You are not my life. To what degree should the outside be changed? If you have an opportunity to go and follow a different religion that rejects the Lord Jesus Christ, that in sin. Were you circumcised? by Alistair Begg. In the process, the theological reason for it will emerge also. No new uncircumcised believer in Christ was required to become circumcised or to hold to the traditions passed on by Moses. You have a master, its the Lord Jesus Christ. So all Christians, and only Christians, are called in this sense. John Piper Dec 9, 1984. 21 Were you a bondservant when called? Paul is a very unfashionable thinker and, therefore, eternally relevant. This is all made clear in 1 Corinthians 1. Now if we read the word called as it is translated there it almost sounds like what Paul is saying is that we are called to these assignments. All Videos Images Commentaries Devotionals Other Translations Sermons Related Scriptures Podcasts Blogs. But if you translate it as a command to seek freedom, the true point of the passage is obscured. It declares to us how much it is that Jesus transforms the life of whoever trusts in Him. But their husbands or wives had not done so. It may be that He calls us to that place for the initial stages of our walk with Him; and all so that He can train us for what He has for us in the future. Search. It will transform and transcend everything else you do. Regardless of your circumstances. He has sovereignly called us as He did for a purpose. In verse 21, he wrote, Were you called while a slave? He used circumcision and slavery as illustrations to describe God's sovereignty over the social and religious barriers of his day. Part 3: Sending the Spirit, John 8:12-30 Study Guide: I am the Light of the World, John 8:31-47 Study Guide: The Truth Will Set You Free, John 8:48-59 Study Guide: Before Abraham Was, \"I am\", John 10:1-21 Study Guide: The Good Shepherd, John 10:22-42 Study Guide: Safe in the Father\'s Hand, Jonah 1 Study Guide: Defiance and Discipline, Jonah 2 Study Guide: Salvation Belongs to the Lord, Jonah 3 Study Guide: The God of Second Chances. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.) When Jesus said in Matthew 22:14, "Many are called, but few are chosen," he referred to the world-wide call of the gospel which many people hear and reject to their own doom. Its the principle that, when God the Father calls us into a relationship with Himself through faith in Jesus and we become new creations in Christ, we should not take this to mean that everything about our outward life now needs to be abandoned, or that we must now start life over again from scratch. Yet he realized that was the greatest joy that he had. You are where you are by divine assignment, even if you got there by fraud. This is a word that is so often translated in the gospel of John and the letters of John as the word abide. Once the person came the sign gave way to a reality. Now Paul talks about those who are slaves or free. This idea of effectual calling when we are drawn out of our sin to Jesus Christ, that is included in the assignments in which the calling finds us. And what we all need to hear is that what lies most on the heart of God is not whether we move from one to the other, but whether in our present work we are enjoying God's promised presence and obeying his commands in the way we do our work. I think Paul himself might be a good example for us in this. He looks to the slave who may feel hopeless and says, "In Christ you are a free man. Encourage my heart when I tend to despair, and humble me when I tend to boast. The calling is the call to believe upon the Lord Jesus Christ. Devote yourself to that with all your heart, and take whatever job you want. Imagine you had the opportunity to work for that person as a low-level staffer at the White House. Fourth, and finally, this text implies that the job you now have, as long as you are there, is God's assignment to you. With long-suffering and prayer and humble, exemplary conduct, the believing partner longs to win the unbeliever. The Bible tells us that. 2. To be perpetually mindful of his presence and favor. We do have assignments from the Lord, but the important thing is that call. In whatever place of life we were in, at that time when we were called by God to place our faith in Jesus and trust Him as our Savior, we are to remain there as if with God. In other words, in communion with God this would secure their contentment and happiness. You can't be white if you want to be accepted." Romans 3:23 - 24: "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The calling of life has been provided by nothing less than the blood of Jesus Christ and the faith that he gives us by the Holy Spirit. Let him not seek circumcision.1 Corinthians 7:18, ESV This is my rule in all the churches. Those arent even the right questions to ask.Instead we need to ask how do I serve Christ and others here, right now in these relationships, in these circumstances that God has put me? They may look the same on the outside, but their inner beingtheir spiritis completely transformed. Never mind." Paul gives a resounding no in verse 3. I have no doubt that, if all our young people are bending every effort to stay close to God and to obey the commands of Scripture, God will distribute them in the world exactly where he wants their influence for him. Notice, for example, how he illustrated this to us in terms of outward traditions. Application. 