Invest in some quality desert goggles to maintain clear vision. You need to be bike fit. The race format is quite simple you race from Alice Springs 230km south to the community of Apatula on the ancient Finke River, camp the night then race back again the following day. please visit the link below. Become a bikesales member and get the latest news, reviews and advice straight to your inbox. "Finke has just continued to grow and grow over many years, to the point now where it's more of a national event than then a local event," he said. Even when I did well, it hurt like hell. Vroom, who grew up with the desert race etched into his calendar, said despite its growth, enthusiasm for riding was waning in the younger generation. A mousse tube is a condensed ring of foam which is inserted to the tyre in place of the inflatable tube. The high-speed and incredibly rough conditions of the Finke track can cause your bike to kick and buck and twitch which is scary and very dangerous. We need to keep it cool as overheating is your worst enemy. Please try another category or use our search function to find what you are looking for. Most dirt bikes offer plenty of adjustment in the suspension but if you dont know what to do, seek the services of a specialized suspension tuner. From 12:30pm onwards, the track direction is north. That may sound dramatic but the first time you ride the Finke track you will understand. It's setup . The CDR Yamaha Monster Energy Team celebrate 30 years of racing in 2023. Ive been riding almost every weekend but its all trailriding or occasionally on a motocross track. (ABC Alice Springs: Lee Robinson) Motor sports are not cheap. If you had an aggressive engine package and a firm suspension package, you might have the lap record for the first lap, but you might also be fatigued out of the race just passed halfway. Oceanside, CA. The latest release, the Blur Optics B-60 goggles is loaded with features. Your legs and lower back will be smashed to a pulp, guaranteed. They aid in control and reduce fatigue by allowing the rider to grip the bike more with their legs and less with their arms. You need to ride safe. Blog #15 - The Finke Desert Race & Lamberts COA - Days 83 to 87 of 180 One of Greg's images of a big banger Whilst in Finke we chatted to some motorbike riders who had also come in to watch the race as we were total newbies and had no idea where or what a good campsite would be. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. That's before the race entrance fee of $900, a jump from the 2022 price. Ergonomics of the bike are a factor too. "I'vecamped out and watched it for a long time now, but youget a bit itchy just watching.". The Origins The race started in 1976 as a 'there and back' challenge for local motorbike riders. Walsh (at right) also smashed his race winning 2019 time by just under 10 minutes, coming into Finke in a blistering 1 hour 45 minutes and 34 seconds. Its a nightmare and a general suspension setup just doesnt work on this track. Okay, a lot. Each vehicle selected will determine the value of the fuel pickups and their frequency. A coronial inquest into the death of Nigel Harris will continue later this year. Can the dogs of Chernobyl teach us new tricks when it comes to our own survival? When it comes to foundation, stamina trumps finish all day long, If your skin type or lifestyle means makeup fades quickly, its worth trying out foundations built for endurance, Thank you for this: Lifeguard praised for telling girl to leave San Diego beach after bothering sea lions, The fact the mom was watching her the whole time boils my blood, TikTok user says, Some "healthy" foods are actually ultra processed foods masquerading as something healthful. You are using an out of date browser. "It's not just the motorbike industry, it's everything around it,and it'ssimply a great event for the town.". Add to that fuel stops, bike durability, rider fitness and a four-hour race strategy, and you have a race that isnt easy to win.. Time will tell. Entries can fill fast and I didnt want to back out. Sam is a gun. In Australia, the renowned Finke Desert Race hosted in Alice Springs, Northern Territory, attracts thousands of desert racing die-hards from around the nation for what is the toughest event in the country, while the Hattah Desert Race in Victoria is a must for any off-road rider. Blisters and all. This is not recommended. Piloting a heavy, high powered motorcycle on technical terrain for the first time is not for the faint hearted. Bike setup is key to doing your best. The fear has been driving me to prepare better. (I am not sure what he said the gearing was Spock knows what is it mate ?). Allan B could be head of electrical - both Ron's could do mechanical . The Tatts Finke Desert Race, Australias biggest off-road, multi-terrain race has today confirmed the entry open dates and criteria for the 2023 event. Each Vehicle will have unique properties as follows. My training consists of gym work. Racing dirtbikes is the only thing that gives me the ultimate thrill, challenge and sense of accomplishment. YEAR AHEAD KTM 300 exc 2021 standard bike. We fit a 12.5-litre Safari tank to our bikes, which means we can go two full laps before refuelling. Howdy All I reckon if 25,000 EO users put in $200 each then I could set up ExploreOz Racing and tweak my Ranger a bit to participate in next years Dakar !! "Hakuna Matata II (Matrix MVS), XL1200 LTD, WB760, SX 550 "Esky PROJECT? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Approx. Steering Stabiliser Riding a dirt bike at speeds close to 170km/h across a shifting surface like sand can make for a very busy front-end, so we fit a steering stabiliser to their race bikes to settle the bike more to get it a more predictable feel in the sand and reduce rider fatigue.. All I could do was laugh and so did he. ", LT50, PW80 (x2), YZ85, KX65. '05 EXC2fiddyRFS (now 405.. thanks HT Racing ! The simple reason why Im back in is that I want to live. Dont ride too fast or youll come unstuck. Contact us at admin@finkedesertrace.com.au To Alice Springs. Tom Sizemore, the Saving Private Ryan actor whose bright 1990s star burned out under the weight of his own domestic violence and drug convictions, has died aged 61. "As long asyoung Alice Springs riders continue to join the motorcycle club, buy motorbikes locally, and compete locally, the eventwill continue for some time to come, long after I've moved on.". Mousse Tubes: A close second to Steg Pegs is a set of Mousse Tubes in your tyres, rather than the traditional inflatable tube we all know and puncture. Even the best riders suffer from blisters at Finke so do what you can to prevent them. very scary. It is a mental test, a physical test, and a real test of preparation for riders and teams. Hes also worked with Daniel Milner. 4: Gearing is crucial to getting your bikes engine working in the meaty power when the going gets tough. Race Day 1. With the track being predominantly sand, a scoop or paddle style tyre is used on the rear. Supermarket shelves are stripped bare, while those in the know collect their "Finke packs" from the local butcher, which they've ordered a month in advance. There are a lot of rocks and hard-pack sections on the race track and a puncture will ruin your ride. How the Finke Desert Race in Alice Springs grew into the ultimate off-road motorsport challenge. Maybe theyve seized? CentrePoint Sport and Leisure Osman Street, Blayney . Although they look simple and kind of like a door stopper bolted to the side of your bike, there is not one desert rider who doesnt swear by a set of these. Its going to be dusty, exhausting and painful. We have flowed heads and altered cams, but steer away from increasing compression or increasing rev limits on the ECU as that only adds strain to the motor. DESERT SETUP When setting a bike up for the desert, the main things that really comes to mind are the Steg Pegz, steering damper, stepper seat and foam grips. Michael Friend was arrested in 2018 for holding a sign that read "Cops Ahead" near a police checkpoint. Im still too conservative and not pushing my luck. Reflecting on the standout stories from the memorable Transmoto 8-Hour at Stroud in 2019 the last before Covid struck! 2023 Tatts Finke Desert Race Entry Details Confirmed, https://finkedesertrace.com.au/competitors/bikes. The Tatts Finke Desert Race is a unique off-road race for bikes, cars, buggies and quads held in middle of the Australian Outback. Its 40% more thermally efficient than traditional water/glycol based coolants which means enhanced cooling when operating at constant high throttle or high ambient temperatures. Time to ramp up the riding, training and mental game. You will go further and faster with a set of these! All times are GMT+10. It was just a weird coincidence and, truth be told, I was stoked to line up against the legend. Protection in a race like this in important. ALICE SPRINGS. 2: Tyres. The three cars got to the Day One finish line in . Josh Howells and Eric Hume were the second car in at 1 hour, 41 minutes and 32 seconds, then Beau Robinson and Shane Hutt just 18 seconds slower. and roughly 500 competitors, buggies and bikes, every year . Lee and his staff have been fixing my bikes for over 1 and a 1/2 years now and they are outstanding . "Whenyou have both cars and bikes competing on the same day, daylight is an issue,plus there needs to be a certain amount of separation between each race. The bars, levers and even the density of the seat foam plays a part, especially late in the race (imagine having to sprint the last hour with a next-level case of monkey-butt or blisters). JavaScript appears to be disabled, Husqvarna unveils the Norden 901 Expedition, FRANCE TO EXPERIENCE FIRST FIM WORLD SUPERCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP GRAND PRIX, Highlights: Monster Energy FIM Motocross of Nations 2022, How To Seal a Leaky KTM Power Valve Cover, TRAVELLING ABROAD WITH A SHERCO 16 ELECTRIC BIKE, WRECKERS 2 CHECKERS: S2 | ULTIMATE PROJECT BIKE, Power valve adjustment tricks of the trade, Australias Biggest and Best Dirt Bike Magazine, Subscribe To Australasian Dirt Bike Magazine, FINKE I CAN! So, we generally end up with motocross-style valving maybe a little softer with firmer springs and then try to keep a conventional bike balance with ride height around the 105-108mm area.. Install soft compound grips to your handlebars to help prevent blisters. On-course race fuel stops on both days. Two words showed something was wrong with the system, After centuries of Murdaugh rule in the Deep South, the family's power ends with a life sentence for murder, With Prince Andrew's sweetheart mansion rental ending, King Charles offers compromise that shocks his son, A Nazi-hunting nun, an accused murderer, a theatre legend: This Australian actor plays them all, The messy family drama behind one of the world's biggest K-pop empires, 'Skill up NSW': Chris Minns pledges to get young people working asLabor launches election campaign. Two motorcyclists injured in Finke incident being flown to Adelaide UPDATE: A MAN in his 60s has died after being struck by a vehicle while watching the Finke Desert Race on Sunday, NT Police have confirmed. The choice of vehicle will give a different aesthetic and challenge to the player which . I got to ride with Motul Pirelli Sherco Factory rider Justin Carafa a few times. Get some competition experience at a local level where you can experience race-day nerves, time pressures and bar-to-bar proximity with other riders. View our, into the death of Nigel Harris will continue. Come theQueen's (now King's) Birthday long weekend, the small outback town swells to capacity with interstate riders and revheads, basking in thepicturesque terrain.