FA Cup: 50 memorable goals - Roberto Di Matteo's speedy strike Since the 1990s games have been held at both the new and old Wembley Stadium, plus the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, all of which feature in our top four FA Cup final goals. No Chelsea team is complete without Super Frank, the Blues all-time leading scorer in the FA Cup. It was obviously an important game for us as a club after 26 years without a trophy.. fastest fa cup final goal di matteo Left-back Pearce stepped up to thunder a left-foot rocket past Erik Thorstvedt into the top corner, but Spurs went on to win 2-1 with Des Walker scoring an extra-time own goal. I went from the right-hand side all the way to the dugout on the other side so by the time we were finished celebrating, I was proper breathing!. He adds: I just went chasing him all round the pitch. Everyone was chasing me. Winning goals in the finals of 1997 and 2000 the first, against Middlesbrough, was the fastest scored in a Wembley FA Cup final at the time and an absolute worldie, too. Parlour wasnt renowned for his goal scoring exploits, but he produced a strike which will live long in the minds of Gunners fans after 70 minutes in Cardiff. It was the fastest goal scored in an FA Cup final at Wembley - a record since broken by Louis Saha in Everton's 2-1 defeat by Chelsea in 2009. . Trusted News Discovery Since 2008. No. ; Blue heaven in 43 seconds", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=1997_FA_Cup_final&oldid=1133695092, May 1997 sports events in the United Kingdom, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 15 January 2023, at 02:27. I just saw a huge space in front of me and raced down the right wing, Sinclair recalls. The fastest ever goal in an FA Cup final at the time. Sometimes you need a little luck and this is what happened. Chelsea cruelly expose Boro fault lines - The Independent This is the reason we're all here.It was one of the first games in the UK with a substantial amount of fans in attendance in more than a year, and they were all treated to an absolute scorcher.Why none of the Chelsea midfielders elected to close him down is anyone's guess but take nothing away from the strike as Tielemans arrowed one across Kepa Arrizabalaga right into the top corner.The precision and height of the ball made for one of the most aesthetically pleasing strikes you're ever likely to see. This final had two stunning solo efforts but the opening goal from Parlour makes it onto our list. Sinclair soon knew. #OnThisDay in 2012: @19SCazorla becomes a Gunner ?We all Santi for many reasons - but especially because of thisWhat a goal. Di Matteo does it again | Soccer | The Guardian I thought to myself, Maybe I will shoot, and so I did, was his typically cool post-match response to the strike. The Middlesbrough-born forward scored the only header on our list - and what a header it was. Louis Saha's goal resolved an awkward conundrum for serious quizzers (of whom, as you probably know if you're reading this - which you are - I am one). The sole entry of our 1970 winning side. The Ivorian made a habit of scoring at Wembley, but his best effort proved to be the match winner in the 2010 final against Portsmouth. - Ten Hag almost forgets EFL Cup. All of 35 yards out. What I also remember was that there was always nice weather and nine times out of 10 it was a sunny day. Trusted News Discovery Since 2008. Saha may have scored the fastest FA final goal ever after just 25 seconds, but this match-winning strike from Lampard meant Chelsea won 2-1 after Drogba's equaliser. Very unexpected. Middlesbrough kicked off but Italy international Di Matteo picked up the ball in his own half 35 seconds into the game. The ball exploded off his foot and over Ben Roberts, leading to a pumped up Di Matteo racing along the touchline in celebration, leaving his team-mates in his wake. Seven seconds. Despite being more than 30 yards out, he let fly. carol dickinson obituary; madame clairevoyant horoscope for today; southland mall sold. Tottenham's Paul Gascoigne brought down Gary Charles, causing damage to his own knee ligaments that would keep him out of the game for almost a year. Read about our approach to external linking. Wembley was a good pitch for me and 1997 was fantastic, a wonderful experience. Get involved by posting your comments on sports betting news today and enjoy great content from the trusted name in the gaming industry. Michael Owen vs Arsenal (2001) . We cover sport in great detail with all the top football, horse racing, cricket and tennis action just the tip of the iceberg. Middlesbrough played a part in their own downfall. 