20 Each one should remain in the condition in which he was called. Then Paul turns in verses 2123 to apply his principle to the issue of whether one is a slave or a freedman. And then, Paul went on to give us another illustrationthis one having to do with social structures. I have a responsibility to my wife that no one in heaven or earth shares. But it may be, as Jesus predicted in Matthew 10:34ff., that the rebellion and unbelief of the unbelieving spouse will turn Christianity into a sword that severs, instead of a peaceful balm that heals. A- He has discussed marriage and divorce. Its in almost every verse. Was anyone at the time of his call uncircumcised? 24 and are . The first time is in verse 17; where Paul writes, But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk.. Let him not seek circumcision. Wherever you are now, reject a consumers mindset where you just want to take and instead embrace a servant mindset. Our new Preaching Suite solution makes it easy to prepare, preach and archive your sermons. How do I sort through my own mixed emotions when Im trying to make decisions on how to live in the various circumstances of my life? Third, for you younger people who have not entered a profession yet, the implication of our text is this: When you ask yourself the question, "What is God's will for my life?" 1 Corinthians 7:17,20 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. 17 Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. 11 (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.1 Corinthians 7:11, ESV Many of them demanded that the Gentiles who were coming to Christ now needed to become circumcised and to follow the traditions passed on by Moses. The word that occurs in each statement of the principle and nine times altogether in this paragraph is the word "call." a. . That would have been a true statement. The main point of my message this morning can be stated as a declaration and as a prayer. The Bible is an objective word; and it speaks objectively to some situations.There are other situations that are subjective. Before we read it, let's orient ourselves from the preceding context. Paul has already used this word a few times and its good to look back and see them. With God! Between the bottom two pieces are verses 2123 where the principle is applied to slavery and freedom. The word of God for all us "success seekers" is this: Take all that ambition and drive that you are pouring into your upward mobility and pour it instead into a spiritual zeal to cultivate an enjoyment of God's presence and obedience to his revealed will in Scripture. In the last analysis, nothing else will matter but that. We should stay where our Lord has called usso long as He has us therebecause thats the place where He wants us to serve as His faithful missionaries to others that are in our life. They are made brand new on the inside. Do you have to become a member of a different people group? The Holy Spirit living in us helps us to walk through life in a new way. Either way, we belong completely to Jesus as His new creations. Paul's first application of the principle is not to vocation, but to circumcision and uncircumcision. 23 You were bought with a price; do not become bondservants of men.1 Corinthians 7:23, ESV So, as a church we are not separated as this holy huddle that is kept away from all peoples everywhere. What did I say, what didnt I say? Are you single, married? Christianity is a message that the calling of God transformations whatever you are doing so that you can remain there. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. A believing husband should not divorce his unbelieving wife, and a believing wife should not divorce her unbelieving husband. (All Scripture is taken from The New King James Version, unless otherwise indicated). Father we ask that you will give us grace to seek you, to seek your will, to seek your favor, especially as we wrestle though a thousand difficult questions. Prepare your messages on God's Word in 1 Corinthians with sermon outlines or an . And likewise, the Bible tells us that we are not our own, but that we have been purchased at the cost of the blood of Jesuseven if, culturally speaking, we are now in a state of freedom. Dont put yourself in slavery because you were brought with a price. Remain, if you are free as you are. 1- They seem to be looking to Paul as an example for the Christian life. The "called" are not all who hear the preaching, but those who receive it as wisdom. So, Paul then gives a principle. Am I perhaps seeing signs, I got this parking spot here, I got a phone call there, is God speaking to me by his providence? I have to think about my actions, what did I do, what didnt I do? Specifically, Paul talks about the divisions between the Jews and the Gentiles. That is the great message of this mornings passage. Everything, everything falls before the priority of God. 1 Corinthians 7:17-24 A Sermon By Scott Lindsay We are continuing this morning in our study of Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians, picking up at verse 17 of chapter 7 and working through to verse 24 of that same chapter. Search the scriptures, but not for an answer. Or am in I the right marriage, the answer to that is yes if you are married. This is my rule in all the churches. 1 Corinthians 7:17-24 Live as You Are Called 17 Only let each person lead the life3 lthat the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. . 