The Beatles played at the stadium on August 16, 1966. This was the first concert I ever went to. The Dead closed the show with "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"; it would be the last song played at the stadium. I still remember this giant beach ball thing being kicked around the stadium. Journey headlined a concert June 4, 1983. Best Fourth: July 4, 1976 | Expect the Unexpected 1976 | In 1976, actress Jane Fonda relaxes by the sea. 1976 Bicentennial Kennedy Half Dollar $1,000.00 $5.15 shipping or Best Offer 1976 D MEMORIAL CENT MINT ERROR ANACS MS-62 RB - OFF CENTER - CERTIFIED SLAB -1C $59.00 $4.00 shipping or Best Offer 1776-1976D Kennedy Half Dollar With MAJOR DIE CLASH ERROR $29.95 Free shipping or Best Offer SPONSORED Liz Cheney lands new gig with University of Virginia as she mulls 2024 We were up in the seats looking down on the crowd when everyone started throwing eveyrthingit looked so funny from up high, like locust descended on the crowd! That was also the first time with a girl I met, we went into the men's room. I was not privledged to be at Woodstock but this is probably the closest I will ever get to a day of Peace, Love and Music. The Rolling Stones. Please tell me someone else remembers Ronnie Van Zant in his bare feet. The show was headlined by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and also featured Sting, Tracy Chapman, Peter Gabriel, Youssou N'Dour and Joan Baez. Frampton was at the peak of his career at that time, but Yes was still going strong especially in Philly. JFK Stadium was one of fifteen United States stadia (and along with Franklin Field, also in Philadelphia) inspected by a five-member FIFA committee in April 1988 in the evaluation of the United States as a possible host of the 1994 FIFA World Cup. Wow what a concert. On June 26, 1957, a 150-lap NASCAR convertible race was held at the Stadium, which was won by Bob Welborn in a 1957 Chevrolet. My best friend and I went to the stadium after a party and a few doobs. They also began their 6th U.S. tour on September 25, 1981. They were boring. I was only 14 at the time and couldn't believe my parents let me go. The warning before Yes came on to get off the light towers because anyone up there would be fried. Really when they came on the stage I didn't realize it was the Mummers and I didn't really know who Gary Wright was except for Dream Weaver. people were throwing ropes over the side so there freinds could clime up the side of the statium. After gaining entry and making a mad dash to get close to the front, I got split up,. But yeah, There was 130,000 people there., Apocalypse Chris walked me outside the bar and talked with me and Randy would could not come in because he was not 21, talked with us some more and asked not to tell those with us because he did not want a riot or something like that. I do remember it being quite the show, with fabulous lighting, songs and sound! Opening acts included Bob Marley's former bandmate Peter Tosh and Foreigner. 07/04/1972. The walk took 18 minutes. In those days, you could bring that stuff into the stadiums. The Dead closed the show with "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"; it would be the last song played at the stadium. He was great with his handheld keyboard. Journey headlined a concert June 4, 1983. benefit concert on September 19, 1988, for which attendance was about 80,000 people. Two other highlights of the day were watching Joe Jackson at the Mann scold the crowd for whistling during one of his songs. And everyone that was there that just helped make my journey through concert life the best. However, even that crowd was swallowed up in the environment. Check out YES set list & some vintage 76 video of the band. the moon. . I was about to introduce myself when Chris said to me "My names Chris, What's yours? I'm glad I was a part of this concert, as it appears it was yes's largest show ever. Gary Wright Peter Frampton and an outstanding Yes. "Bud" Dudley, a former Villanova University athletic-director, created the Liberty Bowl in Philadelphia in 1959. John F. Kennedy Stadium (Philadelphia) Wiki - everipedia.org I missed the glory days but the stories i've heard make me realize what a great time it was for u people. JBCOINSINC 292K subscribers Join Subscribe 220K views 4 years ago These 1776-1976 Bicentennial Kennedy half dollars are worth money and we'll. Had never experienced anything like the lasers with the incredible sound inside the stadium. The US Bicentennial band was one of the finest musical ensembles ever to be organized. A bunch of us came down From Allentown to see this show. Simply perfect. This was one one my favorite concerts ever and Yes was fantastic just like they where a couple days later in Jersey. 