'Man Utd capable of punishing Liverpool' Video, 00:03:41, Obada on NFL, troubled upbringing & helping others. That figure was not fed to him; he knows the numbers behind the club which has been a part of him for the past couple of decades and a half. The Fastest FA Cup Final Goal - Quiz Monkey Lamps enjoyed his best year in the competition in 2007 when he netted six times en route to the final against Manchester United but his best was two years later when he scored a screamer as we beat Everton. One of them is me with my hand around his neck., Sinclair had a bit more ground to cover but he got there eventually although it would come at some cost. For sender corporate and licence details please visit our Imprint page. Eddie Newton added a second after 83 minutes to seal a 2-0 win for the Blues and their second FA Cup crown. Defenders have to defend, strikers have to try to score the goals, midfielders have to do both. manor farm barn, frindsbury; universal reclining bucket seats He has also reported on the England national team between 2008-19 and been a regular contributor to talkSPORT radio station for over a decade. On his home debut he scored the winning goal vs Middlesborough. Another one joining in up in the stands was Di Matteos blind sister Concetta. - Ten Hag almost forgets EFL Cup, '22m followers doesn't make it a 50-50 fight' Video, 00:00:57'22m followers doesn't make it a 50-50 fight'. pic.twitter.com/amiQBtk9UN. Video, 00:01:00, No regrets starting Kane on bench - Stellini, Whoops! The fastest goal in an FA Cup final at the time. Here's hoping for a few more contenders to add to the list today. The ball comes in from the right, it's half cleared by Damien Delaney, and then Jesse Lingard absolutely wallops it into the top corner on the volley.The strike came 20 minutes into extra-time and eventually won the final for Manchester United. Video, 00:07:26, 'Massive performance' from Man Utd - Ten Hag. Video, 00:05:02, From Football Manager to football manager, Potter insists there are positives within Chelsea camp. When you were talking about English weather, a bit like Switzerland, you say it's always raining, but I always saw a nice and sunny day for the FA Cup final, a beautiful ground and a great atmosphere. After only making the bench for his first FA Cup final for the club, in 2009, Ivanovic was selected at right-back for the subsequent showpiece matches in 2010 and 2012, making a couple of crucial blocks in the latter to help us beat Liverpool. Along with Peter Osgood and Didier Drogba, Di Matteo can be considered one of Chelseas cup final kings. It was the fastest goal scored in an FA Cup final at Wembley - a record since broken by Louis Saha in Everton's 2-1 defeat by Chelsea in 2009. He just knew how to keep everybody calm. Video, 00:01:01Epic breakfasts & 585lb deadlifts - Jones' transformation, 'I've not sought assurances on owners' Video, 00:01:00'I've not sought assurances on owners', From Football Manager to football manager. Video, 00:05:02From Football Manager to football manager, Potter insists there are positives within Chelsea camp. He scored in the Carabao Cup Final and FA Cup victories in 1998 and 2000 respectively. The 10 greatest FA Cup final goals - Live - BBC Sport There are some really good pictures of it. Video, 00:03:43, Obada on NFL, troubled upbringing & helping others, Epic breakfasts & 585lb deadlifts - Jones' transformation. And what followed was one of the FA Cup's iconic moments. However, the tension was considerably eased 42 seconds later when Roberto Di Matteo scored with a 30-yard strike which flew in off the crossbar. 2023 BBC. Read about our approach to external linking. Not only is it a thing of beauty it is the start of everything for Chelsea in the modern day. I shortly lost total connection with what the moment was, I just started running. On Thursday we are marking 10 years since the clubs first Champions League triumph, which the Italian led us to during his spell as manager and, incidentally, he also won the FA Cup that season by beating Liverpool in the final but before that, on Tuesday, it is 25 years since he first wrote his name in Chelsea folklore with a Wembley worldie in a famous win over Middlesbrough. Video, 00:00:19Whoops! What a player. . Twenty years after his cup-clinching strike for the Blues, the Italian was one of the players interviewed for the book Blue Day, which told the story of that day and an incredible decade for Chelsea Football Club through the players who started in the final at Wembley. A. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. The rest? Words. Not that Robbie changed. The most recent goal on this list came in arguably the greatest FA Cup final of all time. FA Cup final: The greatest goal from the last 50 years voted by you ABOUT CHELSEA FOOTBALL CLUB Founded in 1905, Chelsea Football Club has a rich history, with its many successes including 5 Premier League titles, 8 FA Cups and 1 Champions League, secured on a. BBC Sport is looking back at 50 iconic FA Cup goals in the build-up to the first round proper, which takes place in November. Almost 50,000 votes were counted and verified and we can reveal the players inducted into our ultimate FA Cup final team below! Read about our approach to external linking. United were down to 10 men after Kevin Moran's red card against holders and favourites Everton. Chelsea went on to win 2-0 for their first major trophy in 27 years. Video, 00:07:26Can Everton ever be great again? It may have been