug out from under us! We have had in fine the judgment of 22._And it came to pass at that time_. 23 Now therefore, swear[ a] to me by God that you will not deal falsely with me, with my offspring, or with my posterity; but that according to the kindness that I have done to you, you will do No doubt, the king remembered their previous encounter when Abraham dealt falsely with him. L. M. Grant's Commentary on the Bible - Genesis 26:1-35. 21:32-34 A place to call on the name of the Lord. We have had in fine the judgment of 22._And it came to pass at that time_. Phichol.] Newly released book by Kurt Bennett, now available onAmazon! Read Genesis 21:22-34 Ripped Off Abimelek the king of Gerar and his top general Phicol approach Abraham and say to him, We recognize that God is with you in everything you do. Plus, if you add the three times shava is used and the three times sheva is used with the use of Beersheba that makes a total of seven times the words are used. The tree sealed the site of the oath. What does Genesis chapter 21 mean? | BibleRef.com You dont need a theological education to bear witness by your walk with God. However, see 26:17-33, where Isaac also has a dispute with Abimelech (likely not the same person) over wells and makes a treaty with him. a. olam) as a name for the Lord, This is the word used on the covenant with Abraham (13:15; 17: 7, 8, 13, 19). And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves? Abraham uses the occasion to complain to Abimelech about a well which his men have taken from Abrahams servants. "Blessed are the peace-makers," and "beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that publisheth peace.". And Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock by themselves (designing by another covenant to secure himself against future invasion of Isis rights). He put a loaf of bread on the other side of the scale, and to his surprise, nothing happened. (Kindle,hardcover, andpaperbacknow available on Amazon. V2 So Sarah became *pregnant. Only before concluding the agreement there was a matter of a more personal character that required settlement. What for you is the most threatening aspect about telling someone about Christ. The covenanting parties. But He doesnt just provide for our needs so that we can live comfy lives for our own happiness. Contests for wells "are now very common all over the country, but more especially in the southern deserts". Maybe youre sinking into sudden depression, because youre thinking, Im not perfect! Stay tuned: (2) For the world to see God in our lives we dont have to be perfect. V1 The *Lord had promised that he would visit Sarah. Genesis 21:22-34 | Preaching Source You many Read Genesis 21:22-34 here: Bible Gateway. Genesis 21:22 - Verse-by-Verse Bible Commentary - StudyLight.org This is the first use of everlasting (Hb. Genesis 21:22-34 In-Context 20 God was with the lad, and he grew; and he lived in the wilderness and became an archer . I read about a successful man who was on a business trip. 5. Genesis 21:22. He wasnt a TV evangelist. fruit of patient waiting upon God. Abraham called on the name of the Lord. And as a result things turned ugly. This, however, was an error, which shows. 22 At that time Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his army said to Abraham, "God is with you in all that you do. Sarah's demand GENESIS 12:1 TO GENESIS 25:18. Observing what he had done, and not knowing the design of it: what mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves ? I. 15. There he planted a grove for a shade to his tent, or perhaps an orchard of fruit-trees; and there, though we cannot say he settled, for God would have him, while he lived, to be a stranger and a pilgrim, yet he sojourned many days, as many as would consist with his character, as Abraham the Hebrew, or passenger. What modern monarchs mostly desire at the close of exhausting campaigns is here sought before campaigns begin. DISMISSAL OF HAGAR AND ISHMAEL. Genesis 21:22-34 New International Version The Treaty at Beersheba 22 At that time Abimelek and Phicol the commander of his forces said to Abraham, "God is with you in everything you do. 1. B.C. Peace enjoyed. Bondwoman and her son cast out. Genesis 21:22 This Thirsty World. chesed) to Abraham. ISAAC IS BORN Abraham set apart seven ewe lambs from the flock,and Abimelek asked Abraham, What is the meaning of these seven ewe lambs you have set apart by themselves?, He replied, Accept these seven lambs from my hand as a witness that I dug this well.. could sing with Mary, My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spi God is with thee in all that thou doest He had to provide protection and give him the land, which He begins to do in a rather ordinary way through this peace agreement. Wells of water are scarce and valuable in eastern countries. . Abraham was the friend of God. CHIEF CAPTAIN OF HIS HOST SPAKE UNTO ABRAHAM, SAYING, GOD IS WITH THEE _mlel_ speak, an ancient and therefore solemn The man whos been thoroughly analyzing these files for the last 44 years is Dr. George Valliant. See also Genesis 21:22-34 in other biblical comments: Adam Clarke Bible Commentary. 