The original Balkan purportedly contained latakia (I don't know if it was Syrian, Cyprian or both), Virginia (I don't know the varieties, but none of these ingredients were toasted except, of course, the latakia), high grade English Cavendish, and Yenidje from Macedonia, as advertised on the can. I am still smoking it occasionally, out of tins remaining from the 70's through the 90's. Could many honest and erudite pipe smokers be deceived . Dan Tobacco Pipe Tobacco I could not smoke this all day, but could smoke 2-3 bowls in a row if this were still obtainable. The magic of the sensory delight linked to the focus of imagination. If you can find this blend, do yourself a favor. Balkan Sobranie Original Mix Match | Smokingpipes.com I loved it. Really good stuff excellent flavor & I'm not a big Latakia fan but it facilitates this blend's sweet, creamy, smoky flavor. I don't know if he wholesaled GBD to other dealers in the U.S., but certainly he bought his stock directly, and at all times had just about every grade of every shape they made on hand and available in the periodic brochures he sent to those on his huge mailing list. Supply < Demand, . 2(No detectable difference was found when compared to Balkan Sobranie)for Only $9.95 with no limit on the number of tins!! and they are just as good if not better. Great stuff and ill be stocking up. I give it a 75. Balkan Sobranie 759 Match | Smokingpipes.com 1981, transition year to the Gallaher production, good but really just not it. This is what a pipe tobacco is supposed to be! Price: At 4noggins a tin of this new version costs $10.19. I wonder if Balksn Sobranie Smoking Mixture will ever re-emerge in the US of A as Dunhill has recently. Balkan's near universal appeal in those days to lovers of English/Balkan/Oriental blends as a steady or special smoke attests to that fact. The New Balkan Sobranie | Dutch Pipe Smoker My efforts were rewarded today with my first bowl ever of Balkan Sobranie. 10/12/07 ? There are other options like the mentioned here from Peretti and White Knight , Magnum Opus and others. Happy Smokin'. Though the original manufacturer has since ceased production, Germain's revives the iconic blend, comprising Latakia, Orientals, and Virginias for an exceptionally traditional English mixture. It is good smoke and I'm glad I got a hold of a couple of tins but, that's about it. For some reason, this seems to be listed twice here, so this review is the same as the Sobranie of London entry. The closest I've come to this heavenly blend is Macedonian Mixture by Compton's of Galashiels. I smoked it constantly from 1975 through the early eighties, sporadically since then till it's disappearance. Cyprian latakia is present along with turkish in the nose. On one hand I was glad I did, on the other I was sad because it was one of the few sachets circulating all over the world. Yes, WAS. An all day well balanced smoke. The new pouched version of Original, while good, is vastly inferior to both 759 and Original of old: not as rich, and sometimes a bit too pungent and harsh, a bit out of balance. View All (61) Balkan Sobranie Balkan Sobranie 50g Reviews. Well worth the wait , subscribe to be notified upon restock, and grab up as much as you can. After losing one of my 80s pouches to mold, I've now jarred all of them up in Mason jars in the basement and sealed them up tight. The Sobranie has the properties of the newer Sasieni in full measure; but, if there is a difference: I would describe it as softer, or less sharp! There are some very good Balkan/heavy english mixtures available,but none can ever replace Balkan Sobranie. Very happy to see it reintroduced. I have read so much about this blend I had to try it. Likewise akin to Smokers' Haven's Krumble Kake and Esoterica's Penzance in flavor and strength, but like comparing a profesional ice skater to a hockey player. For those who like how the Latakia played with the Turkish, and both were supported by Virginias, smoke either GLPease's Westminster, or Cornell & Diehl's 968R (Red Odessa). This is really your most fowl smelling tobacco! You are using an out of date browser. Dont pass up the chance to try this. 5 smooth. It has a sweet & salty flavor with an enticing aroma. It was totally different with other balkan or other latakia. Leaves the bowl clean and dry, and leaves a clean refreshed smoky palate. Customer satisfaction Over 30.000 customers. No. Very neutral aroma that does not disturbs the room. I am not going into the subtle differences of these two blends of heaven. Well, I was not dissapointed. I spend a few days carefully rehydrating the contents to the perfect RH %. When the product becomes available, the alerts will be sent in the order in which customers signed up for the alerts. It is not really bad, but something got lost in the transition. It's the real deal. Note: It is easy to go overboard with the Syrian (The stuff is so delicious! Perhaps it was the tin that attracted me, the white one with the two women on the front. It leaves a fine grey ash, and cakes poorly, so I tend to break my pipes in with something else. 2 Reviews; 2 Reviews. Under no circumstances did it live up to everything I have heard and read all this time, unless it is not the same blend any