If Green Label was your go-to before it was discontinued, you shouldnt notice much difference if you switch to Black Label. Few Rye. It does not have any remarkable feature but nothing wrong about it. White Wine Commonly Fine is a blog about great beers, wines and spirits at great prices. Kroger's Evan Williams Bottled In Bond 100 Proof - Top Bourbon If You've Hadthe Evan Williams Edition BOURBON GUY Never miss another article! Mouth: The sweetness is repeated here. Overall the design harkens to an earlier type of whiskey bottle with simple, nostalgic, and tasteful lines. Last September I was in Kentucky. Seems like they are going for different flavor profiles with these products and have blended their barrels accordingly. The lightning fast flavors are adequate, but it is clearly the weakest part of the sip. Light corn syrup, trending yellow. Mashbill: 78% Corn, 12% Malted Barley, 10% Rye. According to the press release, the bourbon is pulled from less than 300 barrels. Furthermore, while we know the distribution of Heaven Hill BiB is quite limited outside of Kentucky, Evan Williams BiB is distributed nationwide. 20. Earned Double Gold Medal at the 2021 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Peanut, vanilla frosting, cinnamon, brown sugar, Caramel, corn syrup, peanuts, cinnamon, oak, 1783 is the year in which Evan Williams founded. Evan Williams Single Barrel Is Now Kentucky-Only - Whisky Advocate Thats a pretty large bourbon line up! Finish: There's a little heat, but it fades pretty quickly. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch: has less cinnamon and more caramel. Easy to spot on a commercial or home bar. A bottle of Evan Williams' higher-strength white label at 100 proof. The answer is probably right there in the question: to make 1783 a better known member of this inexpensive but high-quality bourbon brand. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond: shows mores cocoa and vanilla on the nose. Tonight we are featuring the Evan Williams family of bourbons. Evan Williams 1783 Review The Whisky Study However, that is not to say Evan Williams - the brand - has been around since 1783. Fruit . Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond 33 Reviews Write a Review This 100 proof version of the world's second largest selling Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is aged four years under U.S. Government Supervision to meet the exacting standards for Bottled-in-Bond. 1783 is the year in which Evan Williams founded Kentucky's first distillery. Unlike Wild Turkey 17 Year Bottled in Bond, it's not overly bitter, tannic, or harsh. Evan Williams' signature as it appeared on an 18th century distillation license. We talk about bourbon, rye, or any American whiskey here (yes, even Jack). Now and then, this jockeying results in the decision to redesign or repackage one of those products to attempt to refocus its position in the market, or on the shelf, and thats what were seeing today with a new version Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch. Evan Williams 1783 has a thicker mouthfeel and shows more baking spice and caramel. Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond. not something I want to nose at all. Wheat Mexican The mouth shows more fruit and floral notes. The youngest bottle I have of age stated is from 95, and the oldest is from 87. New Belgium Thats why its so refreshing to see Evan Williamsn 1783 Small Batch buck this trend and anchor at a flat $20. Suffice to say, the 10 year age stated 1783 is on of the finest bourbons I've ever had. Its times like these that Im glad its not my job to rationalize the subtle differences between half a dozen different bourbon brands. Brown Bottled-in-Bond. *As of the time of writing, I am waiting for confirmation on that fact from Heaven Hill and will update if I hear back from them. In terms of ascending average prices, we have: Evan Williams Green Label (80 proof, $10) The main difference between Jack Daniel's vs Evan Williams Bourbon lies in their flavors, place of distillation, and alcohol content. Consumers like choice, or at least the appearance of choice within a fairly narrow band of optionsthis much is obvious to anyone who has ever set foot in the whiskey aisle, where a handful of major distilleries control most of the shelf space with a wide array of products, many of which tend to be only subtle deviations from each other. Even compared to Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond, there is more oak in this new 1783. Australian It has been ranked as one of the world's best . It has all the kick you expectbut still goes down smooth. Black Label is sweeter on the mouth, showing more classic bourbon "caramel/vanilla" notes. I believe HH dropped the age statement on the 1783 after the fire. Some rights reserved. As many Heaven Hill brands share the same mashbill and similar age range, its not surprising that the overall flavor profile is a somewhat familiar one. Proof: 100 Price: I believe I paid 17.99 at Kroger when I was supposed to be buying milk, but wandered into the liquor store instead. Its MSRP is a very affordable $20. Likewise, although 1783 is undeniably a good value, looking at the specs of Elijah Craig Small Batch, a blend of 8-12 year old barrels with a proof point of 94, for a mere $5 more on average, seems to suggest that its an even better value. Maybe you would like to live the bourbon life vicariously through us? If any of these are true, then check out BourbonObsessed.com today. 