Watanabe expressed his hope that Universal would bring back Long Duk Dong's rap in a future release of the film. Similarly, his other film, Gung Ho (1986)earned$36.6millionon the budget of$13 million. George Xavier, Gedde Watanabe, and Trance Thompson (L-R) in "Assassins" at East West Players. Gary started his career as Actor in 1976 when Gary was just 21 Years old. I found an exercise bike upstairs where we were shooting that day and told about John about it. Gedde is also well known as, He portrayed the character of Long Duk Dong in the 1984 film, Sixteen Candles. I am not surprised a lot of us end up on a similar path of this web series, gay life wasnt all flowers like is today, it was more like, me the problematic gay guy vs the world, a world full of rejection, out of any protection, lonely. Youre now part of the adolescence of two generations.Actually, its quite incredible. How to say Gedde watanabe in English? But I was so new to movies I didnt think much about where I was. I then went to the audition in character using my friends accent. Who is Gedde Watanabe: Gedde Watanabe is a famous Movie Actor. trivia, Chang Chen Yi - Golden Ring Awards 1999 (6-18) Duration: 9m 30s. They're creative, thinkers, wanderers, unorganized, high-strung and insecure, and can be anxiety-ridden. The Donger loved everything about America: the fun, the girls, the cars. They are nurturing, supportive, healing, compassionate, and unconditionally loving. [Laughs.] Some of it straight-up disastrous. There have been no articles or birth announcements concerning his having had children. If you any have tips or corrections, please send them our way. I hope they follow this with a series about Senior Gays. Gary "Gedde" Watanabe (born June 26, 1955) is an American actor. When the film came out in 1984, several Asian-American groups condemned the character "as stereotypical, racist and part of a long history of Hollywood's offensive depictions of Asian men". he asks Molly Ringwald's Samantha, eyebrows wiggling suggestively. The Wagner opera returns to the Met for the first time in 17 years. BAD: Gedde Watanabe as Long Duk Dong in 'Sixteen Candles' - Variety In 2008, NPR's Alison MacAdam dug deeper with Watanabe about his role. It would be nice to see a series about gay men my own age. There were very few of us. And I did a lot of singing in piano bars that closed at 4 a.m.. Gedde Watanabe and James Campbell in 'The Disappointments'. I was 28 so could drive, take trips to Chicago, go out on my own. to add information, pictures and relationships, join in discussions and get credit for your contributions. and yes a lot of us figure out a better way to get here w just fewer issues but also a lot of us didnt figure it out on time, or worst just quit when things got harder. Its really been her work getting these celebrations going. Watanabe grew up in Ogden, Utah in a Japanese American family. Required fields are marked *. How Tyrel Jackson Williams Brought TikTok Cringe to, Its sort of a newer version of the L.A. actor ride that Kyle is on the first two seasons, but its worse.. Gedde Watanabe - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia He is a brilliant actor and a fellow theater buff. They are all not in the arts. Probably lots of grandchildren. I was not in the film business. "[1] In addition to being called "Donger", the students were taunted with quotes of the character's lines in poor English such as "Oh, sexy girlfriend. 2022 - Wiki and Biography world. If there is any information missing, we will be updating this page soon. And when so many did, and brought their kids and talked about how much the movie meant to them, I dont know Im humbled and Im grateful. Gedde Watanabe - Ideas Wiki As of 2022, Gedde Watanabe's net worth is $100,000 - $1M. The Sixteen Candles star's first sit-down interview since he was on Merv Griffin's show. he was only 21 Years old when he started his career as Actor, What was Howland Chamberlains marital status? His other credits include Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Armageddon, and Mulan II. he was born on 26 Jun 1955 in Ogden, Utah, United States.Her is nationality American. He practices his conversational English with others, has his