more. Is this a masterpiece Absolutely. The "Junk" you're writing about is produced by J.F. Interesting.. Package: A 50 gram tin with a somewhat cheap version of the old stately artwork. Quick view. It's one of those tobaccos that you can't help smoking an immediate second bowl of, and I caught myself doing just that numerous times. Samuel Gawaith's Balkan Flake, supposedly 30% latakia and 70% Virginia (despite the Balkan name) is a good, honest, high quality tobacco to which one could maybe add high quality Cavendish, Yenidje and deer tongue and get somewhere close to Balkan (despite Balkan Flake's caked form). Virginias, and other fine tobaccos for a bold, earthy smoking experience with notes A tin was once given to me as a Christmas gift by my sister-in-law. I can confirm that, while in decline, this blend is still a staple for any serious pipesmoker. And when dried properly, leaves no dottle in the bowl. Is this THE Balkan Sobranie? On July 1, 1968, Gallaher Tobacco acquired the blend and the trademarked name. Countless proficient blenders have tried hard to copy it. I have just recently secured a few 50gram packets of "Balkan Sobranie" Original Smoking Mixture. I think it's both over-hyped and well deserved. Moreover, I find the Yenidje and other Orientals to be more pronounced and complex than in Peases Caravan. I do not know if this is a result of aging or as it was at that time as I was an avid cigar smoker in those days and never smoked a new tin. So, I finally opened the tin and took my time burning through it. I Thought Balkan Sobranie Was Out of Production It's definitely not worth that kind of price. Never bites. in any case, all humor aside, it hasnt effected the quality of the smoke. Borkum Riff Pipe Tobacco The 1990s and later versions have drier in taste than it was in the 1980s, due to the decrease in the red Virginia, which disappeared by the mid-1990s. The Virginias had darkened quite a bit. Available for both RF and RM licensing. We used words like ?ephemeral? As for flavorits ok. Whatever Balkan Sobranie used to be (as I said, it's built on a famous name), there are numerous better, and more available, blends out there. The newer version seems to me drier, saltier and sour. identity verification to validate that fact. If this were not a gift, I could not justify the outrageous prices I have seen ($100-165. Together with Balkan Sobranie Mixture 759 and Balkan Sobranie Virginia no. . I have always liked this blend, and am in the process of smoking the last of my supply. A masterpiece, perfect to smoke in the evening. Blend with a characteristic, a bit stronger room note and taste. A couple of random memories. http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/109613-homemade-. I believe that now there are better blends of this kind. Thanks. This was a complex blend of virginias, latakia, and many exotic leaves from the Turkey/Macedonia area with names like Syrna, Izmir, Xanthi, Yenidje, etc. A cool and long-lasting smoke. Size: 1.76 Oz. I am smoking this in my wide chambered Savinelli Baronet Bruyere 315 EX PrinceThe smoke is exotic, well rounded and brightly mouth filling, running the entire length of the palate.There is so much going on, but still the flavours seamlessly intertwine tip to tail and even marry. I have several cans of each stashed away, based on the raving advice of a friend and colleague. I must confess I did not notice the Turkish in the beginning but later during the smoking it came to my attention and the experience was not all that superb. Ones ?below? Lights easily. So the turkish varieties did it, fine. I kept the tin unsmoked for quite long time, just opening it and smelling that wonderful aroma. Penzance now that is another story :) Hope this helps those who can't get their hands on it I speak the truth, my friends. The tin note is unmistakably dominated by the Latakia, but the Orientals and Virginias in the right proportion also add a lively distinction of their own. Nice english, occasionally a hint of soap on the lat. I get my email notification go straight there to order & poof gone! Many other blends have the same problem. Rather sweet base, campfire room note. Together with Penzance some of the best tin-smells ever. When Germain reintroduced the Sobranie Original Mixture, I was eager to try it. No Virginia top notes here. Hours of Operation: Our website is always open and you can place an order at any time. . Add to Wishlist. Whatever or however the process, this is the Holy Grail of pipe tobacco. Rattray's did not come close at all. (By the way, the letters die-stamped on GBDs indicated which subcontracted carver had done the pipe after initial curing. I rarely smoke now. Afterwards, it loaded nicely and lit without trouble. Watch City's "Nor'easter" (Bulk by the Ounce) Watch City Tobacco Co. $5.49 Named for the infamous New England Winter . You must be 21 years or older to make any selections on this site - by doing so, you are confirming that you are of legal age to purchase tobacco products or smoking accessories. It is quite close to the original Sobranie, although like Balkan Sasieni it uses generic oriental rather than Yenidje. Try some Prilep. I never had the original one, but this tobacco is quite good in its own