Not pictured: Leisha. Cole has met other Universal Life Church ministers all over the place. Read More. Chana won a Peabody Award for her coverage of education andourshowson school segregation. They listen back to figure out how well-intentioned the subjects are, their capacity for honesty and openness with both themselves and the people in their lives. Left-to-right, Megan, Pete (Dad), Jean Ann (Mom), Steve (the author), and Kevin. Alix was one of the founding producers of This American Life back in 1995. The two of them worked for a few months to come up with a name until Condon landed on Heavyweight. Tuesday, March 7. What does that mean? But she worried about how Natalie would perceive the way we had pursued her. She was our full siblingmy dad was this girls dad, too. (Spoiler: The musician is Moby.). We explained that we wanted to meet Leisha, although we understood that we werent entitled to that reunion. . Each of the couples continue to live in wedded bliss today. Last week, when I saw the news that Judge Martin P. Welch granted Adnan a new trial, I happened to be on Skype with our Executive Producer Julie Snyder, and both of us did exactly the same involuntary thing of sucking in our breath and then putting our hands over our mouths. In the summer of 2018, my parents met Natalie and her husband for the first time at a family restaurant near Minnetonka. She sees Emron (probably Adnans friend Imran) and says that he looked like crap. She concludes that most people think he'sinnocent. Chris comes to the show following more than a decade at NPR, producing and reporting for its newsroom, Science Desk and the podcastEmbedded. And while Waranowitzs words on the stand were few, and technical, and soporific [seeEpisode 5, where I admitted to being so bored by the whole thing that I handed it all over to our producer Dana Chivvis to investigate], his testimony was in fact fantastically important. We'll have a much more detailed timeline of Jan.13, 1999 coming later this week. Some episodes are heavier than others, but almost all the conflicts have been weighed down by the steady compounding interest of time. Cassie joined This American Life as Finance Manager in 2018. Emmanuel Dzotsi was a fellow at This American Life before joining Serial. ), After officiating at the Beaubien-Schmidt wedding, Cole felt drunk with a kind of feeling that I had this power to unite people. At the reception, I put my arm around Natalie and thanked her for coming. Sarah Koenig was a newspaper reporter for ten years, before joining the staff of This American Life in 2004. Heavyweights production values sound so lusha seemingly inordinate amount of time and technical skill and writerly thought go into the showthat the term podcast doesnt feel adequate. My dad didnt say anything at all. Producer Kalila Holt and host Jonathan Goldstein in his new Heavyweight studio, in Longfellow. Cole grew up in the Unitarian Church but got his credential to officiate at weddings through the Universal Life Church, which makes it easy and cheap. Rae has a background in sound for film, live audio, and documentary editing. Legal in Wisconsin and District of Columbia. (Photo: Kate Fromhagen). Gabe OConnor, formerly on the team at WBURs Only A Game, tapped Cole to officiate when he married his wife Becca. Its funny, because we worked so hard to refine this concept, she said. She most recently produced, for Netflix, the movie ComeSunday,which was based on the 2005 episode "Heretics." Mom agreed in the coming weeks that she would start what could be a reunion process. I gathered that together, in the country, they decided on a course of action. I was born in 76, followed by Kevin in 77 and Megan in 81. Which parts of the story will they include and which parts will they leave out? We worked with animators at Moth Studio to create the Cleveland settings for each episode, and then we commissioned illustrations from muralists and artists to go in those scenes. The only complicating factor now seemed to be Goldstein and his podcast. I understood the emotional risks involved for her. Id relentlessly lobbied for one, at one point getting my mom to admit that something happened to her, in the distant past, with a Ouija board. And I think we lucked out with the investigator I chose, even though I hadnt even realized the scope of Goldsteins talents when I initially offered him my familys story. The perfect place for law nerds:) AMCaulder , 02/28/2023. I didnt know if my no-longer-secret sister was even alive. He asks a reporter to investigate the son of a wealthy family who's allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. 