1 Corinthians 7:17-24 April 21, 2002 Intro: Again Paul seems to be alluding to a series of questions presented to him. Stay in the relationship you were in when God called you to faith. It was to be a follower of the traditions of the Jewish people. ", 18245 NW Germantown Road Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Let him not seek to remove the marks of circumcision. As a tax collector, he was a sinful man. View all of our resources on the biblical book of 1 Corinthians. He ought to be able to say, "Never mind." I know what God has called me to be to my family and I know that this job will take time away from me which will cut into the way that I should be loving my family and the way that I should be serving in my church and my neighbors. Its important to remember that when someone comes to faith in Jesus, it wasnt only thenat that momentthat God had begun to work in their lives. This passage teaches us that we can all calm down; we dont have to get anxious about our calling in life. The Bible tells us that there are two elements of this. It was like picking up a part time job to pay off a credit card bill, except you did give away your freedom to do this. We can paraphrase the verses to show the difference between the general call and the effective call: Paul says, "We call everyone to believe in Christ crucified, but many Jews find this call to be a stumbling block, and many Gentiles find this call to be foolishness, but those who are called (that is, powerfully and effectively drawn to Christ) find the gospel call to be the power and wisdom of God.". He was considered a traitor to the covenant promises of Israel, and a robber of his own people. If you are Mexican, don't try to become American; if you are American, don't try to become Mexican. All of us are prone to asking whether or not the grass may be greener somewhere than where we are living our lives right now. Likewise, he who was free when called is a bondservant of Christ. 20 Each one should remain in the condition in which he was called. Let no man enslave your soul. "A man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps" (Proverbs 16:9). Text: 1 Corinthians 7 Teachings For Singles and Widows "It is good for a man not to marry (v.1)." - For the singles, Paul strongly suggested that it is better for a man not to marry. Understand that ancient slavery, the kind that Paul was familiar with at this time, was very different than the kind of slavery that was practiced in the United States until the Civil War. Am I doing the right thing? How do I bloom where Christ has put me? As a declaration it would be: How you fulfill the demands of your vocation is an essential part of Christian discipleship. In calling us to Himself in Christ at the time He did, and in the place of life He did, and under the circumstances He didwith that upbringing we had, or in that cultural setting in which we live our lives, or with that social standing He has given us in this worldHe has not made any mistakes. The calling of God hits you right there and you are no longer dead in your sins and trespasses, but by the grace of the Holy Spirit your eyes are opened to the goodness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Repent from your sins and ask God to forgive you for what you have done in rebellion against him. And thirdly, I believe we should always strivewherever He has usto be a faithful witness for the Lord Jesus Christ. Sermon Trusting God to Work it Out by Brian Bill. Then verse 24, "So, brethren, in whatever state each of you was called, there let him remain with God." If we translated this really literally, it would go like this, Only to each as God assigned, in the situation in which God has called each thus let him walk.. Responsible Freedom - 1 Corinthians 8:1-13. 24 So, brothers, in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God.1 Corinthians 7:17-24, ESV Now, dear brothers and sisters; how do we apply this principle? Text: Acts 20:17-38 Sermon Series: On Mission. We wonder if the grass is greener or if our good shepherd might be leading us to greener pasture syndrome. Acknowledging God in every moment of every day in prayer. 17 Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. Is this fulfilling my personal goals and aspirations? Paul then learned of divisions . The word "calling" here refers to vocation or station in life. And note one more thing. Christianity is not a revolutionary religion of upward social mobility. 24 So, brothers, in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God.1 Corinthians 7:17-24, ESV The greener grass syndrome, where we look for somewhere else or a different situation where my life would be easier or just flat out better. For this objective teaching of the eternal word of God recorded for us in the scriptures of the Old and new testaments, which is the only rule to direct us concerning God and what duty we owe to God. Then Paul expands that principle to show us that its a general principle that should affect all of our lives. Notice verse 17, "Let everyone lead the life which the Lord assigned to him, and in which God has called him." Instead, they should stay in the marriage in which God had called them to Himself. Look carefully at that phrase as God has distributed to each one. Bible > 1 Corinthians > Chapter 7 > Verse 17 Library Free Downloads eBibles 1 Corinthians 7:17 What matters is not whether our job is high or low in man's eyes. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. We talk about language where we say that God is leading me here or some people say that they have a word from the Lord. Scripture: 1 Corinthians 7:1-7. We have in this congregation nurses, teachers, carpenters, artists, secretaries, bookkeepers, lawyers, receptionists, accountants, social workers, repairmen of various sorts, engineers, office managers, waitresses, plumbers, salesmen, security guards, doctors, military personnel, counselors, bankers, police officers, decorators, musicians, architects, painters, house cleaners, school administrators, housewives, missionaries, pastors, cabinet makers, and many more. Likewise, he who was free when called is a bondservant of Christ. Slaves were sometimes highly educated and trusted with administrative responsibility. The question isn,t am I at the right job or church? But that is not the way Paul has used it eight out of the nine times it occurs in this paragraph. 1 Corinthians 7:19, ESV If so, the application is clear, respond. This is my rule in all the churches. What if its not just me, what if Im disobedient not to go? Gods peace gives us comfort in the midst of our tears. Let me suggest a few things. Between the top two pieces are verses 18 and 19 where the principle is applied to the issue of circumcision and uncircumcision. We dont need to be so concerned with what we are getting out of life. There are times where opportunities present themselves to make something different of our circumstances. Stay Where You're Called (1 Corinthians 7:17-24) In the eleventh century, King Henry III of Bavaria grew tired of court life and the pressures of being a monarch. 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? Many of them had lived very sinful lifestyles. They wrote to the apostle Paul; and they asked him many questions about such things. John Piper Jun 14, 1981. Specifically, the definition that we are going to get about what this calling is toward is in verse twenty-four. We cant help but repent from our sins and turn to him in faith to accept the faith offered in Jesus Christ. New practices and habits begin to be embraced. Then and only then may circumcision (as Paul implies in Romans 2:25) and other cultural distinctives become beautiful, in a very secondary and derivative way as expressions of the obedience of faith. This is seen most clearly in 1 Corinthians 1:23, 24, where Paul says, "We preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." The Sermon below tackles about the Biblical teachings about marriage, marital relationship and divorce. That place that we were in when He called us was no accident. Literally verse twenty says, each one in the calling in which he was called, in this let him remain. Here is the closest place that Paul uses calling in the way that we usually mean it, our responsibilities, our vocation, the assignments that we have in life. Most Popular. Jun 14, 1981. Salvation came to himand right in the middle of a sinful lifestyle. So, the first thing that Paul talks about are these honorable assignments between different people groups. We pray this in Christs name. But before we can understand either of these applications, we need to clarify a key word in the principle itself. Paul says you are missing the point, you dont have to worry about the ethnic or national boundaries that existed in the old covenant because the call of Jesus Christ comes to all kinds of people in all kinds of cultures and the call says, follow Jesus where you are. Should the believer pull out in order to keep pure? Zacchaeus became a new creation by faith in Jesus. As one commentator, Lenski, writes, Paul is taking the minor idea of these assignments that we have, and he is including them with the major blessing to the call to faith in Jesus Christ.. This was meant for all of Gods people in Christ. Now concerning the matters about which you wrote: "It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman." 2 But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband. John 7:1-13, 40-52 Study Guide: What's the Deal with Jesus? Here Paul is telling us assignments in which we are called to abide as we wait for the full fulfillment that Jesus is calling to. We say, white is beautiful, black is beautiful, red is beautiful, yellow is beautiful; therefore, don't try to switch cultures. He wrote; And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. We often use the word "calling" to refer to our vocation: my calling is to be a homemaker; my calling is to be a salesman; etc. Are we doing this in response of faith and the obedience to Jesus Christ in whatever circumstance we find ourselves in? Therefore, when Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7:17, 20, and 24 that we should remain and live with God in the state in which we were called, he means: Remain in the state you were in when you were converted, when you were drawn by God into believing, loving fellowship with his Son. I think it is true in the final analysis that this is not an absolute prohibition of accepting freedom, anymore that verse 18 was an absolute prohibition of circumcision. This is the word of our God for us this morning. NOTE: Paul was separated unto Christ from his mother's womb but not saved until the Damascus Road Galatians 1:15; Acts 9. Let him not be circumcised. Our big idea today is this,We can abide in our circumstances because God calls us to abide with him. Paul is not pronouncing a blanket condemnation upon all those who adopt aspects of other cultures and give up aspects of their own. Were on a mission to change that. "Were you a slave when called? When we are called into a relationship with Jesus, God calls us in a place where we still have our old friends and old relations. And to a certain degree, that new inner life also has an impact