1. 15 Hagar in distresse. This is even more significant when you realize that Abraham wasnt doing anything spectacular. Perhaps Abimelech had heard of how God had given Abraham and Sarah a son in their old age. Genesis 12:1-3 sets forth Gods purpose to make of Abraham a great nation, to bless him and make his name great so that he would be the channel of Gods blessing to all the families of the earth. 22. The prince rather complains that Abraham had done him an injustice. _ALUN OWEN_ Abraham at Genesis 21:33. "the well of the oath," (LXX; Gesenius, Furst, Rosenmller), or the well of the seven (Keil), rather than the seven wells (Lange); discovered by Robinson in Bir-es-seba, in the Wady-es-seba, twelve miles to the south of Hebron, with two deep wells of excellent water. Finally he blurted out, Well, thats all it will hold anyway. A believer is invincible until it is his time to go. His circumcision (Genesis 22:4)_ Its Gods job to meet out justice. _mlel_ speak, an ancient and therefore solemn 7. Sarah who at an earlier point had I heard a story about a new police officer who, on his first day on the job, caught someone speeding. In the story of Hagar and Ishmael, we notice: The Covenant Between Abraham and Abimelech NINTH SECTION (1) God fulfills His promise to Abraham and Sarah. Genesis 21:22-34 - Matthew Henry Commentary on the Bible CAME TO PASS AT THAT TIME, &C. Hence it is plain that Abraham had The Treaty at Beersheba, Genesis 21:22-34 | kdmanestreet The LXX. His flight from New York was first delayed and then cancelled, so that he would have missed his meetings. The Lords whole thing boils down to that. In Chapter s 20, 21 we have the question of the heir and of the path you do. Of _Abimelech, _ see GENESIS 20:2. And the Lord visited Sarah, as he had said, and the Lord did unto 9. Of great importance for the scientific data that has been included in the author's exposition. GENESIS 21:23. Wheres the balance between taking measures for our own safety versus trusting God to protect us? Probably an official title. Abimelech and PhicholHere a proof of the promise (Ge 12:2) being fulfilled, in a native prince wishing to form a solemn league with Abraham. Abimelech, that is _Father-King,_ was The alliance was contracted. mercy in Christ the Lord. I wont ask you again!. Abimeleks servants save face. Sometimes when you read the Bible, you get the feeling that God majors in the spectacular. Genesis 21:22. You did not tell me, and I heard about it only today., So Abraham brought sheep and cattle and gave them to Abimelek, and the two men made a treaty. Read Genesis commentary using Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Concise). B.C. Verse Genesis 21:22. Why was one Christian man spared while the other was killed? read more, John Gills Exposition of the Bible Commentary. The things of this world made a channel of higher blessings. Ishmael made fun of the covenant family, as Sarah had feared. In that case Abraham went down to Egypt, whereas Isaac went only as far as Gerar, in the land of the Philistines, but the same place where we read of Abraham denying his relationship with Sarah. Ishmaels expulsion. There he made, not only a constant practice, but an open read more, And it came to pass at that time ,. Not when Ishmael was grown up and married, but when Isaac was weaned and Ishmael was expelled: that Abimelech, and Phichol, the chief captain of his host, spake unto Abraham ; Abimelech was king of Gerar, the same that is spoken of in the preceding chapter, and Phichol was the general of his army; these two great personages came together and paid Abraham a visit, and had some conversation with him, who was still in Gerar, or however in some part of read more, Now therefore swear unto me here by God ,. By the true and living God, by whom only an oath is to be taken, who was Abraham's God, and whom Abimelech seems to have known and to have been a worshipper of; and therefore moves for an oath to be taken by him, which he knew would be sacred and binding to Abraham, could he prevail upon him to swear: that thou wilt not deal falsely with me, nor with my son, nor with my son's son ; perhaps he had heard that God had promised to give the whole read more, And Abraham said, I will swear. It is wise to connect ourselves with those who are blessed of God; and we ought to requite kindness to those who have been kind to us. of his host, spoke to Abraham saying, God is with you in all that of faith in another point of view. Good men should not only rectify the wrongs they do to one another, but adopt all wise precautions against their repetition. Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary - Genesis 21:22-32 We have here an account of the treaty between Abimelech and Abraham, in which appears the accomplishment of that promise (Gen. 12:2) that God would make his name great. So Abimelek took Sarah into his harem. Adaptation of Divine truth to those to whom it is sent. As Abraham is the father of all the faithful, so the It shows how God faithfully provided all that Abraham needed apart from Abrahams schemes. The point is, as God faithfully provides protection and for our daily needs, and as we walk with Him and give Him the credit for His care for us, as Abraham did, He uses us in the ordinary matters of life to bear witness to a world that desperately needs to turn to Him. Even so, as believers, we know that every second of our lives is under the watchful care of the heavenly Father. Hence "the ownership of wells m Palestine was as jealously guarded as the possession of a mine in our own" (Inglis). THAT ABIMELECH, AND PHICHOL, THE CHIEF CAPTAIN OF HIS HOST, SPAKE And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phichol the chief Abimelech, however, was still wary of Abraham and fearful of the God whom Abraham worshipped. Q. Now therefore swear unto me here by Godthe verb to swear is derived from the Hebrew numeral seven, inasmuch as the septennary number was sacred, and oaths were confirmed either by seven sacrifices (Genesis 21:28) or by seven witnesses and pledgesthat thou wilt not deal falsely with me,literally, if thou shalt lie unto me; a common form of oath in Hebrew, in which the other member of the sentence is for emphasis left unexpressed (cf. Abimeleks servants seized the well so Abraham mustered his servants and seized it right back, correct? Peace commemorated. He wouldnt have had much exciting news to report in his monthly fund-raising letter. 21:22 Abimelech recognized the blessing of the Lord on Abraham. And the LORD visited Sarah as He had said, and the LORD did for Sarah as He had spoken. 22 And it came to pass at that time, that Abimelech and Phicol the Arab Ishmael is the father of all our outcasts. Abraham, the one who took his army of 318 men and rescued Lot from the armies of four kings, Abraham goes after the servants of Abimelek and takes them out, right? He did what he Why did the woman have the prayer already written before he asked for it? As already Mature, Aner, and Eshcol had formed a league with the patriarch (vide Genesis 14:13). all that thou doest: Do we work hard or slack off? It is wise to connect ourselves with those who are blessed of God; and we ought to requite kindness to those who have been kind to us. The next thing that happened was that the new cop pulled him through the window, arrested him, and took him down town to HQ. Abraham called on the name of the everlasting God. But what Im saying is that sinlessness isnt the requirement to bear witness for Christ. Seemingly betraying a secret suspicion of the prince's veracity, the act aimed at preventing any recurrence of the grievance, and in this light it appears to have been regarded by Abimelech. Its about your relationship with the person of God and your relationships with other people. Abraham took the occasion of Abimelechs visit to bring up the matter of a well which Abimelechs servants had seized from Abrahams servants. 20 God was with the boy as he grew up. The new name of God bore witness to Gods unchanging faithfulness and to the fact that Abrahams faith was not in Abimelech nor in the treaty between them, but in the eternal God who was his dwelling place. _The Covenant with Abimelech_ (Genesis 21:22-34) So they conclude that Christians are hypocrites, and they fail to see God in our lives. The grocer, who was not a believer, was unmoved by her need. COVENANT BETWEEN 22 Abimelechs couenant with Abraham at Beer-sheba. A.M. 2118. - Genesis 21:22-23 Review After waiting years, God blessed Abraham and Sarah with their promised baby, Isaac. Genesis 21:22-34 . As the years passed, he often wondered if it was just a coincidence. So the treaty is solidified. So Abraham, to demonstrate his commitment to the treaty and to demonstrate his good will toward Abimelek, brings to Abimelek sheep and cattle. The herdsmen of the king had appropriated Abraham's well. Phichol.] CONTENTS: Birth of Isaac. How Jesus didnt love everyone the same (and why you shouldnt either). Abimelek responds, This is the first Ive heard of it. ALL CHRISTIAN PROSPERITY IS CONSCIOUSLY IDENTIFIED WITH GOD. _AT THAT TIME_] This may either refer to the Neither didst thou toll me, neither yet heard I of it, but today. Abimelech was impressed with Abraham's growing prosperity. Genesis 31 Genesis 32 Genesis 33 Genesis 34 Genesis 35 Genesis 36 Genesis 37 Genesis 38 Genesis 39 Genesis 40 Genesis 41 The greatest possible injury of a material kind that could be done to a nomads chief was the all faction of his water supplies. _The birth of Isaac. CONCLUSION: Behind every promise of God is the purpose a Genesis 21:3. has Arab Ishmael is the father of all our outcasts. 6 Sarahs ioy.