hair parted down the middle as an uncool style, is mystified by American food, and calls himself "The Donger". He is known for voicing the character of Ling in the animated film Mulan (1998) and its sequel Mulan II (2004), as well as playing Long Duk Dong in the film Sixteen Candles (1984) and Takahara "Kaz" Kazihiro in Gung Ho (1986), and Nurse Yoshi Takata in the NBC medical drama ER from 1997 to 2003. Have you had any contact with Long Duk Dong, the 80s cover band from Lexington, Kentucky? When his father refuses to pay it off for him, he worms his way into the Peace Corps and runs to Thailand to escape his . Gedde Watanabe | Idea Wiki | Fandom "[2], Of Dong's love interest who is physically larger than him, Kent Ono and Vincent Pham write in Asian Americans And The Media, "The gender roles are switched. ER was less interesting as an actor as the character was closer to who I actually am as a person. He portrayed the character of Long Duk Dong in the 1984 film, Sixteen Candles. Gedde Watanabe - the DataLounge In addition to Tom Hanks, Volunteers also stars John Candy, Rita Wilson, Tim Thomerson, and Gedde Watanabe. He holds an American nationality and belongs to a white ethnic group. I know that periphery is loosening. Born on 26th June, 1955 in Ogden, Utah, USA, he is famous for Sixteen Candles in a career that spans 1976-present. Five models stormed down a narrow, elevated runway installed at the Oratoire du Louvre, a Protestant church, and then came to a dead stop, evenly spaced. After Dax Shepard asked her about her musical chairs relationship situation. Debbie and I keep in contact. I was a theater kid. '), everything Long Duk Dong says and does is understandably offensivebut is also, admittedly, hilarious. Long Duk Dong: Last of the Hollywood Stereotypes. He previously suffered a brain aneurysm on February 18, and was ultimately taken off life support. Gedde Watanabe's age is 67. My agent at the time sent me the script. I guess the right word for that is safe. What's icky about this relationship is how the filmmakers present it Dong's femininity makes him weak, and we're meant to laugh at this. I'm hardly the first to point this out, but it's worth unpacking again. His notable work in television series includes Gung Ho (1986), Sesame Street (1988), Murphy Brown (1988), Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child (1995 and 1997), Duckman (1996), ER (19972003), Batman Beyond (1999, 2000) and Model Family (2006). No song matches found.. Were currently in process of confirming all details such as Gedde Watanabes height, weight, and other stats. Gary "Gedde" Watanabe is an American actor and comedian. This is a movie that I try to forget I bought, like this I will not regret too much the few $ I spent on Amazon. The character has been called an offensive stereotype of Asian people. So I didn't so much go for the jokes, but played to his excitement and enthusiasm. I know I was different, I knew I was teased, but I didnt really take it upon myself to address it. Band founder Shaun Justice said, "It's odd that a character that's not a primary character would have so much notability. Their lucky numbers are 3, 4, 9, and lucky colors are green, red, purple. Long Duk Dong - Wikipedia Additional episodes will be released each following Monday. Gedde Watanabe girlfriend, wife list. I was so in love with Michael Schoeffling. Gedde who brought in $3 million and $5 million Networth Gedde collected most of his earnings from his Yeezy sneakers While he had exaggerated over the years about the size of his business, the money he pulled in from his profession realenough to rank as one of the biggest celebrity cashouts of all time. Click Here To Know More Anaridis Rodriguez, Jenilee Harrison, Marian Saastad Ottesen, Joshua Sasse, and Samantha Isler. I also had really good friends through theater and was able to blend in thanks to them. Everything Everywhere All at Once has won in every category they were nominated for. This password will be used to sign into all, Shania Twain Gives Rare Update on Her Ex-Husband and Ex-BFF, Journey Should Probably Go Their Separate Ways, TikToks Favorite Celebrity Couple Is Kim Kardashian and Michael Cera, How to Watch and Stream Every 2023 Oscar-Nominated Movie, Rick Scott Is Unfortunately Kind of Right About Novak Djokovic, Rick Scott Is Unfortunately Right About Novak Djokovic, Michelle Yeoh Promises No Swearing, Only Tears During Best Lead Performance Win. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Gedde Watanabe - Guest Appearance on Lyla Live! - YouTube The actor has a net worth of around $2 millionas of2019 which he earned from his career as a television and film actor. [1], In Sixteen Candles (1984), Long Duk Dong (played by Gedde Watanabe) is a Chinese foreign exchange student who stays with the grandparents of the film's protagonist Samantha (played by Molly Ringwald). There is no evidence that Gedde Watanabe has children. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Gedde Watanabe Net Worth, Earnings, Movies, Dating, Facts, Wiki-Bio How Old he was when he started his career? He was born in Ogden on 1955-06-26. He currently resides in Ogden. For Mulan (1998), he had another person do his singing voice because his own voice was too good. Category: Entertainment. Gedde Watanabe Net Worth, Age, Bio, Birthday, Height, Facts In my late 30s I became a makeup artist and met my future husband, In my . "While this representation aims to provide comic relief, it both feminizes Asian American men and simultaneously constructs alternative gender and sexuality as aberrant.". is a beautiful and populous city located in Utah United States of America. Most of it ill-advised. Gedde Watanabe, best known for being a Movie Actor, was born in Ogden on Sunday, June 26, 1955. Meaning he is - gasp - 52 now. Even Dong's love interest is minifying. Hasan Minhaj Brings His Powerpoints and Power Suits to Independent Spirit Awards, Travis Barkers Finger Is Now the Enema of Blink-182 Fans. People with Chinese zodiac Goat are tender, polite, filial, clever, and kind-hearted. More at IMDbPro Contact info Agent info Resume Born June 26, 1955 Add to list Awards 2 nominations Photos 15 Known for Sixteen Candles 7.0 Long Duk Dong 1984 UHF 6.9 Kuni 1989 Ive worked with directors since where you hesitate. Gedde Watanabe and with his co-star from sixteen candles. Gedde is originated from United . In my late 30s I became a makeup artist and met my future husband, In my late 40s we were able to legally marry. Source: Picswe On screen, Watanabe is often seen as a romantic and flirty guy. Gedde Watanabe - Rotten Tomatoes He talked about Asian actors that are doing. Trivia (7) Studied at American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, California, USA. The 1984 high school comedy movie, Sixteen Candles has already celebrated their 35th anniversary. It was my first movie and I had no idea what I was stepping into. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Gedde Watanabe Bio, Wiki, Age, Height, Net Worth, Married Life, Published On Wed Apr 24 2019 Modified On Wed Apr 24 2019. Also a great rap song the Donger did at the gym that got everybody dancing that I hope Universal brings back on some future release. [1] He is perhaps best known for voicing the character of Ling in the 1998 successful animated film Mulan and its 2004 sequel, Mulan II as well as playing Long Duk Dong in the 1984 film Sixteen Candles. "Lumberjack," as she's known, looms over Dong's small frame when they embrace, its his head on her chest. The actor also featured in a handful of blockbuster films. We have no records of past relationships for Gedde Watanabe. Later, a crowd of baffled middle-aged white folks finds him sprawled face-down on the ground after a drunken night. Played by Japanese American actor Gedde Watanabe, the character is a Chinese foreign exchange student and a supporting character in the film set at a US suburban high school. Gedde Watanabe Gary "Gedde" Watanabe (born June 26, 1955) is an American actor and comedian. Gedde Watanabe. Gedde Watanabe Height, Weight & Measurements At 67 years old, Gedde Watanabe height is 5 7 . And to single out your character to me misses the point. Some of his kids are in the arts, one in a rock band probably, some are teachers, a few doctors. He is perhaps best known for voicing the character of Ling in the 1998 animated film Mulan and its 2004 sequel, Mulan II as well as playing