1976 bicentennial concert jfk stadium - albakricorp.com best foods to regain strength after covid; retrograde jupiter in 3rd house; jerry brown linda ronstadt; storm huntley partner It was so good! We're goin!!" On June 20, 1981, The Allman Brothers Band, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, 38 Special and The Marshall Tucker Band played at The Roundup. Through 1989, the Broad Street Run course ended with a lap around the track at the stadium. This would become significant the next day. Clap The Bob Welch and Steve Miller sets were marred by PA system problems. THE BEST CONCERT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!! the weed,the hash. people were trying to clime over the barbed wire and geting cut up only to be kicked out if they did make it over. RFK Stadium | The Concert Database I went with my sister Denise and friends. If you look back today on this concert, the choice of acts was quite strange. All the bands were fantastic. Download the app to LISTEN LIVE wherever you are and connect with us like never before. Then, the sunburn we all had made our body temperature feel like death. Looking back at that bill it was probably one of the best southern rock lineups ever to play the same stage in one day. Thanks for your great synopsis of the day. Yes played on. Got there early and decided to sit with my then high school graduate friends. The shape of the stadium resembles the horseshoe configuration of Harvard Stadium built in 1903. It could have gone so wrong, but we were all so cool in a much different time. Rolling Stones 1978 tour was a great summer. Then the crowd mutinyed.Everything and anything that could be thrown was.They took the hint.Everyone cheered when they left.The next act was the puser bandI don't remeber themI remember a band but I think the crowd was booing them to get off. Thanks for being there. I remember the day starting off with the fairly long early morning drive from NYC, where I grew up, to Philly for the event. Jon mentioned it about 20 minutes into the show. We found one of the doors that had no people in front of and sat down waitng for the time when the would open the doors. One member of the crowd yelled to him, " you're in Philadelphia Joe". Why? But the food flight.(I don't think I'll forget a bunch of us grabbing our blankets, holding them over our heads and putting our girlfriends in the middle so theu wouldn't get hit) AWSOME CONCERT!!! Then Yes came on. We ended up on the 50 yard line right next to the sound booth tower. I felt safe.and whenever I hear Frampton it's amazing after all these years I still close my eyes and go right back. Dudley moved the game to Memphis in 1965 where it has been played since. We were the first fuckin' act of the day. I know this is a Yes sight, but Frampton was equal to the Yes performance. Madonna. The Grateful Dead were only allowed to perform due to strict no-smoking regulations that had been enacted some time before. I graduated high school that day. The show was headlined by Sting and Peter Gabriel and also featured Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Tracy Chapman, Youssou N'Dour and Joan Baez. how i carried him pass the crowd sitting on the steps and into a bathroom with 2 inches of urine on the floor was a different story. 2022 _ AcademiaLab People don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Check out YES' set list & some vintage '76 video of the band. #TBTXPN: A 1976 Philly summer of rock: Elvis, Elton, and the But that one was the most memorable. We proceeded to go to Every YES tour after that. U2 performed at the stadium on September 25, 1987, during their Joshua Tree Tour, in front of a crowd of 86,145 people. On September 23, 1926, an announced crowd of 120,557 packed the then-new Stadium during a rainstorm to witness Gene Tunney capture the world heavyweight boxing title from Jack Dempsey. Yes and Peter Frampton recreate '76 Philly concert tonight at Tower Theater. Now for the highlights. 