30+ "Emily Condon" profiles | LinkedIn And, White girl Stacie just mentioned that she thinks you did it. You mean Ayn Rand, defender of Tsarist aristocracy? The couple met soon after Ahearn took a job as an environment reporter at KUOW in Seattle. The straight line that runs diagonally through the center of the map shows the distance from the road to the place where Haes body was found. Christopher Swetala joined the show as the head of fact-checking in 2015. I know because I performed my sisters ceremony, and she performed mine. Emily Condon Podcast consultant and strategist; editor and writer Minneapolis, MN. My Mother's Secret (the Podcast) - Mpls.St.Paul Magazine But Asia writes about a school divided over whether or not Adnan is guilty. "I recognize that the process of designing a space is very personal and emotional. THAT Ayn Rand? It was a warm, eloquent, beautiful letter: in many ways the absolute dream scenario. Bim is a journalist and playwright who has written for BuzzFeed News, the Guardian, Vogue and many other titles. Before that, she was an Emmy-award winning producer and reporter covering national news for Vice News. the goofball cutie, her partner in co-creating interactive documentaries and platforms such as Zeega and GoPop. But thats not true, Megan, she said. Then when I sat down with Ira at last, and I was telling him about Jonnys new show, he was just like, Oh. My familys mystery had gone unsolved for nearly a decade: long enough that my siblings and I were making increasingly awkward jokes about it at holiday dinners. Cole also officiated at the wedding of Michael Murray and Ashley Ahearn, who had been Coles intern at WBUR before she went off to work at Living on Earth. Just his soft-spoken way of asking, Do you want to write that letter right now? Last week, we asked people whove been listening to Serial to chip in if they wanted a second season. Goldstein always does his best to bring about a resolution of some kind, something that satisfies everybody involvedthe people with the secret, and his audiencethrough the twin powers of longform narrative and droll radio humor. Did it have any significance? Still, somehow, ever since he was an adolescent, hes felt compelled to entertainstarting off safely behind a word processor. This is a map of the gravesite in Leakin Parkand of the places where the police found evidence. Before that, Alaa freelanced/interned for KQED Public Radio, Alaska Public Media, NPR, and KALW. Most recently, Sarah was the Senior Producer forThe Nod. But theres another possible version that, years later, seems like a more likely rendering of what happened: My mother , sensing no marriage proposal would be forthcoming, set a course and followed italone. Just a note to help you navigate the calls, Jay testified to making the ones to Jenn, Patrick and Phil. Read More, This seems like a good time for a primer on cell tower technology. The writing is equally sort of funny and melancholic, which is a combination I think is really hard to beat.. 30+ "Emily Condon" profiles | LinkedIn A few months later, after Goldsteins paternity leave, his producer, Kalila Holt, got in touch. When that proved unwieldy, I offered to type for her. Today, we have good news: betweenthe money you donated and sponsorship, well be able to make a second season. Seth Lind, Lyra Smith, Matt Tierney, Emily Condon, Elise Bergerson, Julie Whitaker, Kimberly Henderson, Tracey Chan and . I remember how gentle and embarrassed she sounded, as she explained that, yes, she had given birth to a baby girl seven years before I was born. And while my familys episode has taken longer than usual to produce, many of them are multi-year, multi-hour endeavors. AtReveal,they also covered everything from racial discrimination in mortgage lending to the Pizzagate conspiracy theory. And then we followed those cases outside the building, into neighborhoods, into peoples houses, and into prison. Jeez man, do you have to be such a downer? And when my dad would hear me talking to Mom about Goldstein or the podcast, he would sometimes explode in anger. The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance. Special thanks to Emily Condon, Alex Blumberg, Brendan Klinkenberg, Mitch Hansen, Phia Bennin, Justin McGoldrick, JT Townsend, Rachel Strom, Mark Barlett, Jason Alexander at the . Learn more here. This is a podcast creator profile for Emily Condon.This page showcases all of Emily Condon's podcast credits and appearances such as hosted episodes, guest interviews, and behind-the-scenes work. Megan described the entire campfire going silent as Cindy realized what she had just said. She handles film and television adaptations,and rights, for the show. I just looked up my very first taped conversation with Adnan. Emanuele came to This American Life from Gimlet Media. Chapter I - S-Town Podcast The month-old podcast has already topped the iTunes charts and garnered listeners from across the globe, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported. She had been drinking with our cousins and our Aunt Cindy around a bonfire, singing songs and telling stories. Prior to that, she spent eight years at Goldman Sachs Group. I hope it played out something like this: Megan, its OK. Just calm down and tell me what happened.. Emily Condon's Podcast Credits & Interviews | Podchaser In 2015, he created and hosted the podcast festival Cast Party, beamed live into 500 movie theaters. Dont know how to get a podcast? The next day, Goldstein asked if he could come to my apartment to get you applying aftershave, putting on a necktie, etc. It was amusing seeing Goldstein in full-on documentarian mode again, with his big fuzzy mic. She told me that Cindy had apologized profusely the next morning. He asks Brian to investigate the