Long Duk Dong in the 1984 film Sixteen Candles, and as Nurse Yoshi Takata in the NBC medical drama ER from 1997 to 2003. The way we got that take is John found a feather and started tickling my feet. It's like every bad stereotype possible, loaded into one character. The casting director, Jackie Burch, was talking to me like I was from another country. This web series aims to be unique by featuring gay men in their 50s dealing with the fallout from faltering careers and empty bank accounts and generally scrambling to figure out how to set themselves up to survive in the decades yet to come. The first three episodes of The Disappointments will be available to stream on YouTube Monday, November 8. Gary started his career as Actor in 1976 when Gary was just 21 Years old. Disappointed. Therefore, regarding his wife, past affairs, and children is still a mystery. At the time of his death, he was -1955 years old. Cast: Billy Crystal, Bette Midler, Marisa Tomei, Tom Everett Scott, Bailee Madison, Joshua Rush, Kyle Harrison Breitkopf, Jennifer Crystal Foley, Rhoda Griffis, Gedde Watanabe, Tony Hawk, Steve Levy, Cade Jones, Maverick Moreno, Madison Lintz, Corey James Wright, Justin R. Kennedy, Fyodor Cherniavsky, Brad James, Christine Lakin, Ron Clinton . Oh, Loosey! Long Duk Dong is a fictional character who appears in Sixteen Candles, a 1984 American coming-of-age comedy film written and directed by John Hughes.Played by Japanese American actor Gedde Watanabe, the character is a Chinese foreign exchange student and a supporting character in the film set at a US suburban high school.The character has been called an offensive stereotype of Asian people. videos Ogden. Gedde Watanabe as Long Duk Dong in Sixteen Candles. What was it like to work with John Hughes?John made a movie shoot a situation where you want to join in, jump in the hot tub, and try things: Oh, lets try this. I actually felt sorry for Molly [Ringwald] and Anthony [Michael Hall], who were 15 at the time and had their parents on set with them. he was born on June 26, 1955, in Utah. Gedde Watanabe, better known by the Family name Gary, was a popular Actor. Gedde Watanabe: Top 10 Facts You Need to Know - FamousDetails No, not at all. For tickets to the LIVE performances of Assassins through March 20, 2022; log onto www.eastwestplayers.org. It also says so much about John Hughes, his movies, their resilience and his brilliance. Loved ever episode as far. And of course we had a script by the Ganz brothers, who had written Gung Ho and are hilarious. About: Gedde Watanabe These were people in their late 40s and early 50s, all of them feeling hopeless about how their lives had turned out., At the same time, we had friends at whom we marveled, added Burns. Related Authors. Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" blared as the audience took in their black, hooded utility coats rigged out with dangling straps, carabiners . He was in Sixteen Candles with Molly Ringwald. 3 years later, I no longer wanted to be a teacher. His other credits include Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Armageddon, and Mulan II. You actually say in the DVD extras that one of the special things about Sixteen Candles is the innocence of Molly wanting to find the right guy and me wanting to find the right America.My training and my teachers had taught me that getting a character is about going for the intention. Also, learn details Info regarding the Current Net worth ofGedde Watanabe as well asGedde Watanabe s earnings, Worth, Salary, Property, and Income. Similarly, he has not been in any scandals and paparazzi. After graduation, he left Ogden to become a street singer in San Francisco. Terms of Service apply. Then I came out (thinking I would never marry or have kids). Born Gary Watanabe on June 26, 1955 in Ogden, Utah, he came to be known as Gedde because "my Japanese grandfather could not say Gary". She had to remind me its the 30th anniversary. 