2022 (MMXXII) was a common year beginning on a Saturday in the Gregorian calendar, the number 2022 anno Domini, in addition to the twenty-second year of the 21st century and the 3rd millennium.It was the third year of the 2020s and the second of the 3rd decade of the 21st century. . I remember driving over with Dominic and someone else playing the The Who's Next. The Bell seemed to give the WFL instant credibility when it announced a crowd of 55,534 for the home opener, and 64,719 for the second home game. 1976 bicentennial concert jfk stadium - lindoncpas.com I'll never forget my mom said, "I remember what it was like to be young." The incredible heat, people getting hosed down, food flying. John F. Kennedy (3) Joshua L. Chamberlain (2) Ladd and Whitney (1) Library (23) LIBRARY LIST (4) Library Visits (90) Rolling Stones 1978 06.17 - rirocks.net On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. i was 16 and a big yes fan. The Liberty Bowl's best game was its first in 1959, when 38,000 fans watched Penn State beat Alabama 70. I remember feeling sorry for the Mummers while wondering WHY were they on stage at a rock concert!? July 4th, 1976 Original Laminate. Damage to the stage was estimated at a million dollars as smoke came pouring out marring an otherwise great day of vintage Rolling Stones. Don't buy my real estate investing course: https://www.trader.university/courses/5721-real-estate-investing-made-easy Use the discount code YT99 to get the best price . Opening acts were Journey and George Thorogood & the Destroyers. The Jacksons performed four concerts at JFK Stadium on September 1, 2 and 28, 29, 1984 during their Victory Tour. SKU: cd-Rolling-stone-12297 Categories: new-2022, Rolling-Stones Tags: 1981 ), PA, Philadelphia . Had two twelve year old kids sit in front of us that smoked at least twenty joints in three hours. This time the opening acts were R.E.M., Madness, and Joan Jett. And Debbie?? Got therea t 10 AM to get a decent seat in the bleachers on the right side of the stage. Thanks to all! The rest of the show was spectacular. JFK Stadium's 1976 Concert History - Concert Archives Dream Weaver received a lot of applause. 06/12/1976 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania There was like 6 or 8 of us that met up there from Woodbury. All in all one of the most memorable concerts I was ever at. Each section of the main portion of the stadium contained its own entrance, which displayed the letters of each section above the entrance, in a nod to ancient Roman stadia. What a lineup and what a perfect setting. A few minutes later several other's started climbing some of the other towers. The game was played at Municipal Stadium and was the only cold-weather bowl game of its time. The South Philadelphia stadium was on the east side of the far southern end of Broad Street at a location now part of the South Philadelphia Sports Complex. This show provided the majority of the concert footage for an NFL Films produced documentary called "Journey, Frontiers and Beyond". There I saw Roger Dean's sets , Alan White's kit, and last and most memorable, Patrick Moraz's Orchestron. LS had the crowd up and dancing, screaming and stomping around with their energy! Forgotten Yesterdays 1996-2023. I remember just feeling no fear. In 2010, the concert recording was released on a CD/DVD combination, titled Crimson White & Indigo. Pacific Gas & Electric. what a show. 1976 Bicentennial Concert - YouTube Skip navigation Sign in 0:00 / 1:23:40 1976 Bicentennial Concert 485 views Nov 22, 2016 1 Dislike Share Save GoYotes 1.22K subscribers Subscribe Audio. The day before, I obtained from "Fish" a ball of Lebonese pre-civil war hash the size of a golf ball. Going by instinct and finding my way. No one had any food or drink and I only had $2 to purchase the Wawa orange drink that was 75 cents each. Commonwealth professor of English and former U.S. poet laureate Rita Dove receives the 2011 National Medal of Arts from President Barack Obama. The stadium played host to the Monsters of Rock Festival Tour, featuring Van Halen, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica and Kingdom Come, on June 11, 1988. I remember getting sun burnt during the day and freezing at nightstill loved it. Saw Pousette Dart open for Yes in 1976 at Hampton, Va and immediately went out and bought their album. Got there early (parked on the golf course in Roosevelt Park). [5] The Pennsylvania Railroad and its successors, Penn Central and Conrail, offered game-day service to all Army-Navy games, using a sprawling temporary station constructed each year on the railroad's nearby Greenwich freight yard. [citation needed], The Frankford Yellow Jackets also played here intermittently until the team's demise in 1931. Age has settled in me now, but I love that I appreciate it more now. With a group of teens my age that needed a ride back over the bridge. George Quinn / Chicago Tribune Flags fly from every house in the 7100 block of South Wabash Avenue on July 4, 1961. I have been observing this web page for awhile and came across the reviews of this show. The Beatles played at the stadium on August 16, 1966.. Judy Garland gave her last concert in America here in 1968.. i arrived early enough with my friends to settle in front of the stage on the field, but we decided to sit all the way up the stands to the left and front (if facing the stage. Was a junior in High School at the time and a group of four of us went down to JFK for a momentous day. The Bicentennial Jam 7-4-1976 Rockford IL concert, with Head East, Derringer, Frank Marino, Ted Nugent, Foghat [19][20][21][22], The 1993 Philadelphia stop for the Lollapalooza music festival was held at the JFK Stadium site on July 18, 1993. I could be wrong (uptown).but the place went crazy(being philly) golden slippers.the mistake the mummers made was playing a second song. I'm so glad I found this site. The stadium's first tenants (in 1926) were the Philadelphia Quakers of the first American Football League, whose Saturday afternoon home games were a popular mainstay of the Exposition. i'd smack him two or three times, bang his head on the bench till his eyes opened, rolled to the back of his head and then up front again to stare at me and then complain that he had to go to the boys room to pee. To accommodate the anticipated ticket demand, the game was moved from Shibe Park; this proved to be a wise decision, as the contest drew a then NFL-record 71,237nearly doubling the Eagles' prior attendance mark of 38,230. Groves Stadium, Winston, NC. 1976 Bicentennial half dollars worth money! Rare 1976 Kennedy half The Spirit of '76. AWSOME CONCERT!!! JFK Stadium hosted Team America's soccer match against England on May 31, 1976 as part of the 1976 U.S.A. John F. Kennedy Stadium (Philadelphia) Explained Six Op Sail events have been held to date, in 1964, 1976, 1986, 1992, 2000 and 2012. Jun 12, 1976. And yes, I was there! WOW! The fight started kin the stage area and resembled the wave as it went around the stadium. [citation needed], The stadium became known chiefly as the "neutral" venue for a total of 41 annual ArmyNavy Games played there between 1936 and 1979. Well, not so much a streaker as a stroll by nude guy burnt red. I'm a 48 yr. old mom of 6 grown kids (the youngest 4 are in college) and was scrapbooking my Peter Frampton Sept. '06 Keswick Theater concert tickets and photos today when I decided to dig for my Frampton/YES June 12, 1976 memorabilia in my OLD scrapbooks.I spent 8 hrs. After The Stones finished their set, rowdy concert goers began throwing anything they could get, onto the stage that was shaped into The Rolling Stones "tongue" logo. I mean hot. what was the last concert at jfk stadium - gengno.com They. )of the stage on or about the 25 yard line. Five years later, the Philadelphia Phillies won their first World Series on October 21 of that year. Credit Gary with getting it going. They must have felt like dirt as not a soul listened to them. I am now 60 years old but remember this concert like it was yesterday. Fans at the show recall concrete crumbling and bathrooms in poor shape. A few minutes later several other's started climbing some of the other towers. Genesis was the headliner and used the open air stadium for one of their spectacular nighttime laser and fireworks shows. Anyway.., dubbed as the "1976 Bicentennial Concert", this Yes concert followed just a few days before their 6/17/76 legendary performace at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ. One other thing that does stand out in my memory is in the middle of the night, some people broke into a trailer in the parking lot which was being used to store hundreds of cases of orange drink cartons. The Bicentennial