devalued a little in recent years thanks to the cold, hard cash on offer in other competitions, but it remains one of the top honours a footballer in England can ever hope to win, and it continues to make dreams come true. Roberto Di Matteo | Chelsea FC Wiki | Fandom Roberto Di Matteo (Chelsea v Middlesbrough, 1997) What a start. Throw in his two cup final wins as manager of the Blues, the most famous of which was undoubtedly in Munich, and youve got the seemingly unanswerable question: what is the defining image of Roberto Di Matteo at Chelsea? I saw him coming onto it but there were a lot of players between him and me and he hit it so well it was in the back of the net almost before I could react. As Pompey rued a missed penalty at one end, Drogba was standing over a free kick at the other. Roberto Di Matteo scores a wonder goal in the first minute of the game to give Chelsea the lead against Middlesborough in the 1997 FA Cup finalWEBThe FA: thefa.comWembley Stadium: wembleystadium.comTWITTERThe FA: twitter.com/faThe England Football Team: twitter.com/englandWembley Stadium: twitter.com/wembleystadiumThe FA WSL: twitter.com/fawslFACEBOOKThe FA Cup: facebook.com/thefacupThe England Football Team: facebook.com/englandteamThe England Womens Football Team: facebook.com/englandwomenThe FA WSL: facebook.com/fawslWembley Stadium: facebook.com/wembleystadiumINSTAGRAMThe England Football Team: instagram.com/england Chelsea's greatest goals: Di Matteo's 43-second thunderbolt sparked "I remember getting the ball and my first instinct was to attack," Villa told BBC Radio 5 live. And yesterday the stand-in Blues boss created another record by winning. The build-up to this one was Arsene Wenger's Arsenal at their very best. In 1996, Di Matteo signed for Chelsea for a fee of 4,900,000. 402 views, 2 likes, 0 loves, 0 comments, 2 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Sportsignings: Di Matteo doing bits on the phone 2007 He was as cool as ever in the build-up to that day.. Ahead of the FA Cup final this weekend, check out 8 of the best FA Cup final goals, from last minute winners, to 30 yard screamers. It nearly shattered the crossbar on its way in. I think it's probably the FA Cup final in 1997, was how the man himself called it. pic.twitter.com/QZtg7C4jMe. FA Cup final 2020: Chelsea boss Frank Lampard wants - One News Page Roberto Di Matteo/ played for Chelsea/ Retired in 2002 due to injury/Also scored the fastet goal in FA cup history. He went pretty crazy. The Chelsea midfielders goal was not only a stunning strike but was the fastest ever goal scored in an FA Cup Final at the time, hitting the net after just 42 seconds. - Ten Hag almost forgets EFL Cup. fastest fa cup final goal di matteo The sea of blue and the wall of noise which greeted the players before kick-off in the final let them know in no uncertain terms that there was no margin for error. The long-haired midfielder scored an extra-time winner as Arsenal wrapped up a league and cup Double with a 2-1 victory. Roberto Di Matteo scores a wonder goal in the first minute of the game to give Chelsea the lead against Middlesborough in the 1997 FA Cup finalWEBThe FA: the. Steven Gerrard's long-range goal against West Ham United in 2006 has come top in a vote to find the best FA Cup final goal from the last 50 years. The only free-kick in the top 10, and it came after a foul that is perhaps as famous as the goal itself. FA Cup: 50 memorable goals - Roberto Di Matteo's speedy strike He was exactly the same afterwards; a really cool, chilled guy. Association football championship match between Chelsea and Middlesbrough, held in 1997, controversial relegation from the Premier League, "Where are they now? 2023 Minute Media - All rights reserved, won the competition for the first time ever. However, the tension was considerably eased 42 seconds later when Roberto Di Matteo scored with a 30-yard strike which flew in off the crossbar. The fastest goal in an FA Cup final at the time. Actually, I'm not 100 per cent sure. Just ask Leicester City, who won the competition for the first time ever in 2021, and did so thanks to one of the best goals you are ever likely to see from Youri Tielemans. Fastest ever FA Cup Final goal | Di Matteo doing bits on the phone 2007 It was the fastest goal scored in an FA Cup final at Wembley - a record since broken by Louis Saha in Everton's 2-1 defeat by Chelsea in 2009. And as manager, he led the club to the ultimate dream of the Champions League and another FA Cup eight years ago. Eden netted the only goal of the game the last time we lifted the famous trophy, coolly slotting home from the spot as we beat Manchester United in 2018. Honourable mentions go to Eric Cantonas winning volley against Liverpool in 1996, Michael Owens late second against Arsenal in 2001, Ben Watsons header to win the cup for Wigan in 2013 and Santi Cazorlas sumptuous free kick a year later. It was a very good idea. Di Matteo picked up the ball on the halfway line before driving forward and firing an unstoppable effort in off the crossbar to beat a helpless