1. Login Then I couldnt stop laughing but the crew couldnt either! This one looks terrific and Ill be watching it on Monday! Maybe indirectly, John thought he was breaking a stereotype. he was born on June 26, 1955, in Utah. Japanese-American actor and comedian, Gedde Watanabe is best known for voicing the character of Ling in the 1998 successful animated film Mulan and its 2004 sequel, Mulan II as well as playing Long Duk Dong in the 1984 film Sixteen Candles. Ive heard of the band. Gedde Watanabe was born on June 26, 1955, in Ogden, UT under the birth sign of Cancer. Everyone on set was just so much fun. As gay men, we should all understand this. Since his parents were Japanese-Americans (Watanabe's mother was placed in a Japanese internment camp during World War II), throughout his early life Watanabe felt an overwhelming sense that he was an outsider. NPR's Kat Chow said, "To be sure, there's nothing wrong with swapping gender roles, on-screen or off. Before Fame He acted in many high school productions. When I get cast, I never feel like I fit the part. Long Duk Dong is a fictional character who appears in Sixteen Candles, a 1984 American coming-of-age comedy film written and directed by John Hughes. The Disappointments was inspired, in part, by actual events. Category:Gedde Watanabe - Wikimedia Commons 26 June 1955. Gedde Watanabe Net Worth 2022: Money, Salary, Bio - CelebsMoney You want to try this? How did the acting bug bite you?My mother was an incredible seamstress. He was 52. And the clock is ticking. Dong's femininity makes him weak, and we're meant to laugh at this. I hope they address the reality of this situation. I think I found my new crush. Gedde Watanabe has a net worth of around $2 million as of 2019 which he summons as a television and film actor. *Sorry, there was a problem signing you up. The best musical instrument is a love triangle. Although, they can be dependent, indirect, moody, passive, aggressive, and unable to let go. I just thought I was a part of everybody else. Gedde Watanabe (born Gary Watanabe) is an American actor. Please check back soon for updates. Pronunciation of Gedde watanabe with 2 audio pronunciations, 1 meaning, 1 translation, 1 sentence and more for Gedde watanabe. Watanabe showed the machine to Hughes, who ultimately filmed the sequence in which Long Duk Dong and his American girlfriend awkwardly ride the machine together. By choice! Uploaded: 31 Dec, 2006. I just did an autograph show in New Jersey and a screening in California with Debbie Pollack, who played Long Duk Dongs girlfriend Marlene. Gary "Gedde" Watanabe is an American actor and comedian. Gary "Gedde" Watanabe (born June 26, 1955 in Odgen, Utah) is a Japanese-American actor and comedian . Gedde Watanabe (Actor) Wiki, Biography, Age, Wife, Net Worth, Family, Instagram, Twitter & More Facts, Willard Waterman Wiki, Biography, Age, NetWorth, Family, Instagram, Twitter, Social Profiles & More Facts. Gary "Gedde" Watanabe (born June 26, 1955 in Odgen, Utah) is a Japanese-American actor and comedian . "[3], Actor Gedde Watanabe, a Japanese American from Ogden, Utah, was cast as Long Duk Dong in what was "his big Hollywood break". I had a very strange upbringing where I didn't experience that much racism. 'The Disappointments' Hits The Gay Mid-Life Reset Button He is perhaps best known for voicing the character of Ling in the 1998 animated film Mulan and its 2004 sequel, Mulan II as well as playing Long Duk Dong in the 1984 film Sixteen Candles. His other credits include Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Armageddon, and Mulan II. Gedde Watanabe fathers name is under review and mother unknown at this time. If Long Duk Dong, Takahara from Gung Ho, and Nurse Yosh from ER all met, would they recognize that they all came from the same man? He is an actor, known for Mulan (1998), Sixteen Candles (1984) and Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990). Gremlins 2: The New Batch - Gedde Watanabe, See Have you ever gotten as wasted as Long Duk Dong did?Of course I have, are you kidding? Dating & Relationship status He is currently single. Do you remember auditioning for Sixteen Candles? And who you can expect to see performing and presenting. American actor and comedian. By choice! and more from FamousFix.com, Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child, Cartoon Squid, Japanese Father, Japanese Man. Then I came out (thinking I would never marry or have kids). "[12], In the 2007 book Don't You Forget About