on the outer life. The circumstances you are in are relatively unimportant because of the glory that God is calling to you in Christ. Gods Calling Transcends Horizontal Assignments One time he uses the word "calling" in this vocational sense, namely, in verse 20. Let's all pray before we set out to work: "God, go with me today and keep me conscious of your presence. But as you see, Zacchaeus didnt remain in that sinful lifestyle any longer. The Holy Spirit takes the objective, inspired word of God and he illuminates that to my specific details of my life. 3903 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 Seized By Temptation - 1 Corinthians 10:13. Instead what we need to do is to ask for illumination. Likewise, Paul also said, Was anyone called while uncircumcised? As Paul writes in verse 17, And so I ordain in all the churches. This is a foundational principle for every believer in Christ, in every Christian church, in any culture, in any nation of the world, at any time in history. We abide in Christ now, so that when he appears with all his holy angels and all the armies of Heaven, we wont be frightened. What Paul is talking about here, hes not laying out the gospel message about what Jesus Christ has done for us. Those are the vertical, the authority, differentials. John 7:14-24 Study Guide What's the Deal with Jesus? Sermon . What wonderful news that is! 18 Was anyone at the time of his call already circumcised? Do not be concerned about it. Never mind. And if we understand its broad cultural application, it offends all of us. Again Paul answers, no. Now, notice that later on in verse twenty-one, God doesnt prohibit slaves from leaving their circumstances. In Corinth, there was a grave danger facing a girl who had reached the age of marriage. Romans 4:1-5 What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? He applies it like this: if you were converted as a Gentile, don't try to become a Jew. Gods Calling Transcends Vertical Assignments Someone was just as able to be called to God through Christand to live for Jesus just as faithfullyin a state of slavery as much as in a state of freedom. And in this vocation or station in life another calling comes from God. And now, as we continue our study in 1 Corinthians 7, we find that this was not just a principle meant only for marriage. a- Paul at this time is single. 1 Corinthians:7:32 . Paul had planted the church in Corinth on his second missionary journey ( Acts 17:16-18:17 ). Each of you should continue to live in whatever situation the Lord has placed you, and remain as you were when God first called you. It is, in fact, a principle for all those who believe on Jesusand in all the churches that belong to Him. If the Bible tells you something directly and you were planning on going in a different direction, you are objectively sinning.The Bible says to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. This is absolutely imperative to grasp lest we create a new legalism. But otherwise, the believer is to remain in the place where God had called them to Himself; and they should continue walking faithfully with Him there, and allow Him to use them as His witnesses for the kingdom of Jesus. He wrote; But as God has distributed to each one, as the Lord has called each one, so let him walk. b. What matters is whether we are being encouraged and humbled by the presence of God. Likewise he who is called while free is Christs slave. As the Bible tells us, if the Lord Jesus sets us free then we are free indeedeven if, culturally speaking, we are still in a state of slavery. Gods Calling Teaches Us to Abide with God You were bought with a price. Caleb Greggsen pastors an English-speaking church in Central Asia. It doesnt give you a point system; its not one of those teen magazines where you can fill out the quiz and get a point score answer to find out who your perfect mate is. In verse 23, Paul said, You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men. And that is the true condition of a new creation in Christ, whether they are a slaves or freedmen. Now, in actual fact, the whole section - from verse 17 through to the end of the chapter, at vs40, really ought to be . Brethren, let each one remain with God in that state in which he was called (vv. But the apostles and church leaders met together, and prayed together, and declared from the Lord that this was not necessary. Now; Paul doesnt just merely state this principle to us. You dont need an objective ruling, you need illumination. First, I believe we should learn to be confident in Gods call for us. If she wanted to marry, and her father would not allow her to do so, she might disgrace her father and ruin her own testimony by marrying the wrong person. For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lords freedman. A brand new inner lifemade gloriously new in Christhas begun. Sermons on 1 Corinthians 7:17-24: showing 1-15 of 94 Sort By Scripture Clear Scripture Filters Rating 5 stars 4 stars or more 3 stars or more Any Rating Date Last Week Last Month Last 3 Months Last 6 Months Last Year Any Time Denominations Adventist (1) Anglican (1) Assembly Of God (4) Baptist (30) Calvary Chapel (2) Show more Language English (93) They had clearly been transformed on the inside; and there were many changes that were happening on the outside too. The fact were urged to stay in the place we were when God called us does not mean that thats where God will always keep us. The question this morning is do you hear Gods effectual call? 1 Corinthians 7:22, ESV