right. I suppose I should move on and find something that grants me such pleasure again. And long gone. Here's a current review for March 2018. Perhaps all of the above. I've never had any version other than Germain's entry and again it's "Junk"! Those were the three pipes he believed in, BBB, Petersen, Comoy, Sasieni and even Barling having already begun to slide. The strength is mild to medium and nic is mild. He also was the proprietor of the finest tobacconist in town; alas defunct due to the health Luddites and their diligent spreading of manure. Sobranie of London was able, in the old days, to procure the finest Yenidje tobacco. Before the (retroactive) taste test, here's some more history. Is it back in production or is this old stock? A year later in 1966, I graduated to a curved Briar pipe and the Sobranie Original Mixture. copyright intellectual property of the reviewer and STC Holdings LLC and may not be I don't remember seeing 759 until Balkan was sold. During the pursuit of perfection, excellence was achieved. Pipeworks and Wilke has two blends with Yenidje: No. Purchased From: Some tobacconist in Spain. As Balkan blends are a bit lighter on the Latakia and heavy on the Orientals it is a bit different than a regular English blend, but not as light as P resbyterian Mixture. The flavor becomes more balanced as you get into the first quarter of the bowl. It was truly like meeting an old friend, after many years of not seeing them, and picking right up where we left off. follow discussion on this recipe here and if you have anything to add please chime in. He considered the Cognac the perfect shape, growing thicker as the smoke proceeded, keeping the pipe cool. The Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture Pipe Tobacco Under no circumstances did it live up to everything I have heard and read all this time, unless it is not the same blend any more. Won't bite or get harsh. Its post-modern re-incarnation, BALKAN SASIENI, is the same mix, yet not the same mix at all: the grade of tobaccos and the proportions may be the same, but modern-day orientals seem to be blander, more generic than formerly, and the Cypriot ?latakia?, a nice tobacco in itself, is like California ?chablis? Room note is a killer to those who don't smoke. It's similar to Sasieni, just the balance of the blend is more harmonious. And sometimes I cut in some Turkish. A calm and smooth creamy smoke with hints of that 'Turkish' taste here and there - but they are very very mild indeed; so mild that you will often forget that they are even there. I simply loved the flavor. This is fact for both, The Balkan Sobranie and the 759 Mixture. Low and behold a yahoo mail message pops up at the top of my screen saying its in stock on Friday the 13th. Having said that, however, this old Balkan Sobranie White (truly made by Sobranie) is the best tobacco I've ever, ever smoked. I'd do it again. I fell in love with it immediately, my stable of english blends are rather limited since I reach for it only when in the mood for Latakia which is about once or twice a week, I have to add that this is a blend, not a latakia orgy which really agreed with me. So you should keep that in mind reading this review. Hopefully, the rumors are true that this is being brought back blended by Germain. The above review doesn't cover the current version. Balkan Sobranie - L.J. Peretti But having the rights is 1 thing, bringing out the tobacco on the market is something veeeery different. The year tells you how good it is. The Orientals (Macedonia being one of them) provide a lot of earth, wood, floralness, a light dry sourness and buttery sweetness, along with a little spice and leather as a supporting player. Tobacco Shop in Roanoke, Virginia, USA. It was like a big glorious hit of midnote with some bottom. The stars are unrelated to this spectacular tobacco. It was an occasional treat, like the driest gin. It's a slow burning, cool and dry smoke with an incense like aroma, very smooth. It is easy for me to say that Balkan Sobranie is/was my favorite tobacco of all time. 4-5 lights to start and it would go out ocasionally. If I had plenty of money, I'd have more Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture. My friends i have just opened a 200gr tin of Sobranie Original and i am smoking it in a Dunhill group5 shell aplle. Balkan Sobranie Pipe Tobacco (1.76oz) - Hiland's Cigars It is not nearly as heavy with Latakia that Penzance is, nor is it quite as creamy regarding the mouth feel although there's some. In another order of things, the scores here should be granted for the tobacco's quality and not because someone failed to buy it. Had a pleasant, lightly lingering after taste and room note. This one is smooth and bold with good sourness from the orientals and slight smoke from the Latakia. Four stars despite the number of changes that occurred. I've always been curious about which type of Latakia was used maybe both? It works for me. What I'm amazed to see is how much wrong info circulates about this tobacco now. The virginias provide a solid backdrop for the supporting cast of Turkish tobacco of which, to my tastes at least, Smyrna (not izmir) is the star. . Rarely, is that the case with a balkan. Similar Blends: No