son of a wealthy family who's allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. Your email address will not be published. What do I have to thank Natalie for? This is your moms life.. Listen to the Marsh familyepisode of the Heavyweight podcast. Laura got their start as a fact-checker before beginning in public radio at WNYC, and later reported forState of the Re:Union andNPR's Science Desk. Weve added two graphics to the site today that might be helpful as you listen to the rest of the season, although theyre especially relevant to Episode 5. I couldnt do it for someone I didnt know, or someone I wasnt really close to. 2014 - 2023 Serial Productions, a New York Times Company Nancy Updike is one of the founding producers of This American Life. Jauan told them that sometime after Hae went missing, he and Adnan had gone to the Best Buy parking lot to smoke weed. . Ira Glass is the creator and host of This American Life, which has won the highest honors for broadcast excellence. She is also the recipient of a 2015 Fulbright award to Macau, China. Price of tea at C-Mart, This was curious. When shes not behind a computer screen, you might find her behind a sewing machine. Serial (podcast) - Wikipedia Producer Bim is a journalist and playwright who has written for BuzzFeed News, the Guardian, Vogue and many other titles. I froze. My mom explained that shed heard how the nearly medieval process of contacting your birth daughter worked: You send a letter to your file at Catholic Charities, and they tell you if there is a letter waiting for you. On Monday afternoons in the summer, I still go trapshooting in a league with my dad. Having run through her history, feeling vulnerable again to everything shed experienced back then, she explained why she hadnt written the letter yet. Its such an unusual trick that hes pulling, Blumberg says. She acknowledged how much his help had meant to us. We agreed that once they got back home, we would all get together as a family to talk it through. And he praises the way Goldstein strings together the quotes and the story. Thanks to everyone who donated. Weekly podcasts are available online for download at serialpodcast.org or search for "Serial" on iTunes. His Minnesotan wife, Emily Condon (a former managing director on This American Life and Serial), came up with the title for his podcast, Heavyweight. As the presiding minister, Cole turns to the groom to ask, Will you take this splendiferous, magnanimous, hilarious whip-smart beauty to be your lawfully wedded wife?. But I was alarmed to see instead an entire screenful of missed calls from my sister. Steve, do you have anything you want to thank Jonathan for? Click on the image to see a larger version of the timeline. Read more, var customEventsOnLoad = window.onload; I dont know what it is, but it opened up these feelings in me.. Its a little easier when its people Jonathan already knows.. I guess I never really thought ahead to having it on a podcast. He really was uncomfortable with the microphone. I called the Lutherans and asked them to send my mom a new packet. At this point it would be good to point out that each season of Heavyweight includes eight episodes. Once I found Emily, it all changed for me. One of Coles favorite wedding memories is of presiding over the marriage of Jonathan Goldstein and Emily Condon, one of four couples with connections to TAL whom he married. Built with the Largo WordPress Theme from the Institute for Nonprofit News. She's been with This American Life since 2009. I was in charge of figuring out the most convenient place to meethalfway from the western suburbs and White Bear Lake. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde, No Coincidence, No Story, Switched at Birth, and Habeas Schmabeas, a Peabody Award-winning show about Guantanamo Bay. He has also served as VP of Content and Programming for WBEZ, and contributed to Radiolab, NPR, and Marketplace. View the profiles of people named Emily Congdon. Most people we talked to in the last year - former students and teachers - have a hazy memory of those months. Big news: were launching Serialon Friday, October 3rd. Various, +5 more The New School, +1 more Emily Condon Scientist at Cell Carta Greater Montreal Metropolitan Area. My parents huddled together to watch their baby behind glass at St. Marys Hospital, a Catholic hospital in Cedar-Riverside. Emily Condon - Water Resources Engineer - CDM Smith | LinkedIn I can imagine my mom, just starting to show, being received by my dads intensely affectionate family. She came toThis American LifefromRevealwhere she managed production and produced long-form investigative stories like this one. If you want a preview, click on the play button at the top of the page, or subscribe in iTunes. Her own mother, also a devout Catholic, labeled her a failure and wouldnt allow her to visit home unless she held an overcoat in front of her belly. Somewhere over the 610 bridge, we spotted a mallard and her three ducklings attempting to cross the freeway. Emily Condon | Pre-match interview | Westfield W-League By Emily Condon Last week, we asked people who've been listening to Serial to chip in if they wanted a second season. It covers