Me: Contemporary Writers on the Films of John Hughes, Long Duk Dong is described as defying stereotypes, noting that "uberdork Long Duk Dong proves himself to be a party animal" and "by the nights end the school's entire social strata will have turned upside down" with Samantha, the freshman geek, and also foreign exchange student Long Duk Dong finding romantic and social success. Since his parents were Japanese-Americans (Watanabe's mother was placed in a Japanese internment camp during World War II), throughout his early life Watanabe felt an overwhelming sense that he was an outsider. He is perhaps best known for voicing the character of Ling in the 1998 animated film Mulan and its 2004 sequel . Watanabe and Minami have been married since 2005, and have been looked upon as one of the most stable couples in the Japanese show business world, having undergone major health issues together, including Watanabe's battle with leukemia in 2016. Parental Guidance - amazon.com "[4] He auditioned for casting director Jackie Burch in-character, convincing her that he was from Korea and barely spoke English. Appearance is important too. Vernica Echeguis Dating Affairs, Boyfriend, Relationship, Net Worth, Earnings, Salary, Age, Facts, Wiki-Bio, Judy Geeson Net Worth, Earnings, Movies, TV Shows, Career, Married, Divorce, Husband, Children, Age, Facts, Wiki-Bio. [Laughs.] he says. N/A. Lauren Taylor, Ben Giroux, Jared Gertner, Josh Adams; Garrett Clayton, Becky Lythgoe, Riley Costello Heathers the Musical, will be . That scene was so much Heres everything this guy loved about America.. he would've thought it was something that cleans rice or makes tofu." Ken Watanabe admits having had extramarital affair His birth sign is Cancer and his life path number is 7. You just dont want a shooting experience like that to end. You have to evolve through time. Watanabe recalled his portrayal attempt, "My training and my teachers had taught me that getting a character is about going for the intention. What was it like being a Japanese-American kid in Ogden at that time? Im almost 70 and even though Ive had to slow down, I have no intention of giving up. Work period (start) 1976. I am glad we start a conversation about this very common issue on gay people from the 70s, like me. [4][6], Watanabe said he had "a great experience" making Sixteen Candles but recognized in retrospect that he was "a bit naive" about his role. He portrayed the character of Long Duk Dong in the 1984 film, Sixteen Candles. We hope you enjoy it! You just might. Gedde Watanabe Biography, Age, Height, Wife, Net Worth, Family Education: The education details are not available at this time. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Randy, a senior editor, has been with Instinct Magazine since 2018. Gedde Watanabe Net Worth - Celebrity Net Worth Wiki Ke Huy Quan Continues His Winning Streak at the Independent Spirit Awards. And Watanabe's image for his old character seemed much less ineffectual, much more fulfilled than the filmmakers probably had in mind: "He's lost some of his hair. The actor prefers a quiet and confidential love life. quotes, In an interview with Vulture last year, he envisioned what Long Duk Dong might be up to now. Prueba a ver si Netflix, iTunes, Amazon o cualquier otro servicio te deja reproducirlo en streaming, alquilarlo o comprarlo! Which I guess made me the black sheep of the Asians in Ogden. You wish they could all be like that. It's an odd animal.". He reminded me of John. Finally I had to admit I was lying. People born on Sundays typically are bright, creative, bold, loud, usually natural leaders. Gedde Watanabe's Relationship History Watanabe is probably married to his girlfriend. Have to Position Among the list of Most Popular Actor. Some of you piped up to ask, Hey, what's wrong with Long Duk Dong? Discover all the facts that no one tells you about Gedde Watanabe below . The American movie actor has been alive for 24,719 days or 593,262 hours. Did others not? Gedde Watanabe - Guest Appearance on Lyla Live! Gedde Watanabe is a member of the following lists: American film actors, American television actors and American musical theatre actors. Gedde Watanabe Discusses 30 Years of - Vulture