other Balkan on the planet I've tried tastes as good but some have come close Really good stuff & I'm not a big Latakia fan but it facilitates this blend's sweet, creamy, smoky flavor. It has a peaty, brackish astringency that is quite unique as a taste?it reminds me of some olives, in a way. Easily qualifies as a "five" star blend IMHO, of course!! However, how does one describe the indescribable? If all this good smoke is coming from the tobaccos alone, that's incrediblealmost magical! The smoke is creamy and smooth. Sutliff Balkan Sobranie #759 Match, sold by Oz - CupOJoes.com The nicotine content is not heavy at all, but a solid medium. Davidoff Pipe Tobacco Turkish and VA dominate the aroma, but latakia is still there firmly. Well, not a real review, just sharing my story. I was gifted a fair number of bowls of the new Germain production BS and smoked it side by side with my remaining 1990's era BS. Since 1912, Providing Premium Cigars, Quality Pipes, High Grade Pipe Tobacco, But. Now I am back to the pipe after a time out for raising two great sons. Perhaps all of the above. Thanks for the recommendations! It's simply that good. leaves fingers a bit sticky from the natural tobacco oils, not from humectants. After reading the whole story about Balkan Sobranie I decided to buy a pack og 50g Gallaher packed tobacco, just to see will it live up to the reputation. Noooo idea, I've never smoked that one like I said before. The special cut of Virginia & Perique has a place in almost anyone's rotation. 309 South Jefferson Street, Roanoke, VA 24011 Toll Sweet, soft, creamy, leathery, a perfect balance between its components. Deep, rich, tarry, resinous. I used to smoke this tobacco mixture back in the early 90s. Unequalled tobacco, this mixture remains a mystery. I need to first say that below, Leiconnsel's review must be the gold standard for all reviews on this amazing blend. Actually another word comes to mind, but we'll leave it at junk for the younger more impressionable segment of our fellow readers. Sorry, persons under the age of 18 cannot use this site. Like probably so many other pipers, I eagerly awaited the opportunity to find this blend in stock and purchase. This is not merely a Balkan, it can be said this is possibly the Balkan that the term Balkan refers to about similar blends. Never had the chance to try this one, because It's never in stock, I use to check it here every day for a year, I gave up. Rich and full of flavor this blend is a satisfying smoke to be savored slowly. Smoked Balkan Supreme.love yet again. Its tangy,Smokey and sweet at the same time. This is my first and regretfully one of few remaining experiences with this wonderful tobacco; angels doing the tango on my tongue. 2000-2023 Laudisi Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved. I was fortunate enough to come across some on ebay at a resoanble price (of course it was only for the packaging). Close . Nevertheless, if you palate is not used to the strength of mixtures like the Dunhill my mix 965 and similar, you will not enjoy this blend very much. Sampled from a fairly fresh 50g pouch which would be almost twenty years old by now. Unlike most Latakia blends, the room not of Balkan Sobranie is rich and pleasant, think incense or a just-spent fire. Balkan Sobranie Pipe Tobacco | Smokingpipes.com 1.75 oz. The tobacco was a little wet in the tin so some airtime was mandatory. I've never smoked anything like it before or since. Yesterday I opened my last remaining pouch of the 1994 Sobranie Mixture, to see whether it would bring back memories. The tobacco cut varies from rough to smooth and needs a bit of a rubbing out to help it burn evenly. Germain & Son. Unfortunately, there was no Original Mixture. More so, for instance, than the "Frog Morton" which leans toward the Latakia; or Bill Bailey's, which is "over the edge" with Latakia. Very nice Balkan blend. This is a blend made for thoughtful and careful puffing. This review is for the old, original Balkan Sobranie, prior to the removal from the US market. You see, this story is what I think of when I hear the name Sobranie. Posted by mark on 20th Dec 2022 . Here this rare feature stretches and completes the finish.For everything else polished and majestic that Balkan Sobranie displays; this is the one virtue that crystallises the experience and it and sets it apart. No pipecleaner needed during the smoke. If you smoke yourself you will not notice that but people around you will utter their displeasure. I feel very fortunate to be able to have enough of this legendary tobacco to offer this, my first review. Blended and aged in the British Isles, Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking The Gallager version is, to my taste, rich and satisfying; smokes cool and is perfectly balanced between components. During the pursuit of perfection, excellence was achieved. The orientals jump to the fore at the match, producing thick clouds of creamy, heavy smoke. I have not tried either yet. It is almost all black and had compressed, so I broke it and rubbed it out. I don't know any of the ingredient ratios, but I was told that the ratios changed every year to compensate for seasonal changes in the individual ingredients' strength and taste.