the major events in the year and a half from when Hae went missing to when Adnan was sentenced to life in prison. You can also find the podcast on Stitcher, RadioPublic or the podcatcher of your choice. Key Enterprises LLC. But my mom admits they needed the help. S-Town Podcast John despises his Alabama town and decides to do something about it. So we were curious aboutwhenthe weather got bad that day. Were reporting this story as we write it. Valeriya, who also goes by Valerie, came to This American Life from her Fulbright to Ukraine, which she spent in Poland. Sure enough, as the wedding got closerand closermy mom still hadnt said anything to Natalie about Goldstein or the podcast. You can listen to Serial in many places: right here on our site, on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and on Pandora. They married some three years after that birth and adoption, and then struggled a bit getting pregnant again. Thank you., Price of tea at 7-11 I was emotional, and I cant remember the precise specifics of what we talked aboutanother reason Im happy to have turned this story over to somebody who records everything. One teacher tells a group of students that the police wouldnt have just arrested him on a whim. The authors parents take the top down on a 70s road trip. Outside of Serial, he designs sound for theatre and live performance, specializing in new and devised plays. And when I finally wrapped the idea around my head, I wanted it to be more private. I reached Blumberg at the New York offices of Gimlet Mediaone of the first podcast-industry success stories. And then, he says, you have to talk people into finishing the story. He realizes theres a showbiz aspect to what he doeshitting deadlines, commitments to sponsors. Had there been an accident? Did I have an older brother somewhere out there? Facebook gives people the power to. Production Manager | Producer + Add or change photo on IMDbPro Contribute to IMDb. My parents and our aunts and uncles and cousins had all been keeping this secret from me and my two siblings. So we did. Might Cole be tying the knot himself any time soon? Emily Condon manages This American Life. I think I mustve had that letter in me the entire time, she said. Maybe she just wouldnt care. It crossed my mind that Adnan might be off his rocker in some way. In the end, I realize that I trusted him more than I trusted myself. Many state laws have been updated since then and these marriages are indeed legal. This season, we tell you the extraordinary stories of ordinary cases. What was it again? He kept getting up and offering Jonathan coffee and pie.. I always need to remember, this is your life, he says. More Than You Ever Wanted to Know about Cell Tower Technology. This is how Goldstein and Holt determine the viability of a potential story. It was like one of his radio stories in which you are the characters, recalled Goldstein, who now lives in Brooklyn and produces the Heavyweight podcast for Gimlet Media. With no explanation. Holt reports they recorded over 20 hours of tape, spread out over nearly three years, which they now need to log, prune, and piece together. It's funnynot funny ha ha; more like ha ha, that was a miraclethat when I finally asked somebody for help, I stumbled on the perfect guy. Goldstein was married to Pat's sister, Emily Condon, who ran the Oak Street Cinema in Minneapolis before moving to New York to work for Ira Glass and This American Life. A very special thanks to Emily Condon. The trick involved applying the tools of investigative journalism in service to stories that werent stories that you would see in a newspaper, he said. Previously, Emanuele worked as a public radio reporter in Michigan and Missouri. . Emily Condon. Now that he was in my lifeand hes really in it: Goldstein and Condon moved to Minnesota last winterthe least I could do was read the book on Jonathan Goldstein, right? It gave me heartburn to request anything more from her. Over the years Ive thought a lot about what a wedding day is for, Cole said. Miki has won two Emmy Awards for new approaches to documentary programming, and a duPont Award for her immigration coverage. Emily Condon - IMDb You can also find the podcast on Stitcher, RadioPublic or the podcatcher of your choice. And Goldstein seemed genuinely intrigued. Producer Sean Cole relishes the beautiful feeling of performing weddings. Two years later, at another wedding weekend, in New York, I ran into Goldstein again. There she worked on several shows including The Nod, Undone and StartUp. Amy Paige Condon "The story itself is really interesting and obviously one reason we were drawn to it we saw it could work in this format," said Condon, who at one point ran the Oak Street Cinema near the University of Minnesota's Minneapolis campus. Read More. She used to work with literature. Read More. Season One, Episode 1: The Alibi - The New York Times Cole interviewed Goldstein and Condon together and individually before he wrote his portion of the ceremony, a technique he employs for all his weddings. At this point, I just want to figure out what it means to be her brother. Sarah, Julie and I each have a copy of this call log on our desk at all times.