Ben Roberts in the Boro goal from 25 yards. It was the fastest goal scored in an FA. What I noticed is that a lot of people would know the Champions League, but the true, loyal Chelsea fans would probably say 1997. A simple pass found Di Matteo unmarked on the edge of the centre circle and he set off on a 40-yard run with no-one making much of an effort to stop him. Enjoy. He wasnt in the middle of all the celebrations just to the side, chipping in.. One News Page. Bow. Eddie Newton added a late second as Chelsea won 2-0 to end their trophy drought. If it had gone in the top corner, no-one would have said a word. They pressed so high up the pitch after Minto had headed out for a throw-in, there was little cover when Wise won possession back. Ray The Romford Pele Parlour. Di Matteo would continue to chip in as far as helping Chelsea win trophies as concerned. After Steve MacKenzie's stunning volley, Kevin Reeves gave City the lead - but Garth Crooks made it 2-2. 'Man Utd capable of punishing Liverpool' Video, 00:03:41'Man Utd capable of punishing Liverpool', Obada on NFL, troubled upbringing & helping others. Video, 00:00:58, 'Massive performance' from Man Utd - Ten Hag, No regrets starting Kane on bench - Stellini. The midfielder left it until the final to score what was only his second goal of the season when he curled a sublime right footed shot beyond Carlo Cudicini into the top corner to give Arsenal the lead. [1] For Middlesbrough, it was a second final defeat of the 199697 season (having lost the League Cup Final to Leicester City the previous month), to go with their controversial relegation from the Premier League. I still feel for Roberts, Minto admits. Louis Saha Only 43 seconds had elapsed and, at the time, it was the fastest goal scored in an FA Cup final at Wembley - a record since surpassed by Louis Saha, who netted against the Blues for Everton in 2009 after 25 seconds - but Di Matteo took it all in his stride. 1 - @cpulisic_10 is the first American player to score in an FA Cup final, while it was Chelsea's quickest goal in the final of the competition since Roberto Di Matteo in 1997 (first minute v . I managed to score the goal, which helped us massively, but it is a team effort. Video, 00:01:00No regrets starting Kane on bench - Stellini, Whoops! The England midfielder had not scored in the Premier League all season so Chelsea could have been excused for not worrying too much about his run forward. Video, 00:01:48Top 50 FA Cup goals: Di Matteo's drive, Up Next. Roberto di Matteo led Chelsea to a famous Champions League victory in 2012 - cementing his status as a club legend. The Fastest FA Cup Final Goal. We have already looked at the biggest FA Cup upsets, now its time to remember some big goals. 2. live transfer final expense leads brazilian wax places near me brazilian wax places near me With the Sky Blues losing 2-1, Dave Bennett's perfect cross was met by a Houchen diving header to steer the ball past Ray Clemence and send the game into extra time. It kept the pressure off. ROBERTO Di Matteo scored the fastest goal in FA Cup Final history 15 years ago when Chelsea beat Middlesbrough. Getting to Wembley was a culmination of a good season. His arrival was outshone by that of legendary Italy international Gianluca Vialli from Juventus, as well as suffering a back injury in pre-season. Can Everton ever be great again? Video, 00:00:19Whoops! After a goalless 90 minutes, Liverpool led through Steve Heighway but Eddie Kelly levelled things up. "I lost control of the ball just a little before the goal but I shot. Check out all of the transfer gossip, top fives, match previews, big name columnists and all the latest odds with our news team providing expert analysis. Can Everton ever be great again? Video, 00:01:05Potter insists there are positives within Chelsea camp. He also seems uneasy with the idea of basking in the glory of his record-setting strike, preferring to remember his career through the shared experiences with a group of people he formed a tight bond with. In a largely disappointing match, in which Chelsea were generally in control, Chelsea eventually added a second goal seven minutes from full-time with Eddie Newton steering the ball into the net from Gianfranco Zola's clever flick to seal a 20 win.[3]. Video, 00:01:05, Potter insists there are positives within Chelsea camp, Can Everton ever be great again? Middlesbrough kick-off but Italy international Roberto Di Matteo picks up the ball in his own half 35 seconds into the game.. The only thing I didn't quite realise was the importance of it until I got here., The whole journey to Wembley that season was a rollercoaster of emotions; from the astonishing comeback against Liverpool to the back-and-forth with Leicester, followed by the relief of reaching the final against a Wimbledon side that had previously revelled in giving the foreign legion a black eye. Jump to content. 'Massive performance' from Man Utd - Ten Hag. OOHHH YOURI TIELEMANS! Scott Minto doesnt hesitate for a second. The FA Premier league Quiz Thread - Sports - Nigeria