1783 is a small batch bourbon using less than 200 barrels; which is a bit too high for a supposedly small batch. This is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, matured for "four to five years" (I'll take the under) and bottled at 43%. Double Blind Review: Evan Williams vs. Evan Williams 1783 - BOURBON GUY I pour into the glasses labeled A and B and my wife moved them to either 1 or 2. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Review Bardstown Bourbon Co. The mouth on Black Label is similar, just a touch spicier. Evan Williams Single Barrel You must be 21 or over to enter this website. This way you get to decide based on what you know of Whiskey A if Whiskey B sounds like something you'd want to try. Proof: 100 Proof Color: Bright Gold Nose: Caramel with hints of vanilla, oak, and barley Taste: Citrus on top of vanilla, and black pepper Best Everyday Bourbon of 2020: Blind Tasting - Fred Minnick amrttEvan Williams 23; . Related research topic ideas. The wallet-friendly price and sweeter flavor profile also allows for easy guilt free cocktail experimentation. Nose: Caramel, vanilla, rye spices, jam, cedar, with moderate alcoholTaste: Sweet black tea, char, oak, jamFinish: Some sweet black tea remains, but a fair amount of char, dryness and alcohol build into the finish, which is fairly long with a moderate alcohol burn. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Price & Reviews | Drizly How we pack. Asia This small batch Bourbon is pulled from less than 200 barrels. Bernheim Barrel Proof Original Wheat Whiskey (Batch A223), World Whiskey Society Doc Holliday 8 Year Bourbon, Bardstown Bourbon Company Origin Series Bottled in Bond Bourbon, Lifting the shroud on malted corn bourbon with Frey Ranch's Co-Founder Colby Frey, The definitive guide on how to drink bourbon. Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey | Malt - Whisky Reviews Inhaling deeper brings forth notes of light marshmallow and leather, however these take a back seat to the main scents. 21st Amendment Thoughts: This is a very pleasant, uncomplicated bourbon. Made at Heaven Hill, it is a blend of Evan Williams Kentucky Straight Bourbon, honey, and spices. Canadian Evan Williams Bottled in Bond: is sweeter on the nose showing more vanilla and chocolate. With that said, its still sort of hard to imagine myself specifically seeking out this brand, when I could spend another $5 and go for the Elijah Craig Small Batch instead, but thats simply a factor of Heaven Hills lineup being so densely constructed. The different products are the result of age and warehouse location. Deep Eddy Lemon Vodka USA Spirits Review | Tastings Please support me on Patreon! The product is aged for a minimum of four years (which is more than the two year minimum to be called 'straight' bourbon, but is the minimum requirement for a straight whiskey that does not have an age statement on the label). 1783 is not bad by any means, it has a good flavor at a price range in which bourbons taste like rocket fuel. Red Wine Evan Williams 23 1972 750ml 53.5 Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey 45% (USA) $19.00. Evan Williams White Label - Bottled in Bond - The Whisky Exchange Stout The 20 Best Bottled-in-Bond Whiskeys, Ryes, Bourbons, and - VinePair Now is aged for just 4 years. The youngest bottle I have of age stated is from 95, and the oldest is from 87. This article purely describing the differences between the various bourbons. Kentucky Thats a LOT of different bourbon brands from one distillery between the $10 to $30 or $40 range, especially considering that all of them are made with the same mash bill. Have you had all 3? Evan Williams Bourbon Review Single Barrel is a five-time Whiskey of the Year award winner. Evan Williams Black Label vs. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Champagne Ive made tasting journals, stickers, pins, and more. This is presumably the same mash bill and barrels used for JW Dant and JTS Brown BiB, two other value BiB bourbons that I posted about last week, as they are also made by Heaven Hill. Review #14: Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch : r/bourbon Featured in an unassuming bottle and at a mid 80s proof point, it was a bottle that was easy to pass by on shelves. Oct 5, 2019. Last year, Heaven Hill Distillery makers of Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Henry McKenna and more discontinued its popular 6-year Bottled-in-Bond expression. [] Also read: Evan Williams 1783 vs Evan Williams Single Barrel: Discover the Better! American Kroger All of Heaven Hills' standard bourbon is the same mashbill - from lowly Heaven Hill black label to Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Gluten Free Yet delivers nice sweet tasting notes with moderate oak to it. If you're missing Henry McKenna (which rapidly disappeared from your local liquor store shelves after winning best whiskey in the world at the 2019 San Francisco World Spirits Competition), look no further than this $20 substitute from the same distillery. Did you enjoy this post? Evan Williams Black Label: A Reliable Go-To Drink Evan Williams is one of the most popular straight bourbon whiskey brands. HH is targeting a different profile with the 1783 compared with the BIB. Belgian The finish is much warmer. Want to read about another Evan Williams bourbon? I'd like this as I watch tv at the end of a rough day. Mashbill:78% Corn, 12% Malted Barley, and 10% Rye. Evan Williams BiB is just one of the numerous non age-stated Heaven Hill bourbons and while its flavor profile is more traditional and somewhat one-dimensional, it still offers subtle characteristics unique to the brand and delivers them in its own unique way. [] Evan Williams carried an age statement of 7 years until the 90s when it was removed. The nuttiness initially fades away, but returns after a minute or two. Nose: This is a sticky sweet caramel roll in a glass. The whiskey has been flavored with natural or artificial flavors, as well as a label that indicates the predominant flavour(s). While you could compare this directly with Heaven Hill BiB (6 year old) at $12 and say the Evan Williams BiB is younger and more expensive at $15, I would argue that youre just comparing two bourbons that both offer exceptional value. The 10 Best Bourbon Whiskeys for Under $20 - Delishably 1783 is a small batch bourbon using less than 200 barrels; which is a bit too high for a supposedly small batch. Bardstown, KY 43% Alc./Vol. Drinking to two side by side, its hard to understand why the taste difference is so large considering its supposed to be the same starting product and 1783 cant be that much older than 4 years at $28 a 1.75L. The Irreverent Home of Frugal Bourbon Drinkers Since 2012, Reviews: Other Whiskey (Not Bourbon or Rye), If You've Hadthe Evan Williams Edition, Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Bourbon, 90 proof . Tasting Notes: Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch Vital stats: Uses Heaven Hill's traditional bourbon mash bill of 78% corn, 12% malted barley, and 10% rye; made from 300 barrels or less, aged 6-8 years; 90 proof; about $20. This bourbon has a mid-amber, pretty standard coloring, and sits right on the benchmark for bourbon qualities. Age: NAS, but Heaven Hill's website says it consists of 6 and 8 year old spirits only. Name: Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch. Its full flavored and assertive with a welcomed amount of heat, though I would still describe it as smooth for its proof. While the bottle may proclaim that this whiskey is Kentucky's 1st Distiller, and pays homage to a 1783 distiller by the name of Evan Williams, in reality the current production of whiskey has no association (other than in name) with that individual and instead is produced by the Heaven Hill distilling company. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon has the classic bourbon flavors, although with a fair amount of sweetness. Each section below is written comparing all of the whiskeys in the line-up to one of their peers. The finishes are virtually identical. Bonded is warmer in the mouth showing more baking spice and chocolate notes. This special bottled-in-bond bourbon is a genuine sour mash that honors his pioneering heritage. Evan Williams Single Barrel (2013 vintage): is very similar on the nose, showing a few more floral notes. Pumpkin With bourbon prices skyrocketing and limited releases hard to find, Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch is a good reminder that sometimes you dont have to pay much to be pleased. Evan Williams 100 Proof Bottled in Bond; . Bottled at 86 proof, this bourbon is also filtered in the dump tank with activated charcoal before bottling, and carries no age statement. 1783 has a more robust flavor profile showing much more spice and caramel. Strength: 45% ABV/90 proof. Beer World Vodka Awards 2017 . Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. So, having the 1783 in hand and having picked up the mini of the black label, I decided tonight to go head to head. Sign UpYes, I would like to receive Paste's newsletter, 2023 Paste Media Group. Four Gate Whiskey Company. Learn More 100 PROOF & BONDED The product of one season, one distiller, and one distillery. Fruit notes here lean in more of a caramel apple direction, while the ethanol is very restrained, making this an effortless drinker. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond vs Single Barrel: Head to Head! 1783 is more floral whereas the other three are more "stereotypical" caramel/vanilla bourbon notes. Please support me on Patreon! If you're not old enough to drink, then you're not old enough to read Breaking Bourbon. The end result is a pleasingly sweet palate that is the highlight of the sip. Made from a mash comprised of of 78% corn, 10% rye and 12% malted barley. 74. There was a time when $20 could net you a solid bourbon that was sure to please and was also readily available for purchase. One, it has a higher ABV (50%). Full flavored but still smooth, this sweet tasting BiB bourbon wont wow you, but offers enough versatility to make it a mainstay in any home bar, all for less than $20. Having been around for a number of years, in May 2021, Heaven Hill reintroduced the brand with a more premium package design. Evan Williams Whiskey Price Guide 2023 - Hangover Prices Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond. I was familiar with EW BIB but had fallen out of love with it. The new Evan Williams 1783 likewise sports a newly redesigned bottle. Of course, sometimes you buy something just because you want to compare it to something else. Why is Evan Williams 1783 drastically different and less sweet compared It has a palate that shows hints of oak, vanilla, honey, and a slightly sweet finish. It's pretty much my second favorite hobby. Black Label has less spicy heat than 1783 but has a more pronounced cinnamon flavor. Privacy Policy. Cider That put pressure on Evan Williams Single Barrel, whose packaginghand-bottled and wax-sealedmakes it significantly more expensive to bottle.Brands and expressions come and go, so why . 70. The nose leads with a hefty dollop of brown sugar and vanilla, with light notes of marshmallow and leather. Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond is aged under government supervision and meeting the exact requirements for a Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon. 94 Evan Williams 2013 Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey 43.3% (USA) $29.00. It shares the same mashbill as many other Heaven Hill brands.This is a Bottled in Bond (BiB) bourbon. Reviews and discussions are encouraged, check out the stuff we've compiled in the sidebar and our review archive! Evan Williams Bottled in Bond: is sweeter on the nose with more baking spice and hints of chocolate. Paler than expected, in the glass. Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch honors the year that Evan Williams founded Kentucky's First Distillery. I'd read that it was a pretty good value bourbon and decided on a whim to pick it up. I try to write this so that there are no value judgments. Elijah Craig Small Batch (94 proof, $25) Today, the whiskey bearing his name is made by Heaven Hill and is the second-biggest bourbon brand in the US. By the way, this is way more enjoyable than the 17 year. The Irreverent Home of Frugal Bourbon Drinkers Since 2012, Reviews: Other Whiskey (Not Bourbon or Rye), Double Blind Review: Evan Williams vs. Evan Williams 1783, #DavinTT Week One + a book and a whisky review, Review: Henry McKenna Single Barrel Bottled in Bond . There are also a few other bourbons that may be available in the gift shop, such as Evan Williams 23 Years Old and Evan Williams Red Label (101 proof, 12 years old). Its technically non-age-statement, but Heaven Hill states that its a marriage of barrels aged six to eight years, and the proof on this new version has been bumped up slightly, from 43% ABV (86 proof) to its original 45% ABV (90 proof). Bottled in Bond Bourbon (and Tennessee Whiskey) Is Back and Better Than Have you had this bourbon? For years, Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch was an easy-to-overlook bourbon. But a $1 difference is really splitting hairs. Suffice to say, the 10 year age stated 1783 is on of the finest bourbons I've ever had. Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond is bright gold in color. Scotch The flavor profiles are also different, with Evan Williams BiB trading a bit of Heaven Hill BiBs balance for some additional character and sweetness. Evan Williams 1783, for instance, is composed of bourbons 6-8 years old, according to Heaven Hill. 1783 also has a floral hint when compared to Black Label. Can $15 Bourbon Taste Like $50 Bourbon? | Evan Williams 1783 vs Evan Mixed Drinks It's soft and full in the mouth. These include an embossed Evan Williams signature in the glass itself along with a wrapped top that hides the twist-off cap beneath it.