Cup Tournament was an international association football competition, which took place in May 1976 in the United States. The sound was Great.Maraz taking over for Wakeman wasn't as good but he held his on.And then this eyethat looked like the space ship from war of the world(the original)came down from the top of the stage first there was one green light shooting out from it, then two,then four, and next thing the beams are all over the place.moving to the music.If you were high your still looking for a way out. what was the last concert at jfk stadium. Does anybody remember the bathroom wait? I remember going early in the day with several of my older brothers friends in a van,because he couldn't make it.The warm up acts were pretty good and the fact I went the next year when lynyrd Skynyrd played as the lead up band for Frampton MAKES ME MIX UP SOME OF THE ACTS.I believe the first day Dickie Betts played a set and I know the Philadelphia Mummers were booed off the stage,Gary Wright also played,howeveer that may have been the next year.I was only 15 years old at the time of the first concert and was stoned to the bejeezus belt on some very good Columbian Gold.This was before sinsamelia started to arrive on the scene and I also remember taking a rohrer 714,which was the precursor for lemon 714's.Anyway Frampton was incredible and his album Framptom comes alive was relatively new and had only been dropped shortly before this concert.It was about 97 degrees at 4 in the afternoon and I had been pounding these orange drink cartons they were selling all day long,as had everyone around me.Suddely after Frampton in the very late afternoon someone started throwing these orange drink cartons and before you knew it,there were literally hundreds of thousands,if not millions of these cartons flying through the air for at least a half an hour and probably much longer.I wouldn't have been aware of time at this point in the concert and was blown out of my helmet but I'll never forget this awesome site of all of these crushed orange boxes flying through the air throughout JFK stadium and close to 150,000 thousand people all having a blast.Yes played at night and wee awesome aS WELL,HOWEVER IT BEGAN TO GET COLD AFTER SITTING THROUGH THE EXTREME HEAT ALL DAY,BUT I JUST DROPPED ANOTHER QUALLUDE AND ENJOYED THE REST OF THE SHOW.This was definetly in the top 5 concerts of all time for me and probably in ther top 3 along with Led Zeppelin 2 years earliwer when I was really just a kid and Pink Floyd a couple of yers later.Thge trash fight however is something I'll never forget and aS Awesome as the music was,the sight of these orange drink boxes filling the air will never,wever leave my mind.Simply awesome and not any violence or bad vibes,just a good time hurling trash and seeing a sky of these boxes eclipsing the entire stadium and JFK was a really big stadium!!!!!!!!! Opening acts included Bob Marley's former bandmate Peter Tosh and Foreigner. No I remember they played in the bright daylight, just before a big name band, maybe it was Gary Wright. It doesn't matter how good we were, you wouldn't recognize it. Somewhere around 10:00pm or so, YES does a sound check. definition - John F. Kennedy Stadium - sensagent The day was hot at the beginning, long, and the night got very chilly, as I recall. Two years later, the National Football League awarded another team to the city, the Philadelphia Eagles. 1976 bicentennial concert jfk stadiumLabinsky Financial . But she did. Mick Jagger met the press at JFK Stadium on August 26, 1981, to announce the tour. I think there was music that day. They disbanded shortly thereafter, due to guitarist Chris Stein being diagnosed with a rare life-threatening disease, pemphigus and The Hunter having sold very poorly. Phil Collins performed at Wembley Stadium, traveled by helicopter to Heathrow Airport, flew to Philadelphia via Concorde supersonic jet and performed at JFK Stadium. I was reminded of this show when I saw them again years later in the Philly area in '94 on the Summer Solstice outdoors under a full moon. I was there and had forgotten some of what's been written, but I remember it now. If my kids ever do something like that I'll be scared to death. Great set and at his peak. You showed up to see Yes & Frampton, and you